(Ele) Stat weights and Dragon Soul questions

Hey guys,

I just recently came back to the game and am now back in hardcore raiding. I'm going to be main-ing a ele shaman and I have a few questions about the class.

1) So I've been reading up and most places seem to state that mastery > haste with the T13 4pc. Does that mean I can just get haste and crit as low as possible and stack mastery like all hell or are there haste soft/hard caps that I have to reach for extra flame shock ticks etc.?

2) Any tips/tricks for ele shamans on any of the DS fights that I should know of?

3) Since I just came back and I won't have a DTR, which weapons are BiS? People tell me Rathrak should only be used on heavy AoE fights and to use Vagaries of Time H instead. Is that true?
    Last edited by JKim; 2012-06-16 at 04:40 AM.

Deleted
    hey!

A good tip you can easily use relatively soon is to raid LFR and get 4set resto gear (after you're elemental gear ofc). Make a macro to equip your resto gear, and another one to /use spiritwalkers grace and equip your resto gear again. You'll benefit from the haste gain. Can do this for a small heroism at the start of each pull. Just remember to equip your elemental gear before the fight starts. Countless times i've been cursing at my meters, wondering why i'm so low. Then realising i'm running at 50% hit or so from wearing my resto gear all the time >_>

1) Mastery > Haste> crit once you have 4p t13. At certain levels haste may be higher but the best way to figure it out is to sim it.

2) Basically glyph based on the fight, if there's a lot of movement you want glyph of unleashed lightning, if you're going to be standing still like on ultraxion then go with the lightning bolt glyph instead.

3) As far as I know Heroic Rathrak sims just below DTR on the majority of fights and higher on aoe fights. I assume if you cant get the heroic version use the heroic Vagaries of Time.

Alright, just one question then is Mastery is > Haste after 4p T13. Do I need to have a decent amount of haste left or should I reforge spirit or hit/haste pieces to mastery too? Like just go full mastery and leave a tiny amount of haste or balance them out a little?

Quote Originally Posted by -Luthi- View Post
    Alright, just one question then is Mastery is > Haste after 4p T13. Do I need to have a decent amount of haste left or should I reforge spirit or hit/haste pieces to mastery too? Like just go full mastery and leave a tiny amount of haste or balance them out a little?
    Oh I forgot to mention that you should get enough haste from your gear and just reforge all to mastery. Again you should sim it to be safe.

Thanks for the help! Any tips etc are, again, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    1) Mastery > Haste> crit once you have 4p t13. At certain levels haste may be higher but the best way to figure it out is to sim it.

2) Basically glyph based on the fight, if there's a lot of movement you want glyph of unleashed lightning, if you're going to be standing still like on ultraxion then go with the lightning bolt glyph instead.

3) As far as I know Heroic Rathrak sims just below DTR on the majority of fights and higher on aoe fights. I assume if you cant get the heroic version use the heroic Vagaries of Time.

Your personal stat values can change back and forth depending on what gear you have (haste proc trinket or not, gear levels, etc etc etc). There is no rule of thumb other than sim it yourself to find out your own values. Mine currently favors a mastery build if I'm using the haste trinket, and sims higher as a haste build with cunning of the cruel.

Rathrak also does not approach DTR even in aoe heavy fights. Remember that while rathraks minimal damage output is hitting more targets, DTR is also proc'ing off of chain lightning and earthquake which will provide amazing amounts of dps. DTR is your bis by a long shot in all situations.

I'm completely new to simming and barely even know what it is, is there one of you that could help me out a bit through PMs to get me going in that regard?

There's a detailed explanation on how to to Sim in Endus' Elemental FAQ that's stickied at the top of the Shaman Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    There's a detailed explanation on how to to Sim in Endus' Elemental FAQ that's stickied at the top of the Shaman Forum.
    ^this. It will tell you absolutely everything you need to know to sim and understand what you're seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shottgunn View Post
    Your personal stat values can change back and forth depending on what gear you have (haste proc trinket or not, gear levels, etc etc etc). There is no rule of thumb other than sim it yourself to find out your own values. Mine currently favors a mastery build if I'm using the haste trinket, and sims higher as a haste build with cunning of the cruel.

Rathrak also does not approach DTR even in aoe heavy fights. Remember that while rathraks minimal damage output is hitting more targets, DTR is also proc'ing off of chain lightning and earthquake which will provide amazing amounts of dps. DTR is your bis by a long shot in all situations.
    While this discussion is more geared toward not having a DTR, I'm pretty sure heroic Rathrak comes within 800 dps of DTR on patwork style fights. With some time I can find the source, I think I read it on totemspot. Also DTR like most things does not proc off of earthquake.

While I have a very low opinion of Endus as a shaman and person, his elemental guide does have a good section on simming.