When I was playing D2 sorceress on hardcore, I had a pretty clear target for myself: gather full Tal-Rasha set and some particular unique items for myself and for the merc. It was a sensible target as TR was a signature set for the class with pretty good stats/bonuses (even if the item didn't roll perfectly). And I also got pretty close to hitting that target, only missing a few uniques, before my character got expired due to me leaving for other online games.

With Diablo 3 I so far find it hard to recognize a similar target. Yes, there is a TR set, which is green and has some bonuses, but it does not seem to be appealing at all. A mere random rare item normally (by sampling auction house) has a lot better capacity than most legendary / set items, so the TR set probably would not be even close to "best" range of gear.

Also, I see that TR is no longer a class signature set. Yes, it has some flavour of what it was (by providing elemental damage set bonus), but seeing as it is overly randomised and may roll as something like very high str+dex+vit, I can't in all honesty see it as a wizard signature set.

And, granted that TR isn't guaranteed to be appropriate, it still is listed for millions of gold on the auction, which further decreases its appeal.

Now, I do not say that the game is wrong. Blizz knew what they wanted and that is what they coded, and many people are fine with it. I do not call them out for changing the game from 'get nice drop and equip it' to 'farm gold, buy stuff'. This scheme might even work out for me if I learn to play the auction house.

I am merely curious as to what can be a target to look up to. Simply farming gold is not an appealing target. Collecting a mediocre set which costs a fortune is not either.

What are your thoughts on this? What are you aiming at in D3?

Thanks for reading, hope to hear some constructive thoughts.