Tips for returning player in 4.3.3

So I decided to get back into WoW after quitting at Cata first months. Yeah I know what you're thinking, this is kind of a bad time to get back to WoW, since the xpac is getting dead each day and MoP is coming up. But nevertheless, I want to gear up one of my characters and start raiding!

What I want to ask you is, what do would you do if you were returning right now to WoW and wanted to get into raiding?.

I know I should run heroics like crazy, but after that, what can I do? At what Ilvl should I start to look for guilds or a solid group to raid? Which raids should I do first? What are the "current" raids other than Dragon Soul?. If you think you can give me any other advice, please go ahead.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Heroics till 353, or if you have the G, buy pvp and BoE gear to get str8 there.
    HoT till you get 372 ilv, then LFR and HoT till you get over 380.
    After that find a pug, and jump into DS normal.
    One to Two resets should provide you with the gear to join a casual raiding guild and do a nice run on weekly basis with them for 2-6 heroic bosses.

Warcraft has never been so simple. Enjoy your time while playing.

Deleted
    Like you said, run Heroics, obviously but once you have done normal heroics, you have the hot heroics which are not difficult but require a higher item level and drop epics, these will get your item level enough to use the raid finder for dragon soul, also you will be able to do any of the other raids before as your gear will be more than good enough for these, once you start getting raid finder gear you will be able to do dragon soul normal and then so on until you're able to do heroic raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamos View Post
    Heroics till 353, or if you have the G, buy pvp and BoE gear to get str8 there.
    HoT till you get 372 ilv, then LFR and HoT till you get over 380.
    After that find a pug, and jump into DS normal.
    One to Two resets should provide you with the gear to join a casual raiding guild and do a nice run on weekly basis with them for 2-6 heroic bosses.

Warcraft has never been so simple. Enjoy your time while playing.
    Pretty much sums it up, try to do LFRs early in the week they seem to wipe less.

Tuesday LFRs are always the best, it seems to be when the more geared players do it for VP, Mondays on the other hand, not the most pleasant experience.

Deleted
    yea run heroics and lfr to get the itemlevel, and maybe ask old friends who are still around ingame, if you could join them on an alt run or something like that when you've got the gear for it. And you might avoid the show me your achivement for ds or i wont invite from most people seacrhing for people to do ds.
    p.s. and you can get an ok 365 cloak by doing the thrall quest in hyjal. And you can get some ok 365 stuff from just getting access to the firelands dailys farm area (guardians of hyjal: firelands invasion schould get you on the way on that). If you're a dps you can always do those two things while waiting for lfd to pop up.
    Last edited by mmoc30cfcfeceb; 2012-06-19 at 01:28 PM.

Biggest hurdle will be getting in to normal mode pugs without having already done normal mode. Once you get that, getting in to future pugs and/or a casual raiding guild should be easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    there are no other 'current' raids other than lfr.. starting raids are Throne of the Four Winds (no one ever wants to do that one), Blackwing Decent, and Bastion of Twilight, no real reason to do them except for fun. Firelands is after that. fairly easy to get a pug still, as some people are still trying to get the legendary staff and gear from there is still helpful to some extent. honestly though just running the heroics and maybe buying some of the BoE gear is probably the best bet unless you really want to see the content. wrists and boots are available at 397 ilevel and are pretty cheap now.

Deleted
    I'm also a player who returned late...

First things I did was level to 85, try out the new starting zones of all races, especially goblin and worgen till 12+

Now then, I got more into the expansion itself, did most of the quest lines in the new zones so I was more or less up to date with the lore and then when I finally found a group who wanted to "boost" me through DS as they said themself, honestly I don't get it... people are rude but they think they are doing people a favor! When I joined a pug of older content during my raid days I just joined, did my thing and never complained over a wipe or two altho I was mostly decked out in BiS.

OP you'll find out that the majority of the players have turned into an elitist community who do not tolerate a single wipe or else they'll just leave most of the time...

I do advice you to take a peek at all raids, the fights are worth doing atleast once, I enjoyed myself atleast.

Heroics and LFR then join a guild that will take you along.

Hey guys!

Just wanted to give you an update on the topic. This is something I posted on the official forums... Just wanted to share it with you:

Hello guys! I wanted to share with you my thoughts after trying the LFR feature for the first time last night.

So I came back to WoW after playing the first months of Cata, when the heroics were impossible if you got a lame group, and the raids were just as bad. Back then I thought this game needed this, because it was heading to a dangerous place at the end of WOTLK.

Now, I understand that this might not be the best time to play WoW since the last content patch was released many months ago, and its getting pretty trivial at this point.

When I got the last piece of gear I needed to get into the LFR system, I was kinda scared (specially being a healer)of screwing other peoples gameplay because even though I had the barely minimum gear requirement I could screw up because I still had some blue pieces and pvp gear and didn't know the bosses mechanics other than reading the fights pretty quick at wowpedia.

I can't even describe how I felt how it all ended. To make story short, there were points were I even stopped healing altogether just to see if that was even needed in the first place. And of course, it wasn't I could just put a follow on anyone and just rolled on the loot after it dropped. There wasn't any particular boss mechanic whatsoever, mainly just tank and spank... I couldn't believe myself.

Now, I understand that this is LFR and of course, it IS supposed to be easier than regular and heroics versions of the raids but still that was one of the most disappointing experiences I had with this game. There is a line between "easier" and just plain face roll.

Just my two cents

Deleted
    I SERIOUSLY recommend you to either buy BoE items (full set of 377 pvp items craftable) or do pvp for 390 pvp items until you hit 353 average ilvl, HoT heroics are ultimate faceroll and on other heroics there are just other people new to their classes (aka most not knowing what to do) trying to get that 353. Also they are tuned hard for low ilvl if you compare to HoT heroics.

Also join on LFR as soon as 372, it is even more ultimate faceroll than LFD and your weight will barely matter either negatively or positively.