Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Was browsing through reality tv channels and came across a show called 'Gypsy Brides US' it's basically a mirrored version of the British one lol. Same dress style, same dance moves :S same ridiculously flashy dresses etc.... made by one dress maker. They were Romani though and not Irish but still should give a little insight into the culture. I'd recommend watching the British one as well though (My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding) if you can stand the accents.

Deleted
    Just to throw my two cents (pence) in on this, I think every experience I've had of gypsies has been a bad one. There's a particular family who come to the shop I work at regularly that are known thieves and are actually banned. Yet they still come nearly every week just to cause trouble I'm sure as they never get served. Our security follows them around and the mother kicks up a stink with the whole "why ya followin my family, stop stalking us, f*ck off" usual stuff while the kids line their pockets right in front of everyone. We have to get the police out regularly as they won't leave and won't stop stealing.

Also, there's a "camp" down by a main road leading into the city centre. I put camp in quotation marks 'cos they've built a 10ft concrete wall around it, with only one gate in and out. It's like a bloody compound. It's no wonder no ones done anything about them. They have those little ponies/horses that they just let stroll around freely and there's been loads of times that traffic comes to a standstill 'cos some horse is sat in the middle of the road. They're too tame to be moved with a car horn so it becomes a real problem. The camp regularly has a pile of burning tyres outside, even saw a burning van once...

Oh and, Wales has just opened a country long footpath which stretches a few hundred yards behind the camp. The gypsies were in the local paper saying how it invades their privacy and anyone using the footpath will be 'dealt with'. Lovely bunch.
    Last edited by mmoca1ca401d7e; 2012-06-03 at 09:12 PM.

The reason you don't see them in the USA is because we have a right to bear arms and protect our property from trespassers.

Deleted
    A couple of my friends got robbed by them and one of my friend happens to live pretty close to the gypsies so they threatened to kill him(since he reported the robbery to the police) so he was recommended by the police that he shouldn't leave his house for around 3-4 weeks and the police drove by a couple of times everyday.
    Last edited by mmoc9ac976a8f4; 2012-06-03 at 10:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Gypsies do not pay taxes, yet expect the same treatment as tax payers. This means free health service, free education, free protection from the police and fire service as well as unemployment benefits.
    Aren't police obligated to protect and serve, regardless of whether or not that person is a citizen or not? Hell, aren't they still technically obligated to protect and serve tinfoil hat types that insist all police are evil?

---------- Post added 2012-06-03 at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post
    The reason you don't see them in the USA is because we have a right to bear arms and protect our property from trespassers.
    Hah, this. Thievery is a great way to get shot in any state that has Castle Doctrine laws.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I'd like to see you try to defend yourself when the guy's entire extended family break down your door and beat ten colours of shit out of you for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Not to mention their construction/paving 'businesses' tend to take advantage of the elderly and vunerable by bullying them into work then charging huge amounts for substandard work.
    These are the ones Ive heard of in the US.

Gypsies are a very old tribe that have been roaming europe and asia for centuries, the problem is that they've never adapted to modernization now you have to have paper a fixed home things that gypsies don't have.

And about stealing robing and begging ... can't really deny what you see they are very good and very organized and can defend themselves, you have the women that are begging in every subway station usulay with a newborn child, you have the childrens that are pickpocketing they don't risk anything as they are children and the men that are doing the big businesses.... you don't see them alot excpet when they come pick up the children and women.

They are hated by everyone so they probably hate us too, this is a dificult situation, they will probably will be the first one to pay when nationalism come back in europe.
    Unfortunaltey there's no real solution as long as this circle keep going, children don't go to school men don't work, they are considered parasites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'd like to see you try to defend yourself when the guy's entire extended family break down your door and beat ten colours of shit out of you for it...
    I guarantee you there are more gun owners willing to use those guns than there are Romanis on the entire surface of Earth. They'd lose.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I am from germany, and yet i never met one, so my position is neutral, since i dont give much about prejudices.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzykizzy View Post
    I'm also from the netherlands and I wouldn't really say we have any big issues with gypsies but more often a whole different group of people..you know what I'm talking about..the ones that come from 'down there' and cannot be named because then they'll come after you with their whole family, make threats on your life...etc
    Haha you are correct. I didn't want to say we have a real problem here with gypsies but the gypsies we have here act exactly as the other gypsies in Europe. We do however have a problem with those people from 'down there'...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Ive heard that in the UK for example they get special treatment under the law.

For example, if they set up a camp on someones private property there is nothing the police will do about it.

Is this true, or have i been misinformed?
    For the 12 years when they were in power, the Labour Party took everything from low paid hard workers and gave it all to welfare spongers.

Gypsies completely trash the land they live on and make the lives of people around them a misery.

They therefore get special treatment and more rights than anyone else.

As usual the country's hardest low paid workers get fleeced of their tax money to pay for it.

What you have heard is all true.

Deleted
    Gypsies are rude people with nothing but respect towards some god called allah, and that's basically all they respect, besides their own people maybe. Like someone said earlier it's not like I haven't ever met a nice person, but the odds of meeting a nice gypsy is just as much as you winning the lotto. The worse thing about all this is I wish I was racist, joking even... but unfortunately I am not.

We dutch people are generally known for our rudeness or what so ever, and yeah we are big mouthed that's for sure, but gypsies... damn I am just impressed how rude you could possibly be? No manners, no respect towards anyone else but themselves and I really wouldn't bother these people if they'd just leave others alone but from what i've seen (luckily not experienced myself) they just group up against one helpless person and beat the crap out of him just because they don't share the same faith of a certain god or just because they like to do it. They also don't obey the rules and laws made by our government, if there's a criminal activity somewhere 9 out of 10 times a gypsy is involved aswel. and you know what? Our government thinks that's okay; the only one trying to actually take care of it is a guy named "Geert Wilders" and people that obviously watch the politics discussing and knows what's best for us. They all start blaming this guy for things he has never said and so is his reputation is set to begin at a downfall.

Now since everyone is okay with exploits, thievery, murdering and raping there's nothing we should worry about with these "gypsies" that are living between us, right?

Deleted
    They are nomads. They steal, trash places and are generally cruel and violent. Pretty much all was said. I dont like them , BUT i will say few nice (more or less) things about them so we got things fair. They dont deal with prostitution of any kind (no its not bout respect for their females, its about honor in family- no outsider can touch their girls freely). They dont deal drugs, they got their own moral code ( i know, its hard to believe) - knowing that (and keeping your money and precious things on sight ) can make dealing with them easier. And they do have beautifull artistic culture (songs, storytelling ) and long tradition in future forseeing Almost every gypsie can scry from cards.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarqon View Post
    Gypsies are rude people with nothing but respect towards some god called allah, and that's basically all they respect, besides their own people maybe.
    Sorry but it is a mistake to think gypsies are religious people, and especialy muslims, they have taken the religion of where they live so mostly catholics and Orhtodox and a few muslims but a minority. It's not about respecting anyone it's about surviving, they are stuck in this situation from genration to generation these people are surviving like this since the begining of time....
    You can blame them but that's not really their fault, it's not like the average gipsy decide one day that he wants to be a criminal it's from generation to generation of surviving against persecution.

Deleted
    Gypsies are rude people with nothing but respect towards some god called allah, and that's basically all they respect,
    honestly do take few seconds and thing about what you have wrote. And do try to check before posting. Gypsies adapt religion of country they are in, they are not muslims as a nation...

Deleted
    Gypsies are rude people with nothing but respect towards some god called allah, and that's basically all they respect, besides their own people maybe. Like someone said earlier it's not like I haven't ever met a nice person, but the odds of meeting a nice gypsy is just as much as you winning the lotto. The worse thing about all this is I wish I was racist, joking even... but unfortunately I am not.

We dutch people are generally known for our rudeness or what so ever, and yeah we are big mouthed that's for sure, but gypsies... damn I am just impressed how rude you could possibly be? No manners, no respect towards anyone else but themselves and I really wouldn't bother these people if they'd just leave others alone but from what i've seen (luckily not experienced myself) they just group up against one helpless person and beat the crap out of him just because they don't share the same faith of a certain god or just because they like to do it. They also don't obey the rules and laws made by our government, if there's a criminal activity somewhere 9 out of 10 times a gypsy is involved aswel. and you know what? Our government thinks that's okay; the only one trying to actually take care of it is a guy named "Geert Wilders" and people that obviously watch the politics discussing and knows what's best for us. They all start blaming this guy for things he has never said and so is his reputation is set to begin at a downfall.

Now since everyone is okay with exploits, thievery, murdering and raping there's nothing we should worry about with these "gypsies" that are living between us, right?
    Yeah broken english is broken, I had make this post quickly, sorry guys.. but I think I made myself clear anyway so I'm not going further into it

At first, I wasn't sure whether I should reply to to this thread at all or simply leave it alone. I find this entire thread somewhat embarassing and racistic at the same time.
    I'm personally from the Romani people in Norway, I know the language, the history, et-all.

It's true that 90% of my family-members are as described in this thread, heck, even other families and clans. To be honest though, most of the skepticism towards us started after the Holocaust and World War 2, after the Nazis decleared us enemies together with the Jews. Even after, most countries actively persecuted us. Everything from disbanding families by simply executing them, sterilizing women by force, placing children in institutions and simply executing males.

I come from Norway, I've been born and raised here, just like my parents. Here, we call anyone not from our "family" or "romani/gypsy people" farmers because that's what most people really were ~300 years ago. My family for instance, were subject to such persecution. My mother and her siblings was placed in institutions spread across the country, my grandmother was sterilized by force and my grandfater executed by the government in the 60's when the government realized who they were.

It's a lot of secrecy around it still and most places in Norway you've gotta keep it secret, which family you're appart of, heck, even your cultural heritage and your own history to avoid persecution and worse.

That's just one example, my mom have been a honest woman all her life and in recent years sued Norway for the persecution she was subject to as a child (like loss of education for example) and got a hefty sum for keeping it quiet. We've still gotta hide, cast away everything we know and adapt to avoid this kind of thing, even now.

For instance, I wouldn't be able to finish, or even begin my studies if it became known I was one of the romani people. Let alone get the University I attend to read my application. I'm actually 3 weeks away from finishing my Masters in Nanotechnology. It's not like everyone's a bad seed.

Just don't forget about all the persecution they've suffered through generations, that's still going on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    Sorry but it is a mistake to think gypsies are religious people, and especialy muslims, they have taken the religion of where they live so mostly catholics and Orhtodox and a few muslims but a minority. It's not about respecting anyone it's about surviving, they are stuck in this situation from genration to generation these people are surviving like this since the begining of time....
    You can blame them but that's not really their fault, it's not like the average gipsy decide one day that he wants to be a criminal it's from generation to generation of surviving against persecution.
    we are willing the give those people money until they find a job, education.. god you name it and we will give it to them. They just really refuse to participate in our majority. Everyone has a choice and your grandfather being a dick because of faith has nothing to do with you being a nice person or someone that's just a rude mouthed asshole (sorry for the language ^^).

Deleted
    I used to live down the road from Dale farm which was the biggest Gypsy camp in England apparently ._. Most of them were rude and obnoxious but I actually managed to find a couple of Gypsys who didn't want to beat my face in! Anyway apparently when they got moved out a couple of months back,they apparently just moved into a field about 0.5 miles away.