Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude From Denmark View Post
    So you´re planning to swap between bow and 2 handed weapon in fights? I dont see how this works.
    Bow in 1 weapon set, 2h in the other, swap key when you need?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Strike from range and swap to melee weapon when advantageous. Or vice versa.

Bow in 1 weapon set, 2h in the other, swap key when you need?
    Omg i feel so noobish...I forgot all about that you can swap between weapons. Nvm me whining about that i wished you could make a hybrid build with bow and melee xD

Thanks guys!

EDIT: It seems like it would be a mana hungry thing to do tho

EDIT: It seems like it would be a mana hungry thing to do tho
    That's why I opted for blood magic linked skills. But the thing is that Attacks do not scale in mana usage as spells. Spells go up in mana cost every gem level. However, most Attacks only increase in mana cost every 4-5 gems levels.

So the trick would be to figure out your break even point or use Attacks which don't rely on gem level so much- such as Frenzy buff stacking or Double Strike.

More than anything, I feel such a build would be very expensive. Due to having to build 2 high quality weapons. The irony is that the expense in weaponry is not so much because the build is utilizing two sets of gear, per se. But because the build is relying on Attacks. Attacks depend entirely on quality of weapon, inverse of Spells.

The same is true of gems. Spells rely on gem level and quality more so than Attack gems.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-30 at 03:55 AM.

Idea for my summoner Witch:

What if I use Animate guardian with item rarity/minion hp/minion resists and make him out of one of the unique axes with culling strike? He should get all the kills with culling, at least on the important bosses/unique mobs, which would remove my need for item rarity on any other minion. Would it be too hard keeping him alive? I see lots and lots and lots and lots of complaints about how awful this gem is online in my research.

Also, what is the guardian's health based on?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's why I opted for blood magic linked skills. But the thing is that Attacks do not scale in mana usage as spells. Spells go up in mana cost every gem level. However, most Attacks only increase in mana cost every 4-5 gems levels.

So the trick would be to figure out your break even point or use Attacks which don't rely on gem level so much- such as Frenzy buff stacking or Double Strike.

More than anything, I feel such a build would be very expensive. Due to having to build 2 high quality weapons. The irony is that the expense in weaponry is not so much because the build is utilizing two sets of gear, per se. But because the build is relying on Attacks. Attacks depend entirely on quality of weapon, inverse of Spells.

The same is true of gems. Spells rely on gem level and quality more so than Attack gems.
    I was thinking about if it was better to be dps as ranger and then tankish as melee using a shield for Molten Shell / Tempest Shield and then use a single target attack. With this setup you could tank the heavier mobs / boss while running around shooting the normal mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lysah, you might find this post interesting: http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/...ate_guardians/

So rarity gear doesn't work on him but the rest of the strategy should?

And he says high level is pretty survivable...but what does high level mean? Do I wait until I have a level 18-20 gem or is 15 fine? Guess I can always try with cheap gear when I get the chance, Limbsplit should be real easy to get.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2013-12-30 at 01:29 PM.

I was thinking about if it was better to be dps as ranger and then tankish as melee using a shield for Molten Shell / Tempest Shield and then use a single target attack. With this setup you could tank the heavier mobs / boss while running around shooting the normal mobs.
    I wouldn't bother with the 1h/Shield combo personally. You only have 1 common 6L, your chest, to share between melee and ranged weapons. So swapping to 1h/Shield would inherently limit your melee options. Also without taking enough shield passives, I don't think carrying around a shield with Tempest Shield is worth too much.

The benefit of having a bow/melee build would be that when you go in melee there is stronger close range AOE. Not necessity tanking prowess.

Lastly, I don't think its even needed to carry a shield for "extra tanking". If you look at the build I gave, its stacked to the gills in Life, Armor and resistances unbuffed and even more with Arctic Armor, Grace, Enduring Cry and Molten Shell running. Which are all possible plus the Decoy Totem.

It would just be a massive waste of time and resources to use a 1h/Shield. Kinda pointless or stupidly expensive for no great benefit. Likely would defeat the point/benefit of even having a bow weapon.

If I wanted to be ranged/melee and carry a shield I would use Spectral Throw, Cleave and Lightning Strike with an axe or dagger MH. Not a bow swap weapon build.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-30 at 05:03 PM.

Deleted
    I'm currently kind of turned off by the awful combat, it seems like hits register like half a second later.. i also don't like how you have to wait a eternity and stand still for every single spell or attack.. does it get better later in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    does it get better later in the game?
    Yes. Because there are a lot of mechanics that give the impression you describe early on. Or at least, it is very likely you don't have the knowledge yet as to why combat feels that way for you or the means to resolve it.

Properly geared and played, Path of Exile is one of the fastest flowing ARPGs. On par with Meridian for D2, IMO.

The game can be too fast in some cases. Leads to your [unintended] death sometimes.

Path of Exile is not very forgiving of ignorance. The game is not casually accessible to the same degree as other ARPGs. Most people don't get pass the second difficulty.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-30 at 05:14 PM.

Deleted
    cool, i'll go on then with my marauder, is it recommended to spend all my skill points on health or should i get some damage too?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    cool, i'll go on then with my marauder, is it recommended to spend all my skill points on health or should i get some damage too?
    Depends. You should have a build planned out and follow it. Just taking "whatever" as you go along is likely to be disastrous and/or greatly time consuming.

What league you are playing, how serious you are about the game and what degree of time you can invest also factor into things. Also whether you intend to have an endgame or difficulty complete character. Which can be two different things. And also the league ladder.

As I said, the game is unforgiving of ignorance. POE becomes progressively more so as you climb in levels & difficulty. Players can often be roadblocked at level 50 by a decision made at level 8. With only limited means to undo the choice usually.

Not that one can't undo choices. But its costly and requires as much planning in some cases as planning out an initial build.

The game is... complex. To put it mildly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-30 at 06:23 PM.

Just started playing POE a few days ago, and a small question to anyone who knows: Does Eldritch Battery stack with the "Increased Maximum Energy Shield" passives? I'm going to need quite a bit of mana for what I have planned, and that seems like a pretty efficient way to end up with a high mana pool in the higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Just started playing POE a few days ago, and a small question to anyone who knows: Does Eldritch Battery stack with the "Increased Maximum Energy Shield" passives? I'm going to need quite a bit of mana for what I have planned, and that seems like a pretty efficient way to end up with a high mana pool in the higher levels.
    Yes, increased ES will first boost your ES that then converts to mana that is increased by percent mana passives. Perhaps a simpler description is that EB takes what ever ES you would have had after auras and passives and turns it in to mana.

Generally speaking the game is very logical and does exactly what the descriptions says.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2013-12-30 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Yes, increased ES will first boost your ES that then converts to mana that is increased by percent mana passives. Perhaps a simpler description is that EB takes what ever ES you would have had after auras and passives and turns it in to mana.

Generally speaking the game is very logical and does exactly what the descriptions says.
    That's good to know, all that should be left for me then is to load up on Cast on Crit and Lesser/Greater Multiple projectiles for every spell I've got. I swear I'll become a Gradius boss if it kills me.

Specifically your base ES is multiplied by the sum of your increased ES and increased max mana, and then that is added to your base mana multiplied by your increased max mana to get your final maximum mana. The same process is done with all damage and stat conversions.

Ex: 100 base ES with 10% increased ES, 10% increased max mana and Eldritch Battery becomes 120 mana (not 121).

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Time to go out and get drunk for new years and then nurture my hangover until the one week starts. Aiming for a top 40 spot at least.

Happy new years to you all.

Just RIPed at lvl 62 in Nemesis, on my Eldrith Battery/Mind over Matter "Mana Shield" EK Scion.

Went to The Broken Bridge in Merciless forgetting to put on my Fire Resistance rings:

Oneshot by Explosive Arrow...

Dying in Hardcore is really fucking annoying lol.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Time to go out and get drunk for new years and then nurture my hangover until the one week starts. Aiming for a top 40 spot at least.

Happy new years to you all.
    Happy new year to you Redblade, hopefully your hangover won't hold you back to much :P

Deleted
    No big pootches soon
    We're on schedule to deploy content update 1.0.5 on Thursday, January 9, NZ time (soon after the one-week race ends). This news post outlines roughly what you should expect from the patch.

We're expecting update 1.0.5 to include at least the following:
    A new support gem, Enlighten (part of the Enhance/Empower series).
    Several new microtransactions, including the animated Medusa Helmet Skin.
    More vendor recipes to hunt for. There's one that's going to be very useful for high level players.
    New Unique items, including (most likely) two designed by Brother Laz.
    New achievements.
    Balance tweaks to some skills such as Flame Totem, Punishment and Freeze Mine. The final list may be different though.

1.0.5 isn't a particularly large patch, because it is being made during a period where most of our team have been away for Christmas/New Year. A slew of larger changes will come in 1.0.6.

I'm sorry about the late news post - I'm on my last day of vacation before I travel home and it took a long time to find cellphone internet coverage so that I could post the news!
    Summary of 2013 year for Path of Exile:
    It's just about to become 2014 in New Zealand, so we've decided to post a short retrospective on what has been the most exciting year of Path of Exile's history. PoE's success in 2013 is almost entirely due to our amazing community. Your patience, support, feedback and dedication have allowed us to grow Path of Exile into the game we always wanted it to be. Thank you for an amazing year - we're looking forward to making 2014 even better!

In 2013:
    Path of Exile evolved from Closed Beta to Open Beta (late January) and then to full Release (late October).
    We deployed 87 patches, ran over 1000 race events, posted 286 daily deals and 222 news posts.
    Grinding Gear Games expanded from 20 people to 55! While our core development team doubled in size (to 35) we also scaled up our customer support department by a factor of ten.
    We had three sets of supporter packs for sale at different times during 2013 (the tail end of the Closed Beta packs, the Open Beta packs and the current Release packs.
    Over 3.7 million new players signed up to play Path of Exile.
    We hit a peak of almost 70,000 people playing Path of Exile at the same time. We expect to beat this record as we localise the game to more countries next year!
    We had the pleasure of meeting several hundred fans at meetups in various countries.
    Zero Unique Fish were caught.
    1 in every 500 people alive visited www.pathofexile.com.
    Path of Exile won numerous awards including GameSpot's 2013 PC Game of the Year.

Have a great New Year, guys. Thanks again for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Dying in Hardcore is really fucking annoying lol.
    I thought you love it...