Upgrading Rig - Few Questions

So with my birthday right around the corner, I've gone ahead and decided to "splooge" a little bit and upgrade my computer(Finally get to switch back to Intel, yippee!) However, I do have a few questions about whether or not so and so part will work and I have a few questions about said certain parts. I'll be buying all of the parts tomorrow whenever I get paid. My budget is around $800 give or take a few $$ for some case fans(replacing all of the stock fans that came with my CM case.)

Current Rig:
    Case: CM HAF 922(Absolutely hate it, but it's not within my budget to buy a Corsair case)
    Mobo: ASUS M5A97 AMD 970
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 @ Stock
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 1600 DDR3
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB
    PSU: Corsair TX(I believe, will double-check later) 650 Watt

Upgrading To:
    Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
    GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5(Or the MSI Twin Fozr edition if this is out of stock by tomorrow)
    RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600(Question about this lower in post)
    HS: Corsair H100 or H80(Depending on answer to question lower in post)

Questions:

1 - About the memory I've chosen, I understand that there is little to no difference in the Cas Latencies, but is there a difference in the voltages? Do I want higher or lower voltages? Newegg has the same set of RAM listed under three different prices with three different voltages(the 1.5v being the cheapest and the 1.35v being the most expensive at $49.99).

2 - I've wanted to get into liquid cooling for sometime now and I've decided to put my foot in the door by choosing the H100 as I'd also like to OC my 3570k pas tthe 4.5GHz mark, where I've heard it starts to get a bit hotter and liquid cooling is a good choice to use here. My question is, will the H100 fit in P/P in my CM HAF 922? I've read on multiple forums that it'll fit but I'll have to put 2 of the fans outside of the case if I wanted to do P/P with it, something I'd rather not do to save me the headache. If I can't fit the H100 in P/P in the case, will the H80 fit instead and is it a solid alternative?

Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Solid upgrade path.

If you only plan on using 1GPU going forward you could pickup the Asrock z75 Pro3 which would save you $30.

the common user will not notice RAM performance between different brands. That said, if you currently have 1x4GB stick of Gskill I would just get a second. If you have 2x2GB then I would probably look into the Mushkin Blackline, Gskill Sniper, or Gskill Ares 2x4GB ~$44.

I can't answer if your case will have room for the H80 but I know P/P with the H100 requires a lot of space.

If your goal is to reach 4.5+ clocks, I might suggest switching to the 2500k, getting a nice air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14, and boosting that thing to 4.5+. The Noctua performs almost equal to the H100, costs less, and is easy to install.
    Last edited by hapylol; 2012-06-13 at 01:39 PM.

A layer of fans is 25mm deep, and the H100 has a 27mm radiator, so you would need 77mm (3 inches) of space for a push/pull config. The H80 is the same depth.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend to change some of your chosen components into these:
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi – $100
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts 500W – $70 (room for liquid cooling if u want to get that someday).
    MoBo: ASRock P67 PRO3 – $100
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $205 OR i5-3570K if you are capable of going over budget abit.
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x4GB – $40
    GPU: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GB – $260
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts 500W – $70

Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    I'd recommend to change some of your chosen components into these:
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi – $100
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts 500W – $70 (room for liquid cooling if u want to get that someday).
    MoBo: ASRock P67 PRO3 – $100
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $205 OR i5-3570K if you are capable of going over budget abit.
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x4GB – $40
    GPU: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GB – $260
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts 500W – $70
    I'll chip in and vouch that the Fractal Design Arc Midi is a fantastic case. I'm using it in a build I put together a couple of months ago and it's fantastic. A seriously good buy for the price.

I also agree that the sandy bridge i5 is probably a smarter buy. If you're intending on overclocking at all, the ivy bridge CPUs run hotter, and also overclock less effectively than sandy bridge in general. You'd actually achieve better performance on an i5 2500k if you were OC'ing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythax View Post
    I'll chip in and vouch that the Fractal Design Arc Midi is a fantastic case. I'm using it in a build I put together a couple of months ago and it's fantastic. A seriously good buy for the price.

I also agree that the sandy bridge i5 is probably a smarter buy. If you're intending on overclocking at all, the ivy bridge CPUs run hotter, and also overclock less effectively than sandy bridge in general. You'd actually achieve better performance on an i5 2500k if you were OC'ing.
    You would not achieve better performance with a 2500k. The only time this would happen is extreme overclocks of 4.4+ because Ivy Bridge can run standard voltage(dependent on the chip) to 4.3.

They also do not run hotter so lets not spread bad information around

Fractal Arc Midi is A++ case.