Lost my job feeling bit hopeless and lost need some tips?

Good evening folks well today had a store meeting with everyone i worked with and district manager and HR was there so they decided to close our store down. About 30 of us are now officially jobless starting June. 28th. I will still be working there till the last day, but I feel lost and now hopeless cause i was making good money and i was only there for 5months (I'm a computer tech) and i don't feel like i can find work anywhere else cause every place is asking for 2+years of experience in my field. What i am basically trying to ask is anyone who has lost their jobs due to company's closing down how did you deal with it? I am going to lose everything in my eyes since i won't be able to pay for nothing i feel like i pretty much just lost at the game of Life i had a wonderful job and it got ripped away from me =(

Any tips? I am actively applying already sent my resume out to 4 locations today (keeping fingers cross but what if i don't get a job after my time is up at this company )
    Any prize that's worth having usually requires a risk. No matter how big the risk don't ever think twice just do it!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all about connections. I'd try and go out and meet and greet with people in your industry- try and get some face to face time with people and let them know what's going on and let them know you love to work.

Make up business cards if you haven't already and make them stand out so you're memorable. It's a worthwhile investment and you can google innovative card designs. I had a boss that purposely wore the ugliest ties he could find so people would remember him.

Put your resume and contact information on every job site there is.

Unemployment benefits if available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be thankful your not in New Zealand... I've been out of work for 3 years after having to leave a job due to medical reasons - have applied for over 600 Jobs since.

Its quite common to hear of a job(s) opening up some place, they advertise and get hundreds of applications for 3 positions...

I'm in auckland, new zealand. And what you're saying is complete and utter bullshit. There are plenty of jobs around, from labouring to working in fast food to office jobs. Was out of a job for about 2 months, easily found another.

Sounds like you're one of those types who are content to stay on the dole or doesn't even look.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get on unemployment and apply for the dislocated worker program. They will help pay for job training. I would look at some sought after certifications. I'm taking the CCNA course at a community college by where I live. Applying for jobs from the job boards is not that effective. I just email contacts with my resume and let them know where you are at and why you think that you can do the job. I usually get interviews doing that. Some places have all kinds of stupid stuff they make you go through just to apply for a job. I would avoid spending time doing that shit, it will just discourage you.
    As far as your stuff, man it is just material stuff that will rot anyways. Sell what you can if things get tight. Spend time with RL friends and family.
    I will say that the economy could get really bad. Several of my friends have told me their companies have started laying off people. If finding a job fast isn't something that is going to happen, just think about ways of trimming down your lifestyle. (i waited to long before I switched to the rigid life of self denial that I do now). I also rent out a couple bedrooms in my townhome to get some passive income during my time unemployed.

@OP: What sort of bills/expenses do you have to pay? Also, where do you live?

First, I would talk to HR/Management to see if you can get a position at another store. It might be a long shot, but it's better than nothing.

Second step really depends on your financial situation.
    If you have enough saved up, just keep applying for jobs and try and collect whatever unemployment benefits you can.
    If you're flat broke with bills to pay, apply for anything and everything you can. Supermarkets usually have positions available - even if it's part time/casual, still take it. You're still getting some income, and you have time to look for a better job. Bars usually have Bussy positions available, which is also another decent short-term job until you get back on your feet.

Thirdly, and this should really take place before the first two, is to cut down your expenses. It's surprisingly easy to find expenditures to cut to keep yourself afloat - Cook yourself instead of takeaway. Don't go out drinking. Quit paying for the gym. Buy home brand instead of the fancy label.
    There's a hundred ways to trim the fat - you just need to look at it realistically.
    Last edited by saberon; 2012-06-04 at 07:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

if u like the job your in and would like to continue doing that job then obv apply to other firms, in the meantime if u do find yourself out of work then try and find any sort of work to keep you busy while wait for the opening you desire, firms take a better view of some1 who hasnt just sat on thier arse while waiting for a job t turn up - its strange but theres a saying that goes "its easier to find a job if your already in a job", whether thats true or not idk, but the 2 times ive been put of work ive took a labourors job after a few weeks and within 2 weeks of that ive got a call asking if im available to the job i want to do

Deleted
    Whenever I read a post like this I really ask myself why the Americans are against social insurances...

In Germany you had 1 year time to get a new job without having to worry about your income.

Only thing you can do is to aply for jobs you want to do, and meanwhile: Mc Donalds is everywhere, should be possible to earn some money until you get a better job again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    Whenever I read a post like this I really ask myself why the Americans are against social insurances...

In Germany you had 1 year time to get a new job without having to worry about your income.

Only thing you can do is to aply for jobs you want to do, and meanwhile: Mc Donalds is everywhere, should be possible to earn some money until you get a better job again.
    We have that but it only goes for 6 months in the US and the government calls it unemployment insurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    Mc Donalds is everywhere, should be possible to earn some money until you get a better job again.
    Even McD's is picky about who they hire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Deleted
    I don't know how old you are, But I was watching a TV show in the UK a few years ago called Question Time About the lack of jobs in the UK, and one of the panellist said- People expect to find jobs made by other people, and less & less people are starting their own business so less jobs there will be, and young people expect other to do the hard bit, and you just come alone and fill that vacancy - your are a Tech support, so how well do you know your field, do you drive? could you set up something for yourself-

I know 2 people that lost their jobs in the last year - both of them now work for themselves, one is a mobile pat tester, and the other with his wife is a rented property inspector, basically they go into owned pre-rented homes, catalogue the condition, with photos etc -
    Last edited by mmocae06178e2b; 2012-06-04 at 09:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Start applying to jobs NOW. Hirers favor people already with a job and for some industries interview processes take months. You don't want a huge gap of time between the last time you performed your skills and the time you interview.

Consult with HR and your boss what their policy is on references. Some HR departments will only confirm dates of employment which can be of little help when future prospective employers try to get in touch with your references. Make a journal of the things you did at your job, make sure to point out any successes, achievements or improvements you did for the business; you may also take note of the positive feedback you have been given by coworkers and superiors. Confirm with bosses and coworkers the items in the journal. Why? Cuz it sucks when you sell yourself well to hirers but no one can confirm or deny what you have said. Make sure you're on excellent terms with your current boss.

Start looking for work NOW! Take note of certifications or skills they need and you may lack and try to enroll in a course and ask for financial aid to make up for this lack of skill. Better to spend some money on that now than want to do it later when your savings and unemployment start drying up.

Check if your state has unemployment centers. Some states offer job assistance to workers of all skill levels and industries, check if your state offers something like that.

Attend career fairs and network, polish your Facebook and LinkedIn profiles.

If you end up applying to medium-sized firms, check out Glassdoor.com for insider info for these companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

As well as all the stuff already said here, a few more things could help. First of all, keep in touch with the people you worked with. They are in the industry and some of them are likely to have longer work experience and manage to find a job easier. Having one of them put up a good word for you might help you get the job you need and have them overlook your short experience. Also, it's easier to handle the mental side of being unemployed when there's people in the same situation as you are.

Second, even if unemployed, don't get stuck inside the house. Meet your family, travel, study, anything you can tell your future boss you were doing. In customer service, languages are always a plus, and many employers appreciate employees who they know aren't burdened by family troubles and have already seen the world (as to better understand other cultures and aren't likely to take a year of to "see the world"). It's hard to convince someone you are a hard worker if all you have done past the last year is to play WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Simmias View Post
    I'm in auckland, new zealand. And what you're saying is complete and utter bullshit. There are plenty of jobs around, from labouring to working in fast food to office jobs. Was out of a job for about 2 months, easily found another.

Sounds like you're one of those types who are content to stay on the dole or doesn't even look.
    i wish i was there been trying for 3 years now i live in scotland#

and it is quite bad here applied for about 20 this month alone not a single reply