Deleted
    Fencers, just looking for some input here on life vs ES.
    So...I'm making a spectral throw-physical claw-vaal pact scion with a lot of tankyness.
    Do you think I should invest in going CI and Ghost reaver? It's kind of far out of the places I want to go, but if it's 'omg-awesome' (i.e. way more viable than health) then I might consider it.

Thanks a lot!

Biggest issue with life based Vaal pact is the no-regen. Interesting idea with the claw spectral throw though, assuming you're going for the 12% claw leech passives.

Deleted
    Thanks for the feedback.

If I would put gmp and life on hit on spectral throw with claws, do you think the life on hit would be enough 'instant regen' in order not to take Vaal pact?

If your skill calc is still crashing the original author updated it: http://code.google.com/p/path-of-exi...illTree1.5.zip
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The only things POE shares in common with Diablo 2 or 3 is the genre convention of killing monsters to collect loot. Which is about as intelligent a comparisons as saying that all racing games allow racing or platformers allow jumping.
    There are far more similarities then that. Controls, monsters, skills, item properties, item qualities, the colour of items depending on what quality they are, champion monsters, unique monsters, quest hubs, isometric camera etc etc.
    The convention of the ARPG genre is primarily twofold: A. slay monsters for loot, B. accumulate a statistical advantage via loot.
    That's the most basic explanation for the very deepest core of the gameplay.
    A work can exist within a genre without being a parallel to or for another work. That is to say that while path of Exile shares the genre conventions of Diablo 2 & 3, Torchlight 1 & 2 or Dungeon Siege 1, 2 & 3-- all those games have vastly differing primary and secondary play systems and rules of operation (gameplay).
    "Everything you wanted from Diablo 3 - and more" -PC Gamer
    "The Diablo 2 sequel you've always wanted" - Gamesradar

I think that is rather telling of what Path of Exile wants to be when that is what they chose to put on their ads. They want this to be the new Diablo 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    It evolved the skill system, passive tree and temporary leagues through racing. It also reduced the static nature of ARPG's through end game maps, exiles, shrines. All in all those are fairly significant evolutions to a previously static genre.
    If you feel they are significant, good for you. All I see is an ARPG that has painted the genre a new colour, but beneath a thin surface there is nothing really new. Run around, click monsters to death, grab their stuff. I have tried it for 2 hours or so now and there was literally NOTHING I saw that made me think it was any different then when I recently tried Diablo 2 again. In my experience, they are all but identical twins.
    Last edited by Noorri; 2013-10-24 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Put in the two words "me think" since the sentence made no sense without them

Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    If you feel they are significant, good for you. All I see is an ARPG that has painted the genre a new colour, but beneath a thin surface there is nothing really new. Run around, click monsters to death, grab their stuff. I have tried it for 2 hours or so now and there was literally NOTHING I saw that made me was any different then when I recently tried Diablo 2 again. In my experience, they are all but identical twins.
    Having an identical twin in real life, I can tell you one comment I've heard over and over - "I can't tell you two guys apart."

Can you effectively start as a Sorceress and choose to delve into the Paladin tree, or work toward putting points in Druid the tree, in D2? Can you pick up gems that serve as your main skills, that can then be augmented with different combinations of support gems in D2? Can you run random end-game zones where you have some input into the risk vs reward ratio via specific crafting items in D2? Can you run short races as part of earning grander rewards in a season, while also leveling in familiar ladders in D2?

Clearly there's enough difference to tell the two apart.

It's obviously inspired by D2, and even GGG will tell you (as they have mentioned in interviews) that they set out to make what they felt would be a worthy sequel to D2...but identical? Only if you choose to ignore the very things that make it different, claiming they somehow aren't significant enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Having an identical twin in real life, I can tell you one comment I've heard over and over - "I can't tell you two guys apart."

Can you effectively start as a Sorceress and choose to delve into the Paladin tree, or work toward putting points in Druid the tree, in D2? Can you pick up gems that serve as your main skills, that can then be augmented with different combinations of support gems in D2? Can you run random end-game zones where you have some input into the risk vs reward ratio via specific crafting items in D2? Can you run short races as part of earning grander rewards in a season, while also leveling in familiar ladders in D2?

Clearly there's enough difference to tell the two apart.

It's obviously inspired by D2, and even GGG will tell you (as they have mentioned in interviews) that they set out to make what they felt would be a worthy sequel to D2...but identical? Only if you choose to ignore the very things that make it different, claiming they somehow aren't significant enough.
    I obviously was using way to much hyperbole with "identical twins" and I am sorry about that. My point was more that the experience of playing the games are identical, not that they actually are identical. I was bored after 5 minutes of PoE because my only thought while playing was that I had already played this game for several thousand hours. The only thing that really set PoE apart from me was the character creation screen. That was fantastic. Otherwise, it's Diablo 2 all over again for me.

Deleted
    I'm also building a physical staff templar and I'm a bit stuck...there's lots of nodes for staff-crit...but resolute technique also sounds pretty awesome so I don't have to invest in accuracy.

Any opinions on this?

So I'm trying to plan out my Witch (focused on cold) build, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Anyone have a build I could reference? Also, what does "+1 Maximum Power Charge" do? If it's plus one, it sounds like it'd be powerful...

I obviously was using way to much hyperbole with "identical twins" and I am sorry about that. My point was more that the experience of playing the games are identical, not that they actually are identical. I was bored after 5 minutes of PoE because my only thought while playing was that I had already played this game for several thousand hours. The only thing that really set PoE apart from me was the character creation screen. That was fantastic. Otherwise, it's Diablo 2 all over again for me.
    If you only played for 5 minutes you never made it to the stuff that sets it apart. It reminds me of my 4 year old trying new food. He takes the tiniest morsel possible, touches it to his tongue, and spits it out before he ever really gets a taste of it. Truth be told you had already made up your mind about PoE before you ever logged in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    So I'm trying to plan out my Witch (focused on cold) build, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Anyone have a build I could reference? Also, what does "+1 Maximum Power Charge" do? If it's plus one, it sounds like it'd be powerful...
    Certain skills create charges as part of how they work, and certain skills can spend those charges for slight alterations (i.e. Flicker Strike using a charge to reset the cooldown when used). The +1 Maximum Power Charge adds to how many of those charges you can have.

I've not played with any builds that use charges (as long as I've had access to the game and I'm still quite a noob about many things), so I can't provide a more nuanced description than that, but that's pretty much its basic function.

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Fencers, just looking for some input here on life vs ES.
    I feel like Ghos Reaver is a must for any pure ES build. At least for HC. There is no other way to regen your ES aside from Delay. So you either have to go Reaver or Zealot's Oath

There are far more similarities then that. Controls, monsters, skills, item properties, item qualities, the colour of items depending on what quality they are, champion monsters, unique monsters, quest hubs, isometric camera etc etc.
    Half of what you mention are genre conventions. Control schema, view perspective, monster types, etc. The other half could be said of any genre.

One controls Quake and Half Life similarly. They have the same perspective of play. The functionality of many weapons and enemies are the same- rapid fire gun, long range gun, cluster aoe, conical gun, etc.

Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, Outrun and Forza share similarities. But their design and gameplay is quite different from one another.

That's the most basic explanation for the very deepest core of the gameplay.
    Have you not superficially evaluated the gameplay of Path of Exile and Diablo just the same?

I see nothing in your posts that differentiates the aspects of the passive tree, linear leveling gains, lateral equipment progression, map system, currency, consistency in the play systems of crafting from gems to items to areas, skill interactions, the effect of geometry on the play field, unique items, etc.

Can you explain off hand the interaction of Iron Grip, strength, projectile Attacks with Spectral Throw running Wrath, Avatar of Fire and using Low Life Redblade uniques?

Have you contemplated the gameplay systems that allow the influence and determine the interaction of supporting gem, skill gems, passive tree, character growth, item acquisition, pre & post damage calculations, etc?

That is gameplay. A style of gameplay that is apart from that of Diablo 2, Torchlight 2, Titan Quest or Fate. Just as those games have display their gameplay in varying styles.

Path of Exile is in the ARPG genre. It will share quite a bit with games in the genre. Just as Quake and Half Life or Ridge Racer and Forza share various conventions. The gameplay of these titles is not the same, the insistence otherwise is willful ignorance.

Deleted
    I feel like Ghos Reaver is a must for any pure ES build. At least for HC. There is no other way to regen your ES aside from Delay. So you either have to go Reaver or Zealot's Oath
    Thanks for the reply! But I kind of meant whether going CI with ghost reaver is much better than going full life with vaal pact? If so I might need to rethink my build.

The build I'm thinking about will be a claw-spectral throw build, so lots of lifesteal and life on hit. Basically the question would be to go either HP or ES
    Last edited by mmoc933021f019; 2013-10-24 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    If you only played for 5 minutes you never made it to the stuff that sets it apart. It reminds me of my 4 year old trying new food. He takes the tiniest morsel possible, touches it to his tongue, and spits it out before he ever really gets a taste of it. Truth be told you had already made up your mind about PoE before you ever logged in.
    If you read one of my earlier posts, you'll see that I played about 2 hours before I quit. I hadn't made up my mind, I knew what was coming. I read alot about what the game was about, watched maybe an hour of gameplay videos from different levels of the game and I have already had thousand of hours of experience from a similar game.

I see nothing in your posts that differentiates the aspects of the passive tree, linear leveling gains, lateral equipment progression, map system, currency, consistency in the play systems of crafting from gems to items to areas, skill interactions, the effect of geometry on the play field, unique items, etc.

Can you explain off hand the interaction of Iron Grip, strength, projectile Attacks with Spectral Throw running Wrath, Avatar of Fire and using Low Life Redblade uniques?

Have you contemplated the gameplay systems that allow the influence and determine the interaction of supporting gem, skill gems, passive tree, character growth, item acquisition, pre & post damage calculations, etc?
    Those things have little to nothing to do with gameplay, and everything to do with theorycrafting. PoE is an excellent platform for theorycrafting, and I'd say it's far and beyond better then Diablo 2 in that respect. But the gameplay is essentially the same.

If you feel they are significant, good for you. All I see is an ARPG that has painted the genre a new colour, but beneath a thin surface there is nothing really new. Run around, click monsters to death, grab their stuff. I have tried it for 2 hours or so now and there was literally NOTHING I saw that made me think it was any different then when I recently tried Diablo 2 again. In my experience, they are all but identical twins.
    What you're asking for is a genre change then, ARPG's is running around clicking monsters to death for loot...

Your "I have tried it for 2 hours" comment can be applied to any genre and all it's games within said genre. By your logic there is no difference at all between WoW, EQ, SWtOR, Rift nor any difference between any of the hundreds of racing games out there and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't even fight Dominus game crashes everytime I enter the instance.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'm really lost on how to build my lightning arrow ranger now lol
    This is what I use for my LA Ranger build.

It's just basically BM, IR, buttloads of HP and resistances.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Can't even fight Dominus game crashes everytime I enter the instance.
    Yeah there is some performance issue with entering that instance, hopefully fixed in a day or two.

What you're asking for is a genre change then, ARPG's is running around clicking monsters to death for loot...

Your "I have tried it for 2 hours" comment can be applied to any genre and all it's games within said genre. By your logic there is no difference at all between WoW, EQ, SWtOR, Rift nor any difference between any of the hundreds of racing games out there and so on.
    I haven't tried EQ and I essentially never play racing games because I'm not into cars, but I do feel that WoW, SWtoR and Rift are all essentially the same game. I played WoW first for quite a lot of time, and when I tried out SWtoR, Rift and GW2 I still felt like I was playing WoW and it became boring quite quickly. The problem is that there are essentially no new genres to try for me, I've played them all to death and I am looking for something new. And PoE does not represent something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah there is some performance issue with entering that instance, hopefully fixed in a day or two.
    Glad to know its not on my end, but that lightning trap boss holy fuck.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.