Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Ok I made one: note I am not far into the game and still getting the hang of the tree. Right now I'm kinda stuck on where I put my points next, or even if this build is any good. Its a claw leeching build.
    You will die. Not nearly enough defenses and you skipped over some potentially valuable nodes on the way to Vaal Pact. Probably won't even be able to keep yourself alive either via leeching. You don't hit hard enough or fast enough given the thin defenses in all likelihood.

If you put a gem with level 10, for example, together with a level 1 cast on damage taken gem, the former gem will have a level of 1 instead of 10. I think it's that, it reduces the other gems' level to the one cast on damage taken has.
    No. CoDT now has a level limit.

The level requirement of gems augmented by Cast on Damage Taken may not exceed the level requirement of the Cast on Damage Taken gem.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Cast_when_Damage_Taken

You will die. Not nearly enough defenses and you skipped over some potentially valuable nodes on the way to Vaal Pact. Probably won't even be able to keep yourself alive either via leeching. You don't hit hard enough or fast enough given the thin defenses in all likelihood.
    Hoorah! My first failure. Should I just give up leeching mana shields all together?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok changed it up a little. Found out crit chance is multiplicative so I removed those. Picked up more damage nodes, and some block while DW nodes (think its at 30% block now, didn't count), got all the mana shield nodes too since I picked up chaos immunity. I figure with the block, and all this dexterity with dodging and the leeching I should be good defensively?

Oh and mind drinker, cause mana :l

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...jtQe12707voP-T
    Last edited by zito; 2013-11-18 at 02:51 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Shame I can't play anymore...

Suddenly 50% chance to DC on login/area change

Ok changed it up a little. Found out crit chance is multiplicative so I removed those. Picked up more damage nodes, and some block while DW nodes (think its at 30% block now, didn't count), got all the mana shield nodes too since I picked up chaos immunity. I figure with the block, and all this dexterity with dodging and the leeching I should be good defensively?
    Your defenses are even less in the second build. Even though you spent 21 more points on the second.

The thing is you are not taking efficient nodes and your build will likely be difficult to level or progress through low level maps. Might be expensive too. Hard to say. But it doesn't look "bad" just kinda weak on paper.

This build looks decent: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/523959

If you wanna try it.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-11-18 at 06:32 AM.

Deleted
    I'd probably go for something like this as a final build but this tree is somewhat bad because I have no idea of what you're going to use as abilities.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...jvTvrS_MX_kw==

Did it in a hurry, though, think I could have went for a smaller path on the nodes at the bottom.

Deleted
    Getting tired of the 'Blender' Duelist, as many bosses are just impossible. It would seem that The Bringer of Rain and the Soul Taker are definitely required for this to work, as I just cannot kill any of the hard hitting mobs without using hit and run tactics. I was doing dungeon maps and the only way I've found of downing the boss is to remove dual strike and replace it with viper strike with my multistrike/mana leech gems and leap in, dose him up, and leap out again. Given how my whole build is based around physical damage, this really annoys me.

I picked up a Chober Chaber with a really good roll (115% physical damage and 40% minion life, ilvl 67) and might try a domination blow build This way I could swarm through a dungeon picking up minions and then overwhelm the final boss.

I may also try dusting off my Witch summoner and see about getting a 5-6L chest. I understand now how people say that they level different to all the other classes, that while it gets harder for melee at late game, it actually gets easier for a summoner. I though the summoner was a little slow at killing things, but never appreciated the fact that while a little lumbering at times, the chance of death was so much less. Less death = less xp lost = ultimately faster progression.

Or just roll a templar with max block, high hp, max resist and very high phys dmg reduction with 7 endurance charges.

At what point does Summoner witch become worthwhile? I can't keep up with my Zombies dying and my Spectre likes to run into things, despite usually being an archer or mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    At what point does Summoner witch become worthwhile? I can't keep up with my Zombies dying and my Spectre likes to run into things, despite usually being an archer or mage.
    It becomes better around 30-35+, and when you're in your 50-ies you should have no problems.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Depends. But usually around the mid 40s to 50-ish.

A lot of summoner power is based on their gems. So like the zombie gem might be weak till you can level it fairly decently. Skeletons, Guardians, etc.

The other half of a Summoner's power is in the tree. Which takes time to level through, of course.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-11-18 at 10:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I'm still not over the cast on damage taken nerf. Really bums me out.

Deleted
    I don't know, I've levelled up CoDT, molten shell and enduring cry, and even though it doesn't trigger at the touch of a feather, when it does, you get the armour and endurance charges you need, and when molten shell blows, it really blows. They way it works now seems 'right' to me. The situation before might just have been too easy to abuse. It could also be that I regularly take over 1k damage, begin a heavy leech character (I'm well aware I may be doing it wrong).

I don't know, it seems that it had to be fixed.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I don't know, I've levelled up CoDT, molten shell and enduring cry, and even though it doesn't trigger at the touch of a feather, when it does, you get the armour and endurance charges you need, and when molten shell blows, it really blows. They way it works now seems 'right' to me. The situation before might just have been too easy to abuse. It could also be that I regularly take over 1k damage, begin a heavy leech character (I'm well aware I may be doing it wrong).

I don't know, it seems that it had to be fixed.

I guess I could do that too. I do have lots of scourings incase it doesn't work out. right now my codt gems are at 5 and 7. I'll give it a shot. I have lots of life leech but hardly any mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Your defenses are even less in the second build. Even though you spent 21 more points on the second.

The thing is you are not taking efficient nodes and your build will likely be difficult to level or progress through low level maps. Might be expensive too. Hard to say. But it doesn't look "bad" just kinda weak on paper.

This build looks decent: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/523959

If you wanna try it.
    It looks fairly similar to mine but he picks up shield block while I pick up claw block and he goes crit while I go straight damage. I should go aura though which he has.

And I'm not sure how the new build I made become worse in survival since I didn't drop any .

It looks fairly similar to mine but he picks up shield block while I pick up claw block and he goes crit while I go straight damage. I should go aura though which he has.

And I'm not sure how the new build I made become worse in survival since I didn't drop any .
    The Reave Shield/Claw build has a lot more power and defense going for it than two builds you posted so far. Not sure if you used guides for 'em or rolled the builds yourself. But in any case, I think the two you posted were somewhat weak on paper.

Your first build had: +20 ES, 140% EV, 142% ES, 75% ES CD, +16% all resist, +12% more ES with a 28% ES base. 10% block chance.
    Second build had: +20 ES, 86% EV, 92% ES, 35% ES CD, +12% more ES with a 36% base to ES. 30% block chance.

Not a bad idea to use a build parser or spreadsheets if you wanna roll your build or just compare stuff.

Claws are tricky to pull off as a weapon type. Ivanesco had one of the most powerful builds in a dagger/shield Shadow at one point. IIRC, he came close to a million damage under the right circumstances. Claws are not bad weapons, just somewhat tough to get right in a build as I said.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-11-18 at 04:15 PM.

Deleted
    Can someone point me towards some indepth discussion of how armour works in PoE? I notice that despite my armour going up, as I level, the % mitigation seems to be dropping. When I have molten shell, grace (using iron reflexes) and a granite potion (which has a mod on it for 90% increased armour for duration) up I have almost 20k armour, but it only shows me having 70% damage reduction. With just grace up and no other buffs, I'm aroudn 6.5k armour and 60% damage reduction. Did I hit a cap somewhere along the way?

Pardon my wording, but there are 2 separate questions there.
    1) as I level, if armour stays the same, the % seems to be dropping, is it like crit/hit is in WoW, that required you more of a state to get a % increase the higher level you are?
    2) when I jump from 6.5k armour to almost 20k I only go from 60% to 70% (It should be noted that Kole still one-shots me under the effects of my granite flask)
    Last edited by mmoc8d1df16656; 2013-11-18 at 04:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have been enjoying the races a LOT this weekend. Endless ledge was awesome, even though I died a horrible, horrible death :/

Too bad I can't do a lot of them due to RL stuff.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Your first build had: +20 ES, 140% EV, 142% ES, 75% ES CD, +16% all resist, +12% more ES with a 28% ES base. 10% block chance.
    Second build had: +20 ES, 86% EV, 92% ES, 35% ES CD, +12% more ES with a 36% base to ES. 30% block chance.
    Not sure how that happened, I didn't drop anything I didn't already picked up besides dropping the crit nodes. Weird. Oh I purposely dropped energy shield CD because thats just for out of combat right?

- - - Updated - - -

oh I see what I did, fuck how did I miss an entire energy shield pocket near the start.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    1) as I level, if armour stays the same, the % seems to be dropping, is it like crit/hit is in WoW, that required you more of a state to get a % increase the higher level you are?

- It's indeed just like in WoW. The higher level you are the more armor you need to maintain your wanted mitigation %.

2) when I jump from 6.5k armour to almost 20k I only go from 60% to 70% (It should be noted that Kole still one-shots me under the effects of my granite flask)

- Armor has diminishing returns. The more you have the less its worth per point. Let's say you have only 20% reduction from Armor and pop Molten Shell + Granite Flask and it'll bring you up to 50% or close to that. Do the same at 50% base armor and it'll only bring you to 60-65% or so. If there was no diminishing returns like this it would be ridiculously easy to reach 100% reduction from armor, which would be silly.
    You should also note that big hits ignore most of your armor... This is most noticeable against big-hitters like Kole. His big crits will ignore most of your armor and on Merc most likely one-shot you. Did you have Endurance Charges up when he oneshot you? The reduction from those is not ignored, even against big hits which makes them ridiculously good for mitigating damage.

I think one of the developers put it like this: "Put on a full-plate-mail and I'll throw sticks at you. You probably wont feel a thing. However, if I threw the whole tree you'd feel it a lot and the armor wouldnt really help that much" or something like that. It's logical reasoning though it's kinda annoying that the big-hitters can annihilate even the tankiest of toons if you dont have Enduring Charges up :P

I'm not sure how much of your armor the big hits/crits actually pierce though. But I'd say that they go through at least half of your armor or more.

Can someone point me towards some indepth discussion of how armour works in PoE? I notice that despite my armour going up, as I level, the % mitigation seems to be dropping. When I have molten shell, grace (using iron reflexes) and a granite potion (which has a mod on it for 90% increased armour for duration) up I have almost 20k armour, but it only shows me having 70% damage reduction. With just grace up and no other buffs, I'm aroudn 6.5k armour and 60% damage reduction. Did I hit a cap somewhere along the way?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707
    http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Armour
    http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Gam...sive_mechanics

Armour / Damage Reduction
    Damage Reduction reduces physical damage taken. Elemental damage and damage-over-time are not affected. The amount of damage reduction depends on the defender's armour total, and the attacker's attack damage:

reduction = armour / (armour + 12*damage)

The amount of reduction is capped, it cannot be more than 90%.

The fact that damage reduction scales with the amount of damage means it is difficult to know exactly how much damage is being reduced.
    An easy to remember rule of thumb is that to achieve 50% damage reduction, you will need an armour rating equal to twelve times that of the damage being dealt. For example, to achieve 50% damage reduction against a 100 damage hit, you'll need 1200 armour.

Last edited by Fencers; 2013-11-18 at 05:00 PM.