Why did the Fatal Frame series fail out of Japan?

halloween equals spooky games.

Fatal Frame 2 is a fairly recognized game. It is sometimes even called one of the horror genre's best. But there's no indication the series ever sold well, and 3 sold so badly after it, the rest of the series stopped being localized.

I mean, internet personalities love their horror games so it's pretty strange why this one never kicked off when Silent Hill did.

It didn't. And the series was still localized after 3 so not sure what you're talking about. The only ones not localized are the Wii game and the 3DS spinoff. The Wii U game is very much localized.

It became Wii/Wii U exclusive with the last few games and the rest is history. It did fine selling in it's niche before that. Going Wii exclusive was a death sentence to the franchise who had most of it's fans move on to the 360/PS3 instead of the Wii. Then with the Wii U being such a bomb it didn't even have the massive install base of the Wii U that was writing on the wall for Maiden.

It's also not a dead franchise, the Switch will probably get a game in the series even if it's just an updated/expanded port of Maiden to give it a 2nd chance on a console not already sunk at the bottom of the ocean.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-10-18 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It didn't. And the series was still localized after 3 so not sure what you're talking about(though it doesn't surprise me you're wrong). The only one not localized is the 3DS spinoff.

It became Wii/Wii U exclusive with the last few games and the rest is history. It did fine selling in it's niche before that. Going Wii exclusive was a death sentence to the franchise who had most of it's fans move on to the 360/PS3 instead of the Wii. Then with the Wii U being such a bomb it didn't even have the massive install base of the Wii U that was writing on the wall for Maiden.

It's also not a dead franchise, the Switch will probably get a game in the series even if it's just an updated/expanded port of Maiden to give it a 2nd chance on a console not already sunk at the bottom of the ocean.
    what do you mean it didn't, I had to go through some unsanctioned shit to get a hold of the second game's remake and 4 recently because they were seemingly never brought over to NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    what do you mean it didn't, I had to go through some unsanctioned shit to get a hold of the second game's remake and 4 recently because they were seemingly never brought over to NA.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...of_Black_Water

Is very much localized.

Is the latest entry in the series.

So localization on the series has not stopped like you claimed.

Nintendo did cancel localization of the Wii game late in the process due to namco backing out of publisher support if I remember right but considering they localized a version that literally didn't even have a chance on the Wii U, there is a 100% chance they localize any future entries.

The remaster of 2 you claim wasn't localized also was... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projec...2:_Wii_Edition It didn't get a NA release(blame NoA for that one), but that's a completely different thing from a localization. It was localized in all EU region languages.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-10-18 at 06:25 AM.

Fatal Frame is creepy as fuck, with the hidden spots (sounded off by scratching sounds) of ghosts taken pictures of, to the random ghosts appearing through walls if you idle too much... nevermind the story itself.

Would be nice if a HD release was done.

I remember having a game called Project Zero on the PS2. These are the same games just renamed for the EU market right? Gave me the heebeejeebees playing that!
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!