Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

PvP players, I have a question for you

Do you mostly/always play PvP, and give little/no attention to PvE? Either way, why?

I am considering going entirely PvP. Primarily because the gear seems easier to obtain (though I could be wrong), and also it seems somewhat less stressful.

Looking for answers/opinions on this.

iam no expert in pvp but i know for me pvp is better 'cuz u can play bg anytime u want and u dont have to worry about somone telling u to come for the raid exactly at certan time

I'm a dedicated PvPer, but I do PvE too.. since some PvE items are good for PvP.

Here's what I would say though: when you're first gearing up for PvP to get full Ruthless it's going to be a lot of dying and frankly too not fun. Use this time to get better at surviving, help team mates score kills, and trying things out.. that's what I do.

Once you get full Ruthless you basically go with the flow and get Conquest each week while doing whatever you want to do. I prefer Arenas on my DK, Rated Battlegrounds on my Druid, etc.

Rated Battlegrounds increase your Conquest cap by a significantly large amount compared to Arenas. Here's a calculator for a rough estimate based on rating: whatsmycap.com
    Last edited by Scorth; 2012-06-29 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slahaldin View Post
    iam no expert in pvp but i know for me pvp is better 'cuz u can play bg anytime u want and u dont have to worry about somone telling u to come for the raid exactly at certan time
    Not entirely true. BGs are like dungeons. If you wanna compare, you should compare Rated battlegrounds to raids...and I'm sure the good rated battleground teams have some structure of time the people have to show up.

Anyway. I do both PVE and PVP, because I really only play my Mage (and a DK), and playing both aspects of the game is necessary for me to really understand my character(s). I tend to PVP less than I PVE because I can't find a solid RBG team or arena partners.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing I'm aware of is that almost all PvP gear is "available" to you for Honor/Conquest (with the exception of such gear which for some reason requires an arena rating). You don't have to fight a certain NPC for a mere chance to get the item you want. With PvP gear it is a sure thing provided you have the points for it.

in my opinion, i love to PVP becuase it's not the same thing over and over, in raids and dungeons for the most part...you know what's coming at exactly what time and everything. With PVP even if you match against the same team 3 or 4 times in a row it will always be different, thats the main reason i like to pvp.
    Last edited by ChristopherD87; 2012-07-01 at 12:58 AM.

Deleted
    I'm doing PvP alot and doing only weekly LFR cause of the gold sence you dont earn anything thru PvP, saddly.

Stood in the Fire Arthur-the-exalted's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post
    Do you mostly/always play PvP, and give little/no attention to PvE? Either way, why?

I am considering going entirely PvP. Primarily because the gear seems easier to obtain (though I could be wrong), and also it seems somewhat less stressful.

I do both, pvp is fun but so is getting gear and out dpsing everyone else, both competitive and both fun

My reasons echo some that have already been mentioned here:

1. Time - I don't have enough time to dedicate to raiding and pve in general. I do like to dabble in things like LFD, levelling alts, playing the AH for money, and LFR just enough to keep me satisfied with seeing other areas of the game. However, I like that if I want to do really casual pvp i can hop in a bg. If i want to be more serious i can play RBG / Arena.

2. Rewards - this was more subtle but now i that i think about it, i agree. It IS nice that I can buy the gear when i have the points instead of fighting over a drop with others.

3. PvP is simply more fun and exciting for me than PvE.

Ultimately, you should want to Pvp for reason 3 that i mentioned. If you simply want it because the gear is 'easier' to obtain, i dont think you will be happy in the long run. Besides, remember if it's only a gear thing that pve gear will have higher item levels than pvp gear.

Can't stand PvE, for the following reasons:

- it's incredibly boring, thus also frustrating to me, regardless what part of PvE we talk about (quests, dungeons, raids)
    - I also have an aversion against PvE and PvE players, as I have the impression that the game focus IS PvE, and I also often see PvE players demand awful and pathetic things (like more protection against non consensual PvP and ganking on PvP servers)
    - I really don't know why I should prefer to fight mindless creatures with no emotions, instead of fighting more intelligently and less predictable acting players
    - PvE has tanks. Tanks completely prevent a good creature AI. AI (artificial intelligence) is part of every modern game, yet in mmos it's basically prohibited, as boss monsters with good AI wouldn't EVER touch the tank, they would go for healers or any DPS. There's a reason why this incredibly overpowered aggro mechanic, which is basically some sort of mind control, doesn't work in PvP. Forcing a player to not be able to detarget his current target would be just incredible.
    - in raids you are 1 of 25, in PvP your are 1 of 3 (your part is 4% vs 33%).
    - high end PvE (raids) is more about discipline, knowing things by heart, respecting the raid schedule which can be a horrible thing (big IRL impact). PvP is more about skill.
    - Self earned Gladiator is the only title that matters (I don't have it). The rest of the titles are pretty much just junk.

I guess my aversion is clearly visible...

"I am considering going entirely PvP. Primarily because the gear seems easier to obtain (though I could be wrong), and also it seems somewhat less stressful."

If you are thinking of going hardcore PvP then no, gear is not easier to obtain.
    If you are going hardcore PvP then no, it's not less stress than PvE, it's way more stress. I've done both 2,5k and 8/8 HC and I can do the PvE part while watching some random show on my other screen while PvP requires consentrasion.

Not sure about that part, losing because of random RNG retardedness or because a class just "outclasses" you is probably the most frustrating thing ever. Personally I only found some raiding stressful, unless I'm racing for server firsts or something I wouldn't get all jittery. In PvP it's different, I'm always on an edge because I always wanna win, redoing a boss is much easier then getting back the rating you lost from one lose.

Getting PvP gear is a bit two sided. The gear is easy to obtain if you are good, you can bench at 2.2k in 3v3 and cap with 2v2 or RBGs for example. You do need to be good enough to get to 2.2k first ofcourse, at this point in the season you probably won't get there since the ladder is filled with people sitting on their rating and in order to get 2.2k you'll have to beat higher rated people then normally (if that makes sense ).

As for the PvE part, PvE 2 piece is ridiculous for some classes and heavily out performs the PvP counterparts (ret for example), it's the same story for trinkets and for weapons aswell, this might change in MoP though, and full PvP is still viable right now, unlike the end of wrath where you only had 1 PvP ring for example (and the one from previous season with a stupidly low ilvl).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevoc View Post
    - in raids you are 1 of 25, in PvP your are 1 of 3 (your part is 4% vs 33%).
    This is actually competly off, 1 player is just as important in a 25 man raid as it is in a 3v3 arena, twins in sunwell for example or LK HC, if you brought 1 person who didn't know what to do he could still wipe the entire raid by not watching 1 mechanic. Same for Baron Geddon in MC, if I recall the bombed person had to move from the group. If this didn't happen, more people would get hit and suffer falling damage or possible death. And this is 1/40 we would be talking about (there's probably a better example which I can't think off... ) Putting a % on "your part" isn't relevent tbh.
    Last edited by ophion1990; 2012-06-29 at 08:57 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've found only one problem with PvP, and that is actually forming an arena team and getting into a match. Winning said match, although necessary to advance arena rank, comes second to the above IMO.

Even with my standing out the front of Ogrimarr (dunno how to spell it), politely asking ppl, I still get nowhere. Somehow I acquire Conquest Points even when doing random BGs, and I have succeeded in acquiring a few pieces of CP-bought gear. However 1650 CP per week is not really enough to acquire all Cataclysmic Gladiator gear for a Hunter (only got shoulders and one of the rings so far).

Anyone wanna join, that'd be great. Look for Hongaro on Frostmourne US.

Deleted
    From experience pure PvP'ers are the douchebags in BG's, and when you confront them on anything they are all like "LOL M8 NICE DESTROYERS END TITLE I AM 2K RATED PRO YO" like it even matters at all in the real world :P So I dunno, maybe pure PvP'ers are more antisocial and enjoy killing others, personally I balance both PvP and PvE because I enjoy the team aspect of the game.

The only way to be competitive in RBGs is to PVE. So I HAVE to pay attention to PVE to get a higher rating.

Deleted
    Did only PvE until like the end of Firelands (been playing since the start of wrath) and I have now just lost almost all interest in PvE. I just do the occasional DS run for cunning of the cruel or some transmog shit. Standing in one spot spamming spells and DBM telling me when to move, only to wipe cus a tank DC's then spend 1 hour searching for a tank in trade, meanwhile half the raid fake DCs - just isn't as compelling for me anymore. I like that in PvP those strange spells you get at lvl 42 that you think "wtf when will i EVER use that" (hibernate, scare beast, etc) actually matter. You use everything you have and you have to be smart about what to use and when. PvP to me is almost like a game of chess with each GCD signifying a turn. (I main a warrior so what I do and when actually matters :-p) but yeah, unless the raids in MoP are fantastic, I can't see myself doing any more than the occasional LFR run.

PvP is more fun. No fight is exactly the same. PvE is incredibly boring and easy for me. (inb4 "ye clear her0ic plz". I got accepted into a top 50 Oceanic guild simply by stating I was a gladiator player.)

RBGs/BGs are boring and aren't PvP for me, not only that they lack any sort of skill comparable to arena (2400 in RBG's is about 1800 in arena). I only enjoy arena. Only reason I PvE is to get stupidly OP PvE items.

Long story short, I hate PvE - it's boring. I hate RBGs/BGs more. I only arena.

Also, there's no such thing as a "PvP only player". You don't 'decide' to be a PvPer as if it's some chosen path. You do whatever the fuck you want.
    this game sucks

I end up pvping because I can't stand raiding with strangers

I was pve at first but now its boring as fuck. Cant be fucked doing a heroic even.

PvP is where its at yo.

Deleted
    Have been PvP'ing all cata... Its much more fun