Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    There's a reason why sentences for minors are less. Its because they are incredibly impressionable and sensitive to their surroundings. A year suspension and other things like the reengagement center are going to have consequences in their social and educational development extending beyond one year of punishment.
    Yes they are impressionable. And hopefully this punishment makes them realize what they did wrong and they never do it again. And hopefully any other parents/children who read about this will learn from it as well. We can't just give them all trophies for saying they are sorry. Even though that's what culture and schools do nowadays.

...and apparently their social and educational development is already in a bad place or they would not do such things.

This is a lesson. Nowadays there aren't many going around b/c everyone is too sensitive and have to be politically correct. I applaud those who made this decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    OF course, and if I had a child who did such, they would be in a world of trouble... but this is state-derived punishment that will be setting them back for quite possibly their entire lives.
    My opinion is they deserved it, so what if it sets them back its a lesson maybe it will turn them into better parents, if kids are the future then I want no part of it.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    How does that even matter? These people are donating their money (even though they see she already has hundreds of thousands of $$), and by donating that money you are still making the conscious decision that she needs it more than everyone else on kickstarter/indiegogo/charities. If she ends up donating the cash to a charity, great, but that's not the point.
    So basically, you think you have a right to dictate what people spend their earnings on..

The fact that the fundraiser even exists gave more attention to the bigger issue at hand.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Deleted
    There's a reason why sentences for minors are less. Its because they are incredibly impressionable and sensitive to their surroundings. A year suspension and other things like the reengagement center are going to have consequences in their social and educational development extending beyond one year of punishment.
    Yeah. That's what we're hoping for. That they, essentially, learn something from it.

Having to go through unfamiliar surroundings, having a bit of a "tough time" (I bet they'll still have warm food on the table and a mommy who tucks them in at night) will not mess these kids up.

I still think it's bullshit that people ended up $700k to the old lady. Yeah sure I could understand $5000, maybe $10,000, but seriously why the hell does someone deserve $700k just because they were insulted on a bus? There are so many better projects/charities out there. People go over the top, as usual.
    No one should have to put up with that sort of work environment, especially for the bus monitor who was making around $15k / year I believe they said in an interview. People are donating because they believe she deserves something more in life for having to put up with that day to day.

It really shouldn't matter to you or anyone else who or why other people donate their money, anyway. It's no one else's business. People will donate to causes that mean something to them – like a documented bullying from multiple kids to a helpless bus monitor who could do nothing about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making an example of children? Sounds like a wonderful mentality
    We can argue about them being minors all we want, but there is a point where, adolescent or not, the kids are fully aware that they are being over-the-line rude and malicious. A 3 year old can say a bad word and get by with it, because they haven't developed the idea of it being wrong or potentially hurtful. These kids knew very well what they said and whether or not it was right. Do they need a potentially life-altering punishment? Probably not. But they don't get to sit under the shelter of childhood innocence anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shennanigans View Post
    Hope they learn something
    Actually, I think the opposite will be occurring.
    While I'm usually all for brats getting slammed by the book, this punishment probably doesn't do what was intended. It puts them out of school - which probably forces them to transfer or something.
    Then again, they're the sort that would probably drop out anyway.

I honestly wish it were something more along the lines of spending every. Single. Weekend. For a year attending an etiquette course.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    So basically, you think you have a right to dictate what people spend their earnings on..

The fact that the fundraiser even exists gave more attention to the bigger issue at hand.
    I never said people can't do what they want with their money. I'm saying people are being incredibly silly about it, and it makes you wonder what's wrong with priorities with most people. Yeah, it's great to be empathetic, but there's a line. There's a point where the person doesn't need cash anymore and if you really want to donate, donate it to something that actually needs your support.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Then again, they're the sort that would probably drop out anyway.
    Looking at who they are, looking at where they live and their families and whatnot - no these aren't the type of kids who probably drop out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    What is this, the early 1800's where kids are assumed to be totally innocent and have "pure souls" until they hit a specific age and it immediately switches over?

Anyone that isn't from politically correct, sheltered cultural suburbia knows that the punishment is justified. I don't suppose you are against the very existence of juvenile hall either?
    Nope. But it takes only the most basic knowledge of social control to know that many of those kids would never have participated without group pressure. Sure, there were leaders who really are that bad, but an entire group of people with people who were swept along? Or maybe didn't even join in, but stood in the back trying not to participate? Severe group punishment on children seems fundamentally wrong, especially with social and educational ramifications extending beyond one year.

Also, making an example of someone requires causative thinking, something that many children, as well as a few adults, do not fully comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Yeah. That's what we're hoping for. That they, essentially, learn something from it.

Having to go through unfamiliar surroundings, having a bit of a "tough time" (I bet they'll still have warm food on the table and a mommy who tucks them in at night) will not mess these kids up.
    How many of them are going to care about education after an entire year gone? And how many are going to be drawn further into that lifestyle due to association with other delinquents?
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-06-30 at 02:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Making an example of children? Sounds like a wonderful mentality
    I can tell you that I only had to see my brother get spanked for something once and that was enough of an example to keep me from doing anything too bad.

Children need these examples of consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorick View Post
    We can argue about them being minors all we want, but there is a point where, adolescent or not, the kids are fully aware that they are being over-the-line rude and malicious. A 3 year old can say a bad word and get by with it, because they haven't developed the idea of it being wrong or potentially hurtful. These kids knew very well what they said and whether or not it was right. Do they need a potentially life-altering punishment? Probably not. But they don't get to sit under the shelter of childhood innocence anymore.
    My point exactly! Is the year suspension too much? Maybe, but I feel it'll make sure they learn.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iFace View Post
    Kids that age might be immature, but they took it to an entirely new level. The kind of behavior that those kids had in the video is completely unacceptable. What I want to know is what kind of parents raise kids to be that cruel - to any one! It doesn't matter if it's another kid, a parent, or the bus monitor. Also, peer pressure is one thing, but what those kids said is just awful and should make any parent sick that they did such an awful job raising their kids that way - shame on the kids, and especially shame on the parents.
    The video really felt premeditated to me, but I didn't really research the motives as they didn't matter to me. As for the parents, yes, they may really be that bad, or it's possible the kids really are that immature, and just did it for no reason at all. In 4-5th grade, I remember being kind of an ass to a few kids. Never ANYTHING like those kids, but just mean sometimes. By the time I had hit Jr. High I was ashamed of who I'd been and began to fight tooth and nail for the outcasts and bullied kids. People change. It's possible this was just a phase for those kids. It was a very sad situation regardless, and what they did was evil. They needed to be punished severely, and I think they got what they deserved.

So this behavior deserves a slap on the wrist while telling them no you shouldn't do that? The children's social development are already messed up, if it wasn't they would not have done that or gone as far as they did with it. The kids lives won't be shaped by this in any significant way. They will do their time and come out acting the same way as when they went in. I believe this sentence is far to lenient, they deserve much more than they got. I don't care that they are children they are old enough to know between wrong or right even while dealing with peer pressure. No one on these forums can say they didn't know the difference between the two when they were that age.

Deleted
    I never said people can't do what they want with their money. I'm saying people are being incredibly silly about it, and it makes you wonder what's wrong with priorities with most people. Yeah, it's great to be empathetic, but there's a line. There's a point where the person doesn't need cash anymore and if you really want to donate, donate it to something that actually needs your support.
    Okay, you're just criticizing people's choice of giving money to this lady? I mean, of course I will support cancer research 7 days of the week, but that doesn't mean that EVERY bit of penny I have to spare is given to cancer research.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's even crazier, someone else started a fundraiser for the person who started the fundraiser. I mean, what? Seriously? Call me jelly, because I am (who wouldn't want 6 grand?), but why are people donating cash so willingly? To a person who started a fundraiser for another person?

http://www.indiegogo.com/love-for-max-too
    Mmkay, yeah, this certain fund is silly. I'll give you that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eis View Post
    I can tell you that I only had to see my brother get spanked for something once and that was enough of an example to keep me from doing anything too bad.

My mother slapped me once when I acted like an asshole. I didn't act like an asshole again.

Not supporting domestic violence or child abuse or anything, not at all. As I said, I was slapped ONCE in my entire life. But there are certain situations where that kind of reinforcement is called for.

Deleted
    Meditate on this! as the panda's would say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    My mother slapped me once when I acted like an asshole. I didn't act like an asshole again.

Not supporting domestic violence or child abuse or anything, not at all. As I said, I was slapped ONCE in my entire life. But there are certain situations where that kind of reinforcement is called for.
    It would be fantastic if this didn't turn into another "How far is too far to go physically with your child? To spank or not to spank?" We have one of those already The last thread about this lady derailed in a similar fashion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimshot85 View Post
    So this behavior deserves a slap on the wrist while telling them no you shouldn't do that? The children's social development are already messed up, if it wasn't they would not have done that or gone as far as they did with it. The kids lives won't be shaped by this in any significant way. They will do their time and come out acting the same way as when they went in. I believe this sentence is far to lenient, they deserve much more than they got. I don't care that they are children they are old enough to know between wrong or right even while dealing with peer pressure. No one on these forums can say they didn't know the difference between the two when they were that age.
    Can you say with absolute certainty, with 0 doubt, that every single child on that bus would be independently capable of doing this? Or that every child even participated? I'm all for punishing the leaders, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Eis View Post

"Had to see" is a big part there. Children are very visually based..... but how influential do you think it would have been if you had only heard about your brother being spanked, as opposed to actually seeing it? I don't see how much children are going to take into account some random story they kind of heard on the news.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-06-30 at 02:27 AM.