video card making my comp not turn on

Hey im having a problem atm with my video card i just got (link below) i put it in the pcie slot. but it has a 6 prng power plug in and my Power supply only has a 4 prng for it so i put it in that but it has 2 spots open but it locks in but when i try to turn the comp on it doesnt start unless i take the VC out.

i can post pic if needed.

my set up
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($107.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.74 @ Amazon)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($45.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($144.49 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.99 @ B&H)

I don't really know what you mean by 6 prong power plug.... i'm having a hard time imagining it but the video card is causing your PC to not start up because it needs the extra power from the PSU to power it. It won't start without that plug connected (I made the same mistake building a new PC LOL)

edit: Is it the plug seen in this image? http://assets.vr-zone.net/15243/P1040775.jpg

the OCZ website has a good image for you http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-gam...upply-eol.html look at the one with the plugs. your PSU definately has the 6 pin one and it should have PCI-E written on the plug. Try and locate it, it should definitely be there
    Last edited by Nasriel; 2012-06-13 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Deleted
    Are you trying to put your 4 pin motherboard power connector into your graphics card?

As Nasriel said, there's a cable that has PCI-E written on it. Use that one.

Wrong power cable.

10+ Year Old Account
    *facepalm*

Assuming you havent already killed your video card by plugging a 4pin into a 6pin port (It shouldnt even allow you to do that unless you really force it O_o)... TAKE IT OUT IMMEDIATELY.

Never, ever plug something that doesnt fit, or doesnt look like it will fit, into something else. Ever. Square block, round hole.

Your power supply should have a 6pin connector.. as people above said. Hope you've got warranty on that thing still.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    *facepalm*

Assuming you havent already killed your video card by plugging a 4pin into a 6pin port (It shouldnt even allow you to do that unless you really force it O_o)... TAKE IT OUT IMMEDIATELY.

Never, ever plug something that doesnt fit, or doesnt look like it will fit, into something else. Ever. Square block, round hole.

Your power supply should have a 6pin connector.. as people above said. Hope you've got warranty on that thing still.
    If you did kill it don't be stupid and tell them you plugged the wrong cable in otherwise they'll just laugh at you and tell you it's not covered as its your fault it got fried

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Deleted
    Yea is the polarity not the wrong way round if u do that?

Deleted
    It shouldn't fit without much extra force.. and yes the pinout is completely different. It's hard to believe you could force the plug in without bending or damaging the connector on GPU.