RAM compatibility issues?

I want to start off by saying that I bought my current computer about a year ago from a custom computer building site and I made sure at the time that my motherboard had 4 slots for RAM and I had 2x4 gig sticks already installed and I am currently looking at buying http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00339X1EM from amazon. This is my first time using 2 different sets of ram sticks in one computer is there any chance I may get some issues or resistance when boot up my computer? I would like to think that ram is somewhat universal these days and that compatibility issues can't or don't often arise, but if anyone out there has past experience please let me know.

Thank you for your time :P

I believe so long as your RAM speeds are the same (this being 1600MHz so the set you have also would be 1600MHz) then you are fine. I've tried it in the past with 2 different speeds of RAM and it didn't even want to start up.

Just to be safe you should check the motherboard website and look for a QVL "Qualified Vendor List" as ram isn't always compatible even if it fits in the slot(s).

I too had issues with just the newer ram, and ended up having to ensure that the older ram was installed too, to essentially bottleneck the speed of the newer ram to get the pc to boot up.
    Last edited by Snowmist; 2012-06-14 at 08:30 PM.

With dual channel you should be okay to mix and match memory kits, but with memory being so cheap getting a single 2 x 8 or a 4 x 4 kit might be worth it. Before you do anything check your motherboards website for the QVL to ensure you are getting the right stuff like Snowmist said.

As Snowmist mentioned, check your mobo manufacturer's website for a QVL, then, try to find a pair that has identical speed. IF you can line up the latency timings, you're smiling.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

10+ Year Old Account
    What did you buy before?

I would say theres an 85% change it'll work just fine. Most boards will even accept different speeds, but all sticks will run at the slowest speed. You SHOULD be okay. as long as the speeds are the same though.

Quote Originally Posted by Perderder View Post
    With dual channel you should be okay to mix and match memory kits, but with memory being so cheap getting a single 2 x 8 or a 4 x 4 kit might be worth it. Before you do anything check your motherboards website for the QVL to ensure you are getting the right stuff like Snowmist said.
    Keyword is *should*, in the past I had 2 different DDR3 kits that were at different speeds and my computer wouldn't even POST, it just kept cycling.

The possibility that you will encounter any problem is 1 out of 10, that is your risk. Generally, for as long as the RAMs are of similar specifications like, speed, latency, they will work together even if the brand/model are different. I have tried to use RAMs of different manufacturer but similar specs and it worked perfectly. Sometimes, it will depend on your motherboard and the brand of the other RAM, better use RAMs of similar brand/specs of those which are common.

my lop top going stuck every time is that RAM prob...