Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    Go on, block my freedom of speech. To say you can use one word and others can't is fucking idiotic, so fuck off with that bullshit.
    I'm not blocking your freedom of speech. You're perfectly free to act like an asshole, just don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Because it's a common narrative with know-nothing idiots that "The Race Card" is used at regular intervals by blacks to get free stuff. Much like everything else they've gotten in this country. Which plays on the far older and more common belief/fear with said know-nothing idiots that black success comes at the detriment of whites.
    You do realise that you're really generalising an entire race and everything you just said reeks of racism?
    Race is a social construct, there are not fundamental differences. You do realise there are plenty of white people on benefits, also getting "free stuff"?

The same reason fuckhead dickhead cunt bitch and whore are consiered offense. Context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, as long as they aren't using it towards me in a way that alludes to slavery like, "Hey nigger, get over here!" or, "Hey, get me a soda nigga!" I honestly don't care what race uses it.

it's racist because white people use it in a way to demean black people, or put themselves over them. black people use it to recognize a brother. in either case, if you use it you're ignorant. i hate it when white people use nigger, nigga, etc., i hate it when black people use nigga, i hate it when anybody says nigg__. also, when black people use it, it leads to white people thinking that it should be ok if they use it, and neiter the black or white person is in the right there. and i say this all from the perspective of someone who's been called a nigger and a nigga, and absolutely hate both.

in short, it's a stupid word used by stupid people, or to give the benefit of the doubt, people who don't know any better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flammington View Post
    So if it's commonly known as friendly slang, why is it suddenly discrimination if a white says it? Either it's racism or not. Regardless of what it refers to, and it's past.
    Because he's not talking about America, he's talking about a place that is 95% black and that's just how the culture is.

It's rude in some countries to lift your pinky at someone, doesn't make it a worldwide issue.

Asking this question on an internet forum to a bunch of fourteen year old white kids playing a game about Orcs and Dragons is stupid and you will get stupid answers.

You really want to know the meaning of the word, watch Alex Haley's Roots and figure it out for yourself.
    If you can't, then live in your ignorance with the rest of these blind fools. Just don't broadcast it because you see people on TV doing it.

I am sorry but I have no patience on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    And the result of using the word on a stranger is probably the same as well so where is the issue ?
    Guess who it would have a MUCH bigger impact on, because of the word's roots? It wouldn't be men. Most men shrug it off, because they know that when used on them, it's more of a general insult like "jerk".

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I'm not blocking your freedom of speech. You're perfectly free to act like an asshole, just don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining.
    There's no need to piss in your ear when your mouths full of shit already.

I think creating double standards on language use is truly an assholes thing to do. Especially if you get all pissy about it when others use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    George Carlin; we will never have another man like him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Guess who it would have a MUCH bigger impact on, because of the word's roots? It wouldn't be men. Most men shrug it off, because they know that when used on them, it's more of a general insult like "jerk".
    Not necessarily. As a lot of people have said, it depends on context, and it also depends on the situation. If you walk down the street yelling it you're going to get some recoil, if you say it to a good friend it's fine, if you use it in an argument with a stranger, it's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    You do realise that you're really generalising an entire race and everything you just said reeks of racism?
    Race is a social construct, there are not fundamental differences. You do realise there are plenty of white people on benefits, also getting "free stuff"?
    Unless you think that all white people are in fact "know-nothing" idiots, then I don't see where I was generalizing an entire race. I'm pretty sure the entirety of whites aren't, which is why I used a specific phase to separate them from the ones who know better. Who don't think this way.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of why this word has means "friend." Using such racially loaded words harkens back to a difficult past. The reason that this word means "friend" when used by a black person, why bitch is less offensive when used by a woman, or any of the other examples of a group making use of the word that has been used to put them down, repress them, and alienate them, is, in a very specific context it can mean, "You and I have the same history, we have suffered together."

Whether or not this actually further serves to alienate the group is up for debate. However, this is a sub-culture's method of protecting itself. Think of it as a similar concept to blood is thicker than water. When use by someone outside that group, it cannot have this effect, so the natural assumption is that it is meant with the original intent. That is the answer to the why in the op. If you want to argue should, feel free. As someone from several different minority groups I can tell you that this is the reason why there appears to be a double standard on racial pejoratives.

Quote Originally Posted by Taenathal View Post
    Nor I. Seems like a very poor justification just because certain people cannot bring themselves to erode away derogatory terms from their vocabulary. You can see it here in this very thread - evidence of discrimination exists all over the place, yet some people still act as if they have a right to say whatever they want. Freedom of speech does not mean you can freely insult each other without consequences.

The lack of empathy is both astounding and quite frankly, scary.
    I have. Well fag not faggot, but close enough. Really though what 2 friends call each other when they are busting each others balls isn't necessarily appropriate for others.

Frankly though if you are going to talk about Freedom of Speech, you can't just talk about racism. Do people have a right to be ass holes? That is the real question.

People treat each other badly in general regardless of race, it seems to me that if person (A) treats people in general badly, and then a person of a different race comes along person (A) treats that person differently(as in nicely) because he is afraid of being called a racist, he is in fact treating that person differently based on their race which is racism. If he treated everybody badly he would just be an ass hole not a racist. Obviously it would be much nicer if he was kind to everybody, but that takes us back to the Freedom of Speech and whether or not people have the right to be jerks. When a person calls another person names with intent to make them feel bad, I don't think the indicator of racism is what words he used but whether or not he was singling out the other person based on race.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    Asking this question on an internet forum to a bunch of fourteen year old white kids playing a game about Orcs and Dragons is stupid and you will get stupid answers.

You really want to know the meaning of the word, watch Alex Haley's Roots and figure it out for yourself.
    If you can't, then live in your ignorance with the rest of these blind fools. Just don't broadcast it because you see people on TV doing it.

I am sorry but I have no patience on this topic.
    Sometimes I forget this, and get sucked into these discussions.

edit: mispost
    Last edited by Imhotep; 2012-06-18 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    There's no need to piss in your ear when your mouths full of shit already.

I think creating double standards on language use is truly an assholes thing to do. Especially if you get all pissy about it when others use it.
    So, it's ok if I call your mother a whore? Women call each other whores all the time, it must be ok!

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-06-19 at 12:00 AM.

Not necessarily. As a lot of people have said, it depends on context, and it also depends on the situation. If you walk down the street yelling it you're going to get some recoil, if you say it to a good friend it's fine, if you use it in an argument with a stranger, it's not good.
    So you just answered the OP's question about the N-Word. Discussion over.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    So, it's ok if I call your mother a whore? Women call each other whores all the time, it must be ok!
    No you're not allowed to use that word. *slaps your hand* Naughty boy!

You can say whatever the fuck you like, when the fuck did sticks and stones get shut down?