Tips on wizard build

Tweaking build online and I came up with this one http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...jSO!YXf!baYaZb any thoughts or ideas for improvment would be great thanks!

what difficulty are you playing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Swap Diamondskin for Fracture Teleport, Energy Armor for venom Hydra, Arcane Orb for Ray of Frost together with coldblooded, glass cannon and critical mass and you have my build.

Got plenty of Act 3 5stack clears with this build.
    Last edited by vian; 2012-06-07 at 09:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I am just getting ready to start inferno

Deleted
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...jSP!YXb!YbYaZZ

This is mine and works perfectly for inferno act 1 and 2 so far. As a wizard, you dont really need a signature spell at all. Blur instead of evocation might be a good idea if the patch 1.03b leaked notes are true though.

Id definitely recommend getting the hydra and mirrors. Hydra allows to do decent damage while kiting or even through the walls with wallers and indoor areas and the 5 mirrors can keep champions occupied for a few seconds allowing you to stand still and spam orbs at them.. and it has short CD too.

you are gonna kite a lot in Act2 so you'll better get Blizzard or Teleport and Hydra is pretty much mandatory for Act2+

also Force armor or Prismatic armor runes for Energy armor

anything else is pretty much viable

Deleted
    Force Armor or Prismatic Armor runes are close to mandatory unless you plan on corpse run cheesing on any remotely difficult elite pack. So is Hydra and Blizzard is pretty useful as well.

Forget Enduring Skin on Diamonskin rune, get Crystal Shell. With only a 10k absorb you'll be lucky if it lasts 2 seconds let alone 8.

Force Weapon is a luxry that some builds allow themselves. Force Weapon AND Familiar is just asking for death, stick with just FW or neither.

Basically if you didn't catch the gist of all that already - you'll have to kite and survive. Fully immobile glass cannon builds are not viable unless you outgear the content, if you're doing the Acts in lower or mediocre gear then you'll need more defense. Your build looks more like something you'd use to do quick farm runs of Act 1 after outgearing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Basically if you didn't catch the gist of all that already - you'll have to kite and survive. Fully immobile glass cannon builds are not viable unless you outgear the content, if you're doing the Acts in lower or mediocre gear then you'll need more defense. Your build looks more like something you'd use to do quick farm runs of Act 1 after outgearing it.
    Id have to argue with that a little. Fully "immobile" build with mirrors is very viable. It basically works like this - you put down hydra, kite, use diamond skill and pots should you get hit or enemy comes too close or jails you, then when mirrors are up, use them, take a step back so they tank and spam orbs or other high damage spells till the mirrors die.

The plus sides are that this works well with jumpers, shields and burrowers and things like that just as well while kiting with slows doesn't.

OP build doesn't seem to be capable of getting inferno done, maybe act 1 but no further.
    Force armor rune on Energy armor becomes a must, and so does teleport for lots of situations.
    Also Illusionist passive goes very well having duplicates images, and teleport.
    This is the build I'm using, just made me get act 2 done without too much troubles: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...ROQ!YXd!bYZbYZ
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...RmS!XcY!aabbcZ

Is what I'm running with in Inferno. It's a total glass cannon build but I can kite with it extremely efficiently. Only affix I have to skip is reflect damage. Also people who aren't using signature spells clearly haven't stacked enough +attack speed, if you "max" it out you'll run out of AP in a flash, but thanks to the same attackspeed increase and Prodigy passive talent + AP on crits on gear I get it back in a second of electrocuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...RmS!XcY!aabbcZ

Is what I'm running with in Inferno. It's a total glass cannon build but I can kite with it extremely efficiently. Only affix I have to skip is reflect damage. Also people who aren't using signature spells clearly haven't stacked enough +attack speed, if you "max" it out you'll run out of AP in a flash, but thanks to the same attackspeed increase and Prodigy passive talent + AP on crits on gear I get it back in a second of electrocuting.
    I really can't imagine how you can survive inferno without neither of teleport, images, force armor nor any slow, and by using a fully stationary dps spell (disintegrate).
    How can you kite "extremely efficiently"?
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
    I really can't imagine how you can survive inferno without neither of teleport, images, force armor nor any slow, and by using a fully stationary dps spell (disintegrate).
    How can you kite "extremely efficiently"?
    Thanks to reduced cost on Blizzard and ridiculous AP regen and attackspeed, I can cover multiple screenlengths in Blizzard, and tossing them on the run really doesn't slow me down at all, again thanks to the attackspeed. Mind you, I'm obscenely geared towards damage otherwise as well. Not saying I'd go with this build in HC, but I was guessing this is softcore we're speaking. One mistake and it'll cost me my life, but I'm getting good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Thanks to reduced cost on Blizzard and ridiculous AP regen and attackspeed, I can cover multiple screenlengths in Blizzard, and tossing them on the run really doesn't slow me down at all, again thanks to the attackspeed. Mind you, I'm obscenely geared towards damage otherwise as well. Not saying I'd go with this build in HC, but I was guessing this is softcore we're speaking. One mistake and it'll cost me my life, but I'm getting good at it.
    But Blizzard doesn't actually slow does it? I admit I've never used it, but the tooltip doesn't mention any slowing effect.
    The thing is, looooots of mobs are simply way faster than our heroes, so a sort of distraction (images), or teleport, or slows, or the ability not to get 1 hit (force armor), is pretty much a must.
    Am I wrong? I might be doing completely wrong.

Blizzard slows mobs. Don't know why, but it does, and like a dream, like the other guy said you can cover half the screen with it and make the mobs chase you through it. I couldn't do fast mobs almost at all before figuring this out and like this invulnerable minions, wallers, jalielers, whatever go down easily. Only problem is might run into enrage issues later, not sure. So far so good.

I'd guess cold damage always slows? No real idea.

I'm doing Inferno Act 2 with blizzard + venom hydra as the only dps abilities and kiting is super easy with slow mobs and teleport, diamond skin, energy armor and force weapon (and movement speed on boots).
    Last edited by Summer; 2012-06-07 at 11:32 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
    But Blizzard doesn't actually slow does it? I admit I've never used it, but the tooltip doesn't mention any slowing effect.
    The thing is, looooots of mobs are simply way faster than our heroes, so a sort of distraction (images), or teleport, or slows, or the ability not to get 1 hit (force armor), is pretty much a must.
    Am I wrong? I might be doing completely wrong.
    It does indeed slow, and I'm not surprised you thought so, I ignored the skill completely until trying it out at 60 thanks to tooltip not telling it actually slows.
    I've also got max running speed on my boots, and that and Blizzard seems to be enough to get away from even the fast affix mobs. For teleporting bogies I usually don't even stop running for a millisecond, most of the time keeps me from getting hit at all. If there's a nasty pack with LOADS of teleporting minions I do the usual Blizzardblanket with a venom hydra, run to the edge of the screen to pop Archon which usually guarantees me to kill the pack before it even has time to teleport, and even if it does I can take a hit or two thanks to the increased defenses Archon provides and by then at least the pack will be dead on the floor.