Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why do Americans call themselves world champions when they win a national sportscon.

I'am a big fan of both NFL, NBA and NHL BUT one question remains unanswered. When they win SuperBowl, The cup they refer to themselves as world champions even though they technically "only" won a regional championsship.

Why is it that this use of the term "world champions" is used incorrectly by purpose. I refuse to bellieve they don't know that theres a world outside of America.

Why do they call it Mr. Universe

Quote Originally Posted by zuluslayer View Post
    I'am a big fan of both NFL, NBA and NHL BUT one question remains unanswered. When they win SuperBowl, The cup they refer to themselves as world champions even though they technically "only" won a regional championsship.

Why is it that this use of the term "world champions" is used incorrectly by purpose. I refuse to bellieve they don't know that theres a world outside of America.
    Well, I didn't know the American version of football even existed outside the states. I don't even think it's a sport found anywhere else on a national level.

cause we rock duh

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Well, I didn't know the American version of football even existed outside the states. I don't even think it's a sport found anywhere else on a national level.
    There's a few countries in Europe that play it, England and Germany at least. I think there has even been some talk of getting a UK team into the NFL. Also Canada has its own football league.

The best players in the world play those sports in America. Not really a difficult concept to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    There's a few countries in Europe that play it, England and Germany at least. I think there has even been some talk of getting a UK team into the NFL. Also Canada has its own football league.
    That would be pretty cool!

The assumption is, the rest of the world automatically forfeits. Anyone protesting such forfeiture have a tendency to disappear by the next morning.
    I know that you are reading this, and I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by gamma Ray View Post
    Why do they call it Mr. Universe
    Never understood this either. Miss World would just seem to do the trick?

Because in most cases, the American leagues are the highest level of competition for that particular sport. In the case of Football, Baseball, Basketball and I assume Hockey as well. It's not like Soccer, where different leagues throughout the World are on a pretty even playing field for the most part.

It's still probably not the proper way to term it however.

Quote Originally Posted by scadouche View Post
    The best players in the world play those sports in America.
    This sums it up pretty nicely. While the league itself is mostly in the US, the nationality of the players is very diverse. In fact, the NHL is not just a US thing, teams in Canada as well. I don't know if the NBA still has a couple of Canadian teams still or not.

The best players in the world play those sports in America. Not really a difficult concept to grasp.
    lol okay and im dating princess bubblegum and having an affair with Marcelline on the side
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    The winner of the Champions League isn't named world champion, even though it features the best clubs of the world.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

While you are technically right, there isn't any other team that would even compete in the sports you mentioned. That is why they are considered world champions.

Probably because the Superbowl and the Stanley Cup are the two biggest achievements in their given sport throughout the world (although one could probably argue the Olypmics are bigger for hockey). Of course they aren't stupid enough to think that America is the entire world.

There are other leagues for professional American Football at least (the Canadian Football League, the AFL, etc) but they wouldn't call themselves world champs because it is not the highest level of their given sport.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    cause we rock duh
    This made me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Of course they aren't stupid enough to think that America is the entire world.
    I wouldn't throw my hands over fire on that one.

OT, if there's no bigger event on that sport anywhere else, then let them have the world champion title! I really can't remember any other country where american football is as popular as in the USA.

On the other sports though, that's just wrong. But it goes along the lines of Miss Universe and all that crap, I guess.
    Last edited by naifas; 2012-07-03 at 11:32 PM.

Deleted
    I've hated this ever since I was a child. I'm in America now and on the NBA finals they called Miami the world champions, sorry, but it's only American teams competing in their league, you don't have the right to say that you are world champions, typical American behaviour.

Don't insult people just because of where they live. - Mod
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-07-04 at 01:52 AM.

pretty much this. THe leagues are the best in the world. Although they should say league champions. World champions implies that it was some sort of national tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
    I've hated this ever since I was a child. I'm in America now and on the NBA finals they called Miami the world champions, sorry, but it's only American teams competing in their league, you don't have the right to say that you are world champions, typical American behaviour.
    Players also come from all around the world, and people playing in other leagues throughout the world strive to make it to the NBA. It's the highest level of play for the given sport in the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Although it is played here, like almost every sport is...if you asked 99.5% of the UK population to name a UK based American football team, they would say they couldnt.
    Its never ever in the news, not shown on any respectable network. No one ever hears about it anywhere really. American football is about as popular over here as Cricket is to the US