Poll: Is the end of used games a good thing for us?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Why shouldn't i be allowed to sell my own property? fucking stupid..

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    Won't somebody please think of the children!

Seriously though, I am an adult now and have a disposable income. I buy all my games new and keep them in a collection. But when I was a kid I had to make a little money go a long way. Having the opportunity to trade in games and buy second hand games is great for kids and people on a limited budget. Sure you can say the big stores rip kids off but I think they learn valuable life lessons and not all kids are stupid, I used to use free adds in magazines to trade games privately as I got a better deal than with the shops.
    I am an adult and have a disposable income too but not every adult wants to keep their games. I would need an an entire room if I kept every game I had ever bought from the intellivision to now. I just don't care to keep games I will never play again.

Not being able to sell games after I'm done with them sucks. I usually hold on to games anyway, but I like having the option to sell them if I want.

Also, I typically buy used games or wait until new releases aren't so new anymore because I feel that a $60 price tag on pretty much any game is absurd.

Deleted
    Hmm. This is quite an old thread which was bumped by a questionable one-time poster, but, seeing as the topic at hand is still relevant and makes for interesting discussion, I've moved it from Gen OT to Video Games Discussion.

I'm on the fence, honestly. Any way to get games cheaper than, what I feel is, the overpriced retail rate, is a plus in my book. However, if I buy a game I would like the money from my purchase to go to the game's developers and, when buying used games, that does not happen.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is a lot more innovation that can be done with online platforms for gaming. I was sad when Blockbuster started it's decline from getting hammered by Netflix, but the only remaining feeling is nostalgia of walking down that wall of new releases. Otherwise, everything we have available is a distinct improvement over what we had.

I feel the same will be true of this scenario...except Gamestop's selling techniques are rude and unwanted. So the one thing I would miss would be Midnight Release events. I can get over that.

I think someone like Steam needs to actually look into a Brick and Mortar interface with the gaming community. Imagine if you could go to the Steam Store, pay a little bit of money to play your purchased games on a top end machine with tons of other gamers. It would reinvent LAN parties and provide a physical advertisement/cool way to purchase their products.

Edit: Not to mention some people who think they can't afford building a computer might be able to shell out $15 for some game time on a stellar PC.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-10-08 at 07:51 PM.

I wish gaming companies would stop being so freaking greedy and just respect the consumer for once. Especially these big companies.

---------- Post added 2012-10-08 at 03:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wolven Descent View Post
    Why shouldn't i be allowed to sell my own property? fucking stupid..
    Because remember, you only bought the permission to pay it. /sarcasm.

I voted no, because even if used game sales ended and all that money went back to the publisher's and/or developer's; I am confident that they would still produce another CoD every year and rake in the profits without actually making any strides in the industry.

Im never going to play wow again and would like to give my account away, blizzard makes this next to impossible.

Its terrible for the consumer to prevent people from selling something they have legally bought. Voted no obviously.

Looks like a lot of people will be disappointed in the future!

I'm completely ok with not being able to sell my games as I've more than had my money's worth out of them, and also because I know I'm helping to ensure that great games continue to be made.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Im never going to play wow again and would like to give my account away, blizzard makes this next to impossible.

Its terrible for the consumer to prevent people from selling something they have legally bought. Voted no obviously.
    Please read the ToS agreement you signed when you created your account and continued to sign each patch that was implemented. Nowhere does it say that you bought your characters, items, or anything else associated with your account. Of course you can't give away or sell something that isn't yours.

And let's be honest, we all know you meant "I would like to SELL my account."

10+ Year Old Account
    I buy many Used Games, solely due to the price. if i can buy a game for under $20, even if it is terrible than i don't feel like i wasted too much money. On the other hand i will happily buy a brand new game the day it releases if i am 90% confident that it is going to be great ( >_> looking at you XCOM EU, Can't wait!)

There is the avenue of just waiting until a game hits the $20 rack for a new copy. I really don't play games online unless it's an MMO, so i really don't have much of a problem waiting a few months to buy a game for 50% the original cost. At that point i've already either played it at a friends house or seen enough video's and read enough reviews to know that i'll enjoy the game.