Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Overused boss mechanics

So I felt like making this thread because I wanted to vent a bit about a mechanic I've seen this xpac that I thought Blizz did too much of: shit on the ground.

Not that I can't deal with it, mind you. I know not to stand in fire. What I'm talking about is that there were very few bosses that DIDN'T leave something on the ground that you had to stay out of. It seemed like because people were complaining in Wrath that you could just stand in things all day and never die, Blizz not only upped the damage things on the ground did in Cata, but gave every single goddamn boss something to place on the ground for tanks to kite out of and DPS/heals to stay out of.

I'm asking for Blizz to, in MoP, give raid bosses something original. Something that doesn't involve shitting on the ground all the fucking time!

So...if not this, what are some boss mechs that Blizz gives to too many bosses in WoW that you wouldn't mind never seeing again?
    I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock! I need scissors! 61!

Zon'ozz, nothing to run out of, stuff to run into.
    Yor'shj nothing to run out of, places to run to
    Ultraxion nothing to run out of
    The other bosses? places to run into mostly occasionally to run out of.

Not too many classes in the game right now without some kind of aoe effect. Would you suggest a big nasty bosses that require 10-25 people to kill ONLY do damage to the tank? That's pretty boring.
    Wikipedia is not a reference for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrin View Post
    Would you suggest a big nasty bosses that require 10-25 people to kill ONLY do damage to the tank? That's pretty boring.
    Constant AoE fests are just as boring as none. There's nothing wrong with variety. Patchwork was pretty much tank only damage and due to mechanics was enjoyable. Sometimes an enrage or target switch is refreshing when there is nothing but AoE to go around.

I agree with the OP. It's kind of annoying that almost every boss since WotLK has been AoE heavy.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    anything that needs a kick or etc
    Kick or the raid wipes Tier 11 style? Oh man that was a great mainly the Maloriak one

Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    Kick or the raid wipes Tier 11 style? Oh man that was a great mainly the Maloriak one
    lmao or heroic halfus

Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    I hated that and I only did the fight on normal. If you are going to add a mechanic that requires an interupt it needs to be in the style of if you dont kick me before my 3s cast is over you are going to die over Mals you need to kick me within 1 second or ima mess up your raid but I also have another move that needs to be interupted but not all the time so make sure im using the right move before you kick me.

Also ground based damage skills along with skills that do damage in relation to your positioning with others are how you get people to move during boss fights because standing still and doing your dps rotation gets stale fast.

If i had to remove something it would be singragosa style "i pull you somewhere and you have to run fast or die" Sadly I still play wow on a laptop thats a few years older and a lot of time the effect of pulling a whole raid to a target location kills my fps. 90% of my sindragosa escapes were very very close.
    Last edited by Threndsa; 2012-05-14 at 05:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, overused boss mechanics suck.. but I think underused ones, or unique fights can just be as bad if the practicalities of the fight turn out badly.
    I did not like heroic Rhyolith at all. That is my least favourite fight of this expansion. However, it is fairly unique. Supremus comes to mind as its closest relative..
    (I may be biased as the appointed foot-caller)

I actually really enjoyed the 'kick or the raid wipes' thing.. Hehehe..

I want another fight like the heigan.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now that I think back at Burning Crusade bosses, there really wasn't much of that...

Damn. How times have changed.

Stack debuff on tank then tank swap...

I understand the need to put in mechanics (Morchok normal, Blackthorn) to force the need for 2 tanks but can we get out of this mindset and not go too far the other way and have about half the fights only require 1 tank (Yor'Sahj, Zon'Ozz, Spine, Madness).

Come up with some new ideas to force tank swaps or tank rotations, i liked the robo-tron encounter in t11 with 4 bosses to rotate between and still avoid other shit as a tank.

Deleted
    Not really a mechanic, but I hate fights that is basically the same thing over and over again.

I prefer dynamic fights where the boss almost feels like its adapting to you fighting it. For example the lich king, big adds (forget name) not killing this raid, time to use valkyrs and drop them off the edge! dam my valkyrs are getting killed, time to suck them inside Frostmourne and send some of my trapped souls to blow them up! then o sh!t im on 10% health these guys mean business time to 1 shot them all.

Then ultraxion who just requires 1 mechanic (and Deathwing has the cheek to call Sinestra / nef / onyxia nothing compared to him) and decent dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dps race so fkin boring and Slow adds. The last phase of heroic dw which should have been the most epic fight in cata was... slow adds which couldn't have come off as more fail. How they could make heroic rag one of the funnest fights they have ever done then fail so bad at heroic dw i have no idea.
    Aye mate

More Flame Wreaths please! I swear it was blizzard's dirty little joke. "i'm in something, move out of it" is a principle we practically commit to muscle memory and blizz surrounds you in fire that wipes the raid if you try to get out of it.
    Last edited by TommyJohn; 2012-05-14 at 06:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    To vehemently defend the claim like OP would is to present to these very forums a ludicrous display of ignorance and unawareness so profound and comical that it might actually deserve its own time slot on The History Channel.

Not that many really. T11 had a lot of kicks and crap on the ground, FL had a lot of adds, DS doesn't really have a lot of either. I'd say they mix them up a bit tier to tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    lmao or heroic halfus
    At least after the patch the tank could handle that solo.

The worst was on Nef... swim up out of the lava without glitching on the edge to get your kick in in like half a second. Brutal :P

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
    More Flame Wreaths please! I swear it was blizzard's dirty little joke. "i'm in something, move out of it" is a principle we practically commit to muscle memory and blizz surrounds you in fire that wipes the raid if you try to get out of it.
    Kara was lots of fun. There were very few "stay out of X" fights and more of the "run/stay out of X which surrounds the boss". The boss fights back then were definitely more unique than now (but simpler by today's standards I'd say).

Nothing screwed up my group more then Holy Fires on Maiden... We used to wipe and wipe and wipe for hours upon hours... Wish we'd had a shaman!

Fights need something where the healers need to do something. Things like Grand Widow with MCing was tons of fun back in Vanilla because there were no Shadow priests so you had to have a healer do it. AoE is essentially.... everything now in fights and it's just stupid. It's fine to make final encounters something new but I still remember when EVERY boss had SOMETHING new about it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or those that screwed up on the beams on Netherspite, not having a warlock for Illhoof, Nightbane and warriors having to stance dance through the fear, or a simple Fear Ward from a dwarf priest... Man, those were the days

Deleted
    Give us some kicks, MC, fire on the ground, CC, etc. PLZ.