Thread: Can't wipe?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Can't wipe?

So I have heard from multiple friends playing the game and read online during various BWE reviews that bosses in the open world can be reengaged after you die by simply running back from the waypoint, since very VERY rarely will everyone in the encounter die all at once. Is this true? I don't know from first hand experience, and would hate to jump to conclusions when I am very much wrong.

However, if this IS true, are there any penalties from coming back from the waypoint to the boss? Is there any way for the boss fight to actually reset, wipe the players attacking it, or actually win? Basically what I am asking is: Can open world boss fights be failed? From what I have heard/read this hasn't actually been specifically mentioned, and I would dearly love to hear that they can be failed, otherwise how are they supposed to be "hard" at all?

I have also heard exactly the same thing about the 5 man dungeons: if you die just run back while your teammates go into full survival mode so that the boss doesn't disengage by killing all of you. In fact I heard of one instance of having 30+ deaths in one single boss fight. How is that hard or challenging? You know that if you just keep respawning and running back to the boss then the bad guy will eventually go down, regardless of skill, coordination, or even effort.

Someone please tell me that the PvE in this game will be more meaningful than the special effects happening and the cinematic at the end of the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would a dynamic event "Wipe"? it wont be dynamic anymore.
    Blizzard's cutting corners again? Yare Yare Daze...

Deleted
    Well, I would assume time would be an important factor when it comes to the big DE's. If people keep dying so that the enemy isn't defeated in, say, 20 minutes... he might retreat, enrage, or anything in between.

Also, on the topic of zerging, remember that each time you die a piece of your armor is damaged. If all your armor pieces are damaged and you die, one of the pieces will break entirely, meaning you'll not get any benefits (stats, runes, armor value) until you've gone to a repairman. Thus the max amount of times you can die (if I remember it correctly) before it starts dropping your stats is six times.

Long story short, zerging is a viable short-term strategy, but you can't ultimately beat an event or boss if you keep dying and zerging.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't "wipe" but there should be failure conditions for the event, just like all other events in the game. I assume failure is based on time commonly for large bosses like shadow behemoth and Tequatl.

If you try to zerg a boss and continually die, eventually your gear will be busted and you'd be next to useless. Not to mention the death penalty, the more you're downed the less health you have when you're downed, meaning you'd die much faster.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I am not talking about Dynamic Events in general, but the large dragons and other single monster fights that anyone can join into. Technically they are Dynamic Events, but with such a forgiving attitude towards coming back into the fight, where is the challenge?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_penalty

that would be your penalty... along with damaged armor
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanerd View Post
    I am not talking about Dynamic Events in general, but the large dragons and other single monster fights that anyone can join into. Technically they are Dynamic Events, but with such a forgiving attitude towards coming back into the fight, where is the challenge?
    Those are EDE's, or Elite Dynamic Events. What I wrote in my first post still applies (as does Malthurius').

In the last BWE2 they changed around the downed state so that if someone continually drops, it'll be harder for them to get back up each subsequent time.

Edit: What Glytch said.

Deleted
    Don't get me wrong but wow world bosses work exactly the same xD

10+ Year Old Account
    All events are forgiving in this light, but getting back to the boss usually isn't a short jog. When an event with a boss occurs the waypoint near that event are usually closed temporarily to keep this from happening, with any event. Bosses aren't any more lenient.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Long story short, zerging is a viable short-term strategy, but you can't ultimately beat an event or boss if you keep dying and zerging.
    That is good to know, but how hard is it to repair armor? Wouldn't there be a repair vendor decently close to the waypoint vendor? Time limits I like, very much. My favorite boss fights have always been "Stop so-and-so from accomplishing such-and-such" rather than "Rinse and repeat, this isn't a boss fight, it's Dance Dance Revolution."

10+ Year Old Account
    That is good to know, but how hard is it to repair armor? Wouldn't there be a repair vendor decently close to the waypoint vendor? Time limits I like, very much. My favorite boss fights have always been "Stop so-and-so from accomplishing such-and-such" rather than "Rinse and repeat, this isn't a boss fight, it's Dance Dance Revolution."
    Repair vendors are usually only in small towns and cities. I rarely found repair vendors out in the open world near waypoints.

There are required pass/fail criteria you need to meet for a dynamic event to be successful or not. For example the harpy morale DE in Ashford. If it doesn't reach 0% within the time limit - it fails. For Group Events, like the Frozen Maw in the norn starter area, if the shaman is not defeated swiftly he manages what he's doing and summons a big murderous elemental. Therefore you have failed. "Wiping" as you know it from other games doesn't really happen in the open world. In dungeons it's slightly different, but not much. I can't explain it exactly.

At Malthurius: That is really good to know. I was beginning to worry that it was just gonna be a case of keep the boss engaged until it dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends on location there arent repairs near every waypoint

even if you do repair you have death penalty to worry about
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted
    Most dynamic events have failed conditions. I haven't actually done any of the big elite de's, but I would assume the same is true for those? The boss is trying to do something, and unless you stop him from doing so, we are screwed.

Take all those "battle of" events. If you don't protect the areas (and when you are dead or running back, you don't do much protection), the mobs will will the fight so to speak.

For dungeons, it's not really a viable strategy. I suppose it's possible in theory to just keep running back, but where is the fun and achivement in that? If some players want to use that as a tactic, then let them. I won't.

There is even a B2P item to repair your gear instantly on the fly.

Point is, DEs are not going to be challenging beyond getting enough people to get it done in a reasonable time frame. They're more of a WoW world boss on PvE server kind of a challenge, only where everyone participating gets a shot at the loot.

As stated many times before, if you're looking for a challenging encounter, you'll only find those in the 5 man dungeons.

P.S. Meatrushing was a perfectly viable strategy in both story and explorable mode dungeons in BWE2 on bosses without tight damage requirements (which was the vast majority of bosses).

Deleted
    I can't really say where the repair vendors will be stationed, but what I have found is that there is NOT a repair vendor by every waypoint. Far from it. More likely you'll have to go to a waypoint much further away, repair there (or even run a bit to where the repair vendor is), get back to the closest waypoint to the event, and hope you get back in time.

Also, worth keeping in mind that ANet has said (don't have a source for this unfortunately, so take it with a pinch of salt) that they'll constantly be monitoring and rebalancing all dynamic events, even post-launch, to keep a win-to-loss ratio (for the players) of 60-40. There's no reason to expect this to exclude elite dynamic events. So in essence, you'll be almost as likely to see the event fail as you are to see it succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    Don't get me wrong but wow world bosses work exactly the same xD
    WoW world bosses don't affect the world in any way, unlike dynamic event bosses which like every other dynamic event if you fail there is a negative affect on the world.

So lets assume the first behemoth boss is never killed he could possibly send army's from the dark realm into towns to take them over (which trigger other dynamic events) and so on.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    If everyone dies their health resets, it's less noticeable in a BWE because of the density of the zones so most fights are zerg'd, but some of the elites when you only have around 10 players can be infuriatingly difficult to corpse run on.