Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I think one thing that could help poe go in the correct direction would just be cleaning up the needlessly convoluted systems
    I agree, but I don't see this happening before PoE2, if at all.

Because honestly, so many of these systems and mechanics are so deeply rooted in the game and touch on so many areas that it'd be impossible. Like, they're great for GGG since they give them so many nobs and levers to turn to balance things and they give hardcore players so much room to explore these mechanics and find out ways to abuse/exploit them or ways to counter them.

My brother actually linked a video that's a few years old from a bigger streamer on this, highlighting the issue with Koam's boots and how they could confuse new players. It stemmed from the notion that, "Oh, you can understand everything in the game if you just read it and do some poking around on the wiki", which just ain't true.

Everything on them is straightforward, except for the "cannot have movement speed reduced below base value" line - full disclosure, I was wrong about this until I watched that video too.

I, like others, thought that meant that your base, 100% movement speed before any modifiers was your "base value" and that you couldn't be slowed beyond that...which isn't true, because there are multiple mechanics in the game that reduce your base value and Koams would do nothing to stop this. But the only way to know that would be to go to the wiki for Koams boots, look at the related skill tree node, see the added effect of the skill tree node, and then go to a third wiki page to see that there are different slowing affects that can either impact your current or base value.

That you need to go through 3-4 wiki pages, and know the order to look at them in, is kinda the point and the problem. You shouldn't have to do that to understand basic mechanics.

The boots are perfectly fine. They work as intended, and there is no problem with their description as it perfectly describes what they do. The problem is knowing the mechanics that interact with that, and that those mechanics may differ, which the vast majority of players don't know. And this video was over two years old, so there have been roughly 8 leagues since then adding more mechanics and systems on top of what already existed.

Those are more structural problems that IMO stem from their earlier days as a scrappy indie with tight budgets and little development experience, but the problem is that I keep seeing these kinds of obtuse mechanics implemented as the complexity is increased, raising the barrier of entry for new players.

The more I've thought about PoE2, the more I'm actually thinking that GGG will considerably slow down combat with it. Just look at the absolutely absurd levels of power players are achieving with between 2-4 six links (chest, 2h, gloves, hat), though realistically most builds seem to only require 2 for the most part (stuff dies too quickly for more to be needed). Now think about how strong players will be with 6-7 six linked gems. Those are more cooldown based abilities that do far more damage than spammed ones, more layered DoT mechanics to help take down high HP bosses, more buffed defensive skills etc.

The only way that I can see that playing out without taking the existing meta and power and cranking that sucker up to 11 is to really slow the game down to allow for more room for players to use multiple 6L attacks while also needing to actively use defensive skills more often. I'm really, really hoping that's what happens, and that it comes with a massive overhaul of mechanics and systems to address the pointless complexity and obtuseness of much of them. But I'll be happy if they even make a bare minimum effort.

I want to enjoy PoE again, but with the direction it's going in it's hard.

Don't even get me started on visuals though...even with loot turned off it's still hard to see what the hell is going on with a lot of builds/fights -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I don't think you've played D3 in a while because yes the game showers you in legendaries and 'build defining items' but then you need to farm for those same items but Ancient (a rare version with upgraded stats) aswell. And if you've done that you can hunt for an even better, even more rare version called Primal Ancient which has even more stats.

Its no different then PoE where 99% of drops are actually useless and your just praying to RNjesus for the good stuff.
    Nah, you're grinding for interesting items in PoE (or currency to buy those items). In D3 you're just grinding for a 1% increase, it's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    im thinking about skipping this one.. the whole harvest mechanic seems like shit, i also hate all the stupid leagues with stupid menus the cover the entire screen where you need to read and click, that's so annoying, i just want to kill monsters/bosses

every activity outside of killing mobs and maybe crafting is annoying
    Yea, I couldn't give less of a damn about the league.
    Advanced crafting opportunities for the 1%?

But I'm super excited to play Earthquake. It's probably still gonna suck in the whole scheme of things, but new gems and warcry changes seems neat enough.
    I just wish they would get over this "slower and stronger" nonsense already...
    Last edited by Snowfunk; 2020-06-09 at 02:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    you can't possibly see or register all of what is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Don't even get me started on visuals though...even with loot turned off it's still hard to see what the hell is going on with a lot of builds/fights -_-

I'd settle for a log of the effects that actually killed me. As it stands I'll be cruising along at full health/shield for most of a level....when suddenly I'll just be dead with no explanation or time to react. And no idea of what did it so I can pay attention to avoid it in the future.

I'm not even mad that I got killed. I'm mad that I can't LEARN from it. That's outright bad game design.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-06-09 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I don't think you've played D3 in a while because yes the game showers you in legendaries and 'build defining items' but then you need to farm for those same items but Ancient (a rare version with upgraded stats) aswell. And if you've done that you can hunt for an even better, even more rare version called Primal Ancient which has even more stats.
    That's one reason why I won't touch D3 again. Your class is literally unplayable without the correct set for the correct build and all the auxiliary legendaries for the non set slots, and after that all you do is grind for the same item just with bigger bells and whistles. Basically the same thing as titanforge in WOW that I also grew to hate with a passion.

POE is more about balancing various stats both offensive and defensive and gradual improvement rather than slapping "your meta skill does 20000% more damage" item and then having only token upgrades. For some it might be bad because often replacing 1 item creates an avalanche of having to replace other items because you lost the stat balance. But the only equivalent of D3 build in POE would be a build that has way too many "build defining uniques" in it, and I tend to avoid these builds. Luckily we have quite a few builds that function with very basic common items but have a lot of room for tweaking instead of "just get the same item, only 10% better".

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakesz View Post
    I just wish they would get over this "slower and stronger" nonsense already...
    I love slower and stronger. It just needs to work.
    Consecrated Path is one of the most fun skills in the game.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

On a side note, did you know that there's a part of the Lunaris Temple that was designed after a real location? I was watching the movie Inferno the other night (free to stream on Tubi) and the final showdown took place in this temple in Turkey that HAD to be the inspiration to part of the Lunaris Temple.

It's more obvious when you see it in motion. Pretty neat, I had no idea this was a real place.

10+ Year Old Account

Eh, I think we will never again get armor set like the one from talisman league. This cloak and portal looks nice but we had now so many portals and wings for free that I have way too much of them while missing some decent armor skins ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Eh, I think we will never again get armor set like the one from talisman league.
    Don't think so, no, full armor set for a challenge feels a bit too much when others just give 1 item. However they did make alot of helmet rewards, they could do let's say a chest piece, but they don't want to create one without full set probably. I lucked on a nice chest piece from some free lootbox from some past event (there was 1 from flashback a year ago, 1 for xmas and 1 for corona :P ) ended up buying some mtx to match to it because I really like it.

I don't have any of the "free" portals except Blight because that was the only time it was for 24 not 36. But this one looks so nice that I hope I can grind for it, fingers crossed for no cancer achievements this time (like the fking chance orb one, my luck is so bad I always reach 5-10 times the number of tries than what people claim is "average").

But yeah, back pieces we had like every league, in delirium even 2. I want a character effect. I don't have any and last one was in harbinger.

Footprints are nice though, I hate the metamorph ones, feels like I'm squashing cockroaches as I walk.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't GGG been adding flat phys to a lot of attacks in recent patches to help melee feel better while leveling when compared to spells, and because attacks were so weapon dependant which is an issue early on?

Only to now turn around and remove a whole bunch of flat phys and make weapons even more crucial?
    Is there any way levelling with the promoted slam skills isn't going to feel completely terrible?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Cyclone

We have removed the stun immunity from cyclone, but made no other changes to it. This immunity was originally added to prevent implementation problems when positional desync was common, not as a core part of the skill's design. Being able to move while dealing damage is already a powerful defensive benefit, and melee attackers are usually more resistant to stuns. The skill will still make you immune to knockback, and vaal cyclone still retains its stun immunity.

Meh

Development Manifesto: Game Balance in Path of Exile: Harvest

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Kinda hoping the new warcry clusters will help shield throw not suck at single target without having to put a billion exalts into a guild for once.

It's not...bad, but I'm not seeing a ton that makes me want to play again. Still not interested in the league mechanics, but I do want to see how the new 2H builds play out. Been ages since I last played any character with a 2H, and that was an old (and pretty garbage) starforge impale cyclone character. Maybe with warcries there's room for a super tanky jug build to not be garbage again, that'd be fun.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with that Manifesto either. Just seems like net nerfs all around.

Maybe a Thicc 2H Jugg might work with Warcries, or BV Thicctain.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Patch Notes https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2873739

Think I will start with Thiccnaut.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

going ez-mode, ball lightning miner.

Yeah Ball Miner will be my Plan B.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Yeah Ball Miner will be my Plan B.
    TBF I just like to hit things with my balls

10+ Year Old Account
    2h Sunder?

sounds like fun?

Or just not play again like the last few leagues lol

- - - Updated - - -

every league I get to maps and burn out

Will this be the league I finally beat Uber Elder?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

So wait...

Stun lasts .2 seconds? And there's a 2/4 second immunity after that? I dunno why, but I thought stun lasted longer...that kinda kills the only interest I really had, which was to try a silly 2H jug with stuns and that just seems like garbage.

Think I'll sit this league out. May give it a bit of a try to give the mechanics a fair shake, but I don't even know what the hell I'd want to play with these latest changes.