Page 1 of 2
LastLast

question to the people who reached lvl 30

I have only played one beta weekend and the stress test today, the max level I've reached with any character is 11 (opting to try different classes). Having a blast questing but these seem to me to be all introductory quests to get you started in the game. But what I am wondering is when do you start getting into quests that start the main storyline i.e. zhaitan has awaken. Sooo.... Has any lvl 30 done a quest that has hinted on Zhaitan?

When playing wow one of the biggest issues with raiding in cata was I didn't know who we were fighting in the raids and why should I even care about them. It seemed we were in there to take on random bosses for the loot only and not to develop or finish a story arc (with a couple of exceptions)

As much as people disliked WoTLK Arthus would turn up a lot during dungeons and quests. You felt like a story was evolving as you progress to the final raid. (excluding ToC which was pointless)

I like storydriven MMO's. Smaller arc's encompassed by an overall arc with subtle connections between them. I don't want to wait until levels 70-80 before Zhaitan is first talked about.

Most likely you will first "encounter" the first hints of Zhaitan or the actual overarching story plot at around level 30-35, as that's approx. when all the personal stories converge. I believe the personal story was capped at level 20 for the BWE. I can not confirm this, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    around level 30-35, as that's approx. when all the personal stories converge.
    Cheers I didn't know that happened with the personal stories. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    Cheers I didn't know that happened with the personal stories. Interesting.
    By converge I don't mean it's the exact same. A Blood Legion and Iron Legion Charr will still have marginally different stories, and so will a Human and Asura. It's more what zone the the stories actually take place, and of course the end goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    By converge I don't mean it's the exact same. A Blood Legion and Iron Legion Charr will still have marginally different stories, and so will a Human and Asura. It's more what zone the the stories actually take place, and of course the end goal.
    oh that's a shame, I kind of like the idea that something serious was happening in world and people were pulled together, as this 'thing' (zhatian perhaps) is effecting everyone personally.

Mid 40's, and I don't recall anything. I believe Tequatl the Sunless (lv58) will be our first encounter, and then slowly unravel from there. /guessing

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    oh that's a shame, I kind of like the idea that something serious was happening in world and people were pulled together, as this 'thing' (zhatian perhaps) is effecting everyone personally.
    It will culminate in that, yes. Three multi-racial societies, one of which the player belongs to, will work together to defeat the Elder Dragon. Granted, that is simple speculation, but everything I've seen leads me to believe that they will all have a part to play. The actual unity between the races is a work in progress, for example in the entire point of Ghost's of Ascalon was about peace between the charr and humans. Both the Iron Legion Imperator and the Queen are working towards this. The Norn are most likely not going to unite any time soon without being railed under who ever breaks Jormag's tooth. The Sylvari are for the most part not short sighted and will without a doubt be focused on the Elder Dragons, even the Nightmare Court. Similarly, the Asura as well.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 02:04 AM ----------

Here's a map that may help you visualize the progression.

My speculation is that the races will come together at Lion's Arch at around 35, and then begin their march southward towards Orr.

Though, looking at it, it looks more like 40-45. So about half the personal story I suppose, assuming there isn't much after 80. It'll probably be some sort of gradual transition, though. From simple, localized conflicts at the early levels, to slowly realizing the greater dangers at around 30-40, and then at 40-45 focusing the plot of Zhaitan.

Though, the high level Shiverpeak areas are certainly a curiosity since that has little to do with Zhaitan.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-06-28 at 06:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Mid 40's, and I don't recall anything. I believe Tequatl the Sunless (lv58) will be our first encounter, and then slowly unravel from there. /guessing
    Tequatl is a level 30 encounter, the highest world boss we have seen is the shatterer who was level 40.

We have seen open world zones up to 15-25 I believe. At least I recall running around leveling in two such zones in BWE2.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Tequatl is a level 30 encounter, the highest world boss we have seen is the shatterer who was level 40.
    I think you have Tequatl confused with someone else. He is a lv.58 encounter. Source:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tequatl_the_Sunless
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I think you have Tequatl confused with someone else. He is a lv.58 encounter. Source:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tequatl_the_Sunless
    To add, Shatterer is about 5-7 levels higher than him I believe.

I'll go find the video of him to see.

edit: I got it reversed, he's lower than Tequatl actually, at level 50. I went ahead and updated the wiki.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-06-28 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Source? If I recall (just from early coverage) they were both higher levels than that, though maybe it has changed?

Source? If I recall (just from early coverage) they were both higher levels than that, though maybe it has changed?
    He is incorrect. Teqautl is in Sparkfly Fen and Shatterer is in Blazeridge Steppes. Both are 40+

Additionally, I double checked the Gamescom videos for them. Tequatl is 58, Shatterer 50.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-06-28 at 06:39 AM.

My honest opinion is that we wont see Zhaitan for a long time, perhaps after an xpack, or 2? Just seems like we would go through a long, long journey before ever coming face to face.

10+ Year Old Account
    My honest opinion is that we wont see Zhaitan for a long time, perhaps after an xpack, or 2? Just seems like we would go through a long, long journey before ever coming face to face.
    Nay, he will be killable before an Xpac.

GuildMag: The Elder Dragons are said to be huge—rather, enormous—will they be part of large dynamic events, or will we fight against them inside instanced areas?

Eric: The only Elder Dragon that players encounter in Guild Wars 2 is Zhaitan, and he is fought as part of a dungeon. So it’s safe to say that at least for the initial release of the game, you’ll only see Elder Dragons in instances.
    "Guild Wars 2" referring to the initial release of the game.

Source: http://www.guildmag.com/magazine/iss...annumintv.html

The dungeon will be located within Arah, which is on Orr.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-06-28 at 06:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really curious as to how the fight is going to play out. I heard he's like an amalgamation of a bunch of smaller dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I'm really curious as to how the fight is going to play out. I heard he's like an amalgamation of a bunch of smaller dragons.
    I'm expecting it to be really terrible and not live up to its expectations, so that if it actually does I'll enjoy it so much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually glad we're not fighting a giant continent sized dragon. Fighting giant monsters is cool and all, but there's a point where it just becomes ridiculous as fuck. Take the Kronos fight from GoW 3 as an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the events I did revolved around culling a certain monster population or helping them with things. In Gendarren fields, I was often killing Centaur, Minotaur, Undead, Dredge, Beasts (boars, spiders, etc.), Pirates, Worms and those Ice Troll guys. I was also retrieving items, and I even had to clean a house.

The closest to Zhaitan lore I got was that I found Vigil HQ. Unfortunately there's really nothing to do with them as far as I am able to see. They are either closed off for now, or I didn't meet the prerequisites.

I expect heavy details on the dragons and the danger they face some point into Personal Story. From what I've seen, the 1-20 content we have so far is mostly just local problems (Humans deal with bandits just like in Final Fantasy Tactics (which then evolves into a war on a major power), where Charr deal with the Flame Legion and ghosts)
    Last edited by Sentinel; 2012-06-28 at 07:04 AM.