Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Between the two, pick Rift. Aion's pretty meh. Might as well try Aion first though since its free, but I doubt it'll be fun

I'd say Rift. To be honest, Rift has the best raiding content by far these days. I'm not sure about other content, haven't played it for a while. But if my friends weren't bound to WoW because of progress/nostalgia, I'd get them to play it and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So everything is completely free? It's just supported by an item-shop now?
    Yes, completely free.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    But free doesn't necessarily mean it's good, and with Aion, I stopped playing within 10 minutes. I've played WoW, Rift and GW and wanted to see what what was so good about Aion.
    10 minutes isn't enough time to judge a game. Hell, you haven't even gotten into the combat system at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    Tera is awful.
    SWTOR has no content.
    Go with Rift...
    Tera is awful? How so? It's easily got the best combat and PvP system of all MMO's right now. I'd be playing it if it wasn't subscription based.
    SWTOR has tons of content, I don't know what you're on... I just found it to get a bit boring as it plays just like WoW.
    Rift, same difference, plays exactly like WoW and was boring because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Rift if you want a fun game to play. Aion if you wanna fap to your hot characters in slutty looking armor. But Aion sucks and still takes forever to hit max level. If you do wanna try Aion I recommend GamezAion. Google them its a great private server with 100x drop and exp rates and its very popular. Hell I bet it probably has more players than the retail version.
    You're confusing Aion with Tera, and there's nothing wrong with slutty looking armor

You say that it takes forever to hit max level like it's a bad thing. It's not WoW, there's tons of good content at lower levels and it's not focused on max level gameplay only.

Also, the normal version is growing, they just added a new server because of it. Going free to play has helped a lot.

Overall, if you like WoW, but want a change of setting, play SWTOR. If you like WoW but like the setting, but WoW is boring now, try Rift. If you're bored of WoW's combat system, try Aion or Tera.

Throwing in a wildcard. FFXIV

rift came out over a year ago btw.

and I'd say RIFT personally, I'm playing it and really enjoying it. in the year it has been out it has really made itself its own mmo I feel, I can level through pvp that is -mostly- balanced (I don't get 1-shot and have a chance at survival even at level 10), and also the game has pretty much most of the features WoW has as well as some features coming in MoP and as well as some of its own unique features, and their update policy is one I love (they push out content much faster than WoW does, you won't see a year of a single raiding tier like in WoW).

also, tera is a good choice but it is kinda expensive, relatively speaking, as it just released not too long ago. you can buy rift for $5 and then pay a monthly fee (so $20 off the bat really, including the $15 monthly fee, but the game itself at a base is just $5)

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift is not only more enjoyable (imo), it's also significantly cheaper.

edit: oh wait is Aion free to play these days? Huh, guess that makes that point moot. Still, Rift is only 5 bucks to buy the box.

Rift. They constantly have stuff going on and new stuff coming out. As far as updating the game goes they are far ahead of the competition with their frequent updates. The game itself is gonna be up to personal preference though.

WoW first 2nd Rift 3rd....

Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    WoW first 2nd Rift 3rd....
    Yeah, I'd put WoW first too if you aren't already bored to tears with it at this point. But really if you started playing WoW right now, you'd probably be wondering where all the people are at. Still if you've never played WoW there is a lot to keep you busy, but if you have played wow and are looking for something else, Rift is a great number 2.

Deleted
    Ok, so .. all MMO's in this correct order:

1. World of Warcraft (Cataclysm or Wotlk)
    2. Aion
    3. Lineage 2
    4. Rift
    5. Anything else but NOT Metin )

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    I still play WoW but if I had to choose between Rift or Aion I'd go with Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift is better than Aion, but I don't see why not to wait for Guild Wars 2.

Rift if you can afford the sub payment. Aion if you want a great F2P.

Aion is free to play, if Rift was as well I'd say Rift, but if you don't want a sub fee, Aion. If you don't mind sub fee, Rift.

Deleted
    Aion is the perfect combination between World of Warcraft and Lineage 2.
    Rift is a medieval style MMO. This style was EPIC and was adopted in Lineage 2 about 8 years ago.

I choose Aion and NOT Rift.

Guild Wars 2 will be nice .. a combination between WoW, Aion and Rift i think

Deleted
    Rift is by far the better game, it's also got an expansion coming out soon so there's going to be tons of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    But free doesn't necessarily mean it's good, and with Aion, I stopped playing within 10 minutes. I've played WoW, Rift and GW and wanted to see what what was so good about Aion.
    Some people don't want to pay sub fees. If you want a completely free game, Aion is probably up there as the best right now. (Completely free, as in, no sub, no purchase at all)

Deleted
    Aion is really bad, I don't like Rift either but that's just my opinion.

Wait until patch 1.9 comes out for Rift then try the F2P portion that goes to level 20.
    See if you like it, then buy it if you do.

I say wait till 1.9 because they are introducing Instant Adventures to lower levels and mentoring (high level players being able to lower their level), which would make levelling WAY better then it is now, because honestly, Rifts levelling is the worst part of the game.

Some Input from an avid gamer that's played a lot of mmo's:

1:WoW is still on top- even though its stail
    2.FFXI - before the 80-99 expansion (3 expansion and a big game patch) it was for you Everquest hardcore players- because of leveling. Now its leveling is on par with wow.
    However, its just about dead and in desperate need of a graphics/engine/both update.
    3.Aion - I'm placing Aion here because the game had a sound foundation in its orginal Korean market, however the leveling process from 20~ to 50 was much worse. Especially when compared to FFXI or EQ/EQ2. However, it is now free to play and many of its leveling and class/role balancing issues have been fixed.
    4.Rift - Free up to 20 (just Like wow), Multi class/roles on one toon (Like FFXI but not nearly as robust). Open World PvP and events (Combo of WoW and I wana say Vangaurd with its open world "events"- could be wrong on the game) Plays a Lot like WoW did.
    5. Swotr - Multiple issues revolving around game play, class balancing issues, and content.

I've Played every single one of these games and for about a month each+ religiously. WoW is still on going because of how easy it is to return and get caught up to the current teir/content. I've tried several times to switch back to FFXI from wow and just can't do it, its an Old and out dated system, though its graphics are still very good for how old it was. Rift and Aion. Tried both just past the 30 day's free and payed for 1 month (60~ total days worth of play time). Because of Aions back ground the game become very grindy and the PvP was the main focus after 25 for leveling, and I don't like being forced into portion of the game I don't like. However it has a great engine, great concept on class and mobility, and very good Graphics, much better than WoW currently + free. As for Rift, it felt like it used to much from other games and didn't have the game play I expected it to have, made it to 30 ish on several different roles, but just couldn't find that one that felt like continuing on. Swotr- had great launch day, was fantastic to play pve or pvp, however its pitfall was the fact that it felt Exactly like wow, but with light sabers. It was plagued by sub-par animation that made some roles (I keep using this because its more universal than to use class since more MMO's are drifting away from traditional class based systems) feel clunky, a huge lack of content with few options for PvP (and world PvP at that).

If your Choice is Aion or Rift- like some one else said try both. Rift is free up to 20 and Aion is completely free. I'd personally Go Aion right now. F2P (dunno if its P2W because of this model- like APB). Has a good chunk of Content (not as much as rift, but has more than rift based off of what you can access for free) and a different approach to its Class and Race system then most other more traditional MMOs.

Now I left of Tera and FFXIV. Tera Looks absolutely stunning and the combat design looks phenomenal can't way to try it out in the next few days. FFXIV was left out because of its huge flop at launch- which a month later made it f2p till this upcoming 2.0 relaunch- yet I doubt the relaunch will be enough to revitalize the game. I made a post as to why in another thread, just look at my history you should be able to find it. Hope this helps you out.