Page 1 of 3
LastLast

which way is easier to fix a sleeping pattern?

Sleeping no more than a few hours and waking up or staying up for 2 days?

I have tried both and its harder than it looks. If i sleep, getting up is just freakin impossible. But then staying up the whole time... I dunno if its easy to do that by sitting at home or doing work or something.

sleeping less is harder much harder atleast in my experience. im an actor so im used to having to work my sleeping pattern around weird times and whenever i try to "just sleep for a couple minutes" i end up sleeping for like 8 hours but if i just fight through it eventually i just stop being tired
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Take a sleeping pill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't stay up, just sleep for an hour less than you need. You should be able to fall asleep a bit earlier if you are trying to fall asleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I work four ten hour shifts on graveyard with a three day weekend each week, so I'm pretty good at switching my sleep pattern quickly.

The best way to do it is get to the point where you are waking up in the early evening, and then just stay up through the night, the next day, and go to sleep around 9 or 10 the next day. You should wake up in the morning and vuelah, all switched. Now, that staying up for 24 hours is the tough part, but if you drink a coffee every now and then and keep active, it shouldn't be an issue.

To switch back, I just stay awake a couple hours later each day of my weekend until I'm back on graveyard schedule. It's really not that difficult once you get used to it.

go to bed late - get up early. If you have an iPhone put on alarms for every 5 minutes for an hour just in case you keep turning it off .
    Multiple times during my exam periods i fell asleep at 4 and had to get up again at 7 and I didnt really feel tired until the end of the day

10+ Year Old Account
    Easiest way for me is to fix it little by little. For example if I slept the day before it at 1 am., I'll sleep the day after in 12 am and so on..

Say you get up at 10 am and want to get up and 8 am. You go to bed at 2 am.

Set the alarm for 8 o clock and force yourself to get up. You will end up being tired earlier. Go to bed when you feel tired, or at midnight at the very latest. Do this for a week and you will be waking up at 8 am without the aid of an alarm clock.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Take a sleeping pill.
    Never.

You go to your doctor before taking pills, those should be the last thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try exercising before going to bed, that'll tire you out
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    Try exercising before going to bed, that'll tire you out
    Exercise during the day for sure. Doing it right before bed is a bad idea though.
    i5 2500k Powercolor HD 6950
    8gb 1600mhz RAM
    96gb Kingston SSD, 1TB Caviar Black 64mb cache
    Basic P67 motherboard
    800 watt PSU
    NZXT Phantom Case: If you think this case is ugly, you are wrong.

The most efficient way to get back on track if you're already past the 6am-7am mark, is usually to go the full circle. It takes at least 2 or 3 extra nights before you fully operational.

If you can find the willpower, just going to bed earlier is a simpler solution. The problem is that it relies on your willpower. If you have none, it fails.

Deleted
    Just being up and awake for 2 days works for me im currently thinking of doing it again havent been able to go to bed befor 11am for 3 days in a row now >.> (Damn you Tekkit Pack for minecraft why you so addictive?!)

For me I can never go to sleep early if I mess up my sleep schedule for whatever reason I have to 'champion' it up for the next day without any sleep and fall asleep at the desired time that day.
    Hi Sephurik

Over the counter sleep aids do work in the short term but you build a tolerance to them very quickly stuff like diaphenhydramine and doxylamine
    melatonin doesnt seem to do anything for me

Perscribed shit like ambien can make you do some weird shit like sleepwalking and sleeptalking so i wouldnt advise those but they do knock you out

could try herbal tea shit or maybe a nightcap of booze

I personally use herbal teas to force an adjustment in a healthier way than sleep pills but eh.

Deleted
    I have found that staying awake is a much better method, at least in my experience. You will get to a point where you are really tired and at the edge of falling asleep, if you at that time go take a shower, drink coffee or whatever works for you and you get past that point you will no longer be tired. Or you will but you just won't feel it, unless you lie down and relax on a comfy bed...

Putting an alarm clock 10 minutes ahead and resting for said time can also work, but is risky.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to switch back and forth between overnights and days a lot for my job, I have tried the following:

Option 1:
    Get off work after an overnight shift at ~6 AM, then just stay awake as long as I can to the following day/night.

With option 1, I am pretty useless that entire day, but I can usually sleep like a rock that night. The only problem, is I sleep for 12+ hours sometimes, so even if I wake up by 8 am the following day, sometimes I am not really back to normal.

Option 2:

Get off work at approximately 6 AM, sleep from 7 AM - 11 AM or Noon. Wake up, and try to have a normal day after that.

With this option, it is really really freaking hard to wake up. Being on overnight shifts, my body is used to waking up at 3 pm, so it does not want to wake up at noon. I find I am pretty exhausted the whole day, and sometimes I don't get to sleep that night and I don't reset like I am intending.

Option 3:

Get off work at 6 am, stay awake until about noon, sleep from noon - 4 pm, wake up, stay awake until 11 pm or midnight and sleep that night.

This is by far my favorite option, and the method I use. It's not super hard to stay up until noon, I usually just play WoW or something. Then I sleep 4 hours (2 sleep cycles), and when 4 pm hits my body is ready to wake up because that is about when my body is used to waking up, so it's not hard to get up. However since I only slept 4 hours after staying awake 22-24 hours, that night at 11 pm or midnight I am tired again and I can sleep a normal night.
    Last edited by tennesseej; 2012-07-01 at 04:05 AM.
    "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

im a personal fan of not sleeping for a day. its not easy for some people, works every time for me though ^^