Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It was really cool and interesting the first time through. After beating Diablo, going back and doing it all over again had very little appeal. It was a great once through game......but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by sir nackdoe View Post
    did they offer a game that was complete? Yes. Did they give you said game? Yes. Can you play and beat said game? Yes.

I'm sorry but what exactly didn't they do that was required by their end as the game distributor again?

they charged us to test their game post release for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    I think alot of you saw the world "failed" and went nuts. The topic is about why do people think it failed. Not that it failed, because it frankly didn fail at all. It was a hit, and whether you wanted to play it for 6 years or not is besides the point.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    Over 6 million in sales is one hell of a failure.

I wish I could fail like that more often.
    the GAME is the failure, not the money it made. You're the kind of guy who says "those firestone tires that exploded and killed the people driving with them didn't fail, they made 180 million off them". You sir, do not get it

To everyone talking about how many copies it sold and claiming that it is an indication of how the game actually performs, you buy it to FIND OUT what the game is like. If this game let you play it for 30 days with the option to pay and keep your character and the game, or forefit it all at the end of that initial month. They would make nothing, because once you play the game you realize where it went wrong.

I don't possibly see how the game failed on any level. Unreasonable expectations from the player base are a larger issue than the game itself. By any measure, the hours I've put into it mean that I have gotten my money's worth out of it, even if I were to never touch it again.

This isn't an MMO, this isn't any sort of FPS that has innately endless replay value. You play till you simply don't feel like doing so anymore, and that's all there is to it. In fact, anything 'left to do' aside from beating the game on normal mode is entirely up to the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    Diablo 3 failed in some respects and was a monumental success in others.
    Diablo 3 Succeeded at:
    2) Financially - selling millions of copies and keeping the money flowing with the RMAH at least for the short term while they plan out the long term hooks to keep people playing and using the RMAH, I don't think anyone doubts that D3 was and will continue to be a financial success
    Except that Blizzard is now being forced to refund people in some countries.
    I am Dave ! Yognaught, and I have the balls!

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    Diablo 3 failed for me because once I beat the game on Normal difficulty level, it was tedious to go through it all again three more times on Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno. Nothing new was brought to the table except the creatures got stronger. I didn't see the point.
    This is the exact reason why WoW raiding is failing IMO. I beat Deathwing on normal, there is just no incentive to do it again on heroic.

For me one the best things about it, is the reason I find it a bit lacking. The AH. You no longer have to sit in an difficulty/act and farm and farm and farm until items you need drop. The AH in turn allowed 90% of the player base to skyrocket into at least Act 1 Inferno in no time. There is no way this should have happened. "Beta" should have been an actual beta. Not us playing each class 10-11 lvls and beating the Skeleton King. Give us an actual beta and players could have found the Athene Monk exploit, and devs would have seen the rediculous glass cannon builds with AS. I know why beta wasnt done though, I mean come on... if you played beta you would have seen all there was to the game. You would then know you would just repeat everything 100s of times over.

I also do not buy how they could not imagine players doing the quick quest "exploits" that were happening. Its a grind game for getting gear. How on earth could players not be expected to find the quickest and easiest way to do this.

Finally the crafting system (in my eyes) is totally pointless the way it is. There is absolutely nothing to it. You need gold and a few tombs/pages that drop like wild fire in the game. What fun is that to collect and burn gold continuously only to get a string of 8-10 items totally worthless. Sweet there goes hundreds of thousands of gold that took me a few hours to get. Glad my entire gaming day was wasted. Honestly something like the H.Cube in D2 would be awesome. Allow us a way to creatively craft our gear. The BS/JC vendor is w/e. I quit BS'ing about 4 lvls in. JC I maxed because I can get more out of it. Maxing it took me all of 5 minutes once I got the "mats" out of my bank.

Do I enjoy the game... for the most part yes. I personally do not mind grinding the same thing over and over and over and over and over. Heck what is WoW... the exact same thing week after week. Nothing new nothing different in my eyes. PVP in WoW is nothing I want to do. The only time I do dailies/rep grinds is when they offer rewards that enhance raiding. All raiding is is D3 Act farming. The only difference to me is I can do D3 as many times as I am able to.

It isnt all bad though, at least not to me. I do enjoy playing the game and have almost 200hrs on my barb. I want to lvl and DH, Sorc, and WD. The main caviot to this is that the way NV is I have to have MANY hours to sit down and do this. Something the wife isnt always thrilled with lol. D2 I could pop on and find something to do easily in 10-15 mins that could possibly lead me to an upgrade. That is no wear near feasbile in D3. I played D2 and D2X for MANY years... right now I do not know if I can say this for D3.

Someone said it earlier but (for lack of a better term) spoiled people need that instant gratification of an "easy" game. Gone are the days of a game being relatively hard for the masses to beat. Everyone and their cousin (who fell on his head) is supposed to be able to beat any game that comes out now. Rather frustrating.
    Last edited by Hurpdurp; 2012-07-05 at 06:52 PM.

every piece of armor must have all resists or its shit, broken loot right there.

only rings/gloves/amulet can escape all resists but they all need loh/critdmg/crit chance/a speed.

soon as u see a chest piece or legs or boots etc with no AR...its not going to be worth anything unless its near PERFECT str/int/dex.

this makes 99.9% of items pure shit which is boring.

btw i played diablo 2 for 4? years so yeh i knew what to expect but it failed thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I don't possibly see how the game failed on any level. Unreasonable expectations from the player base are a larger issue than the game itself. By any measure, the hours I've put into it mean that I have gotten my money's worth out of it, even if I were to never touch it again.

This isn't an MMO, this isn't any sort of FPS that has innately endless replay value. You play till you simply don't feel like doing so anymore, and that's all there is to it. In fact, anything 'left to do' aside from beating the game on normal mode is entirely up to the individual.
    What would you say if WoW 2 was shipped without LFG, LFR, Transmogrification, Reforging, Fishing, Cooking, etc...?

Would you call it unreasonable expectations if the player base assumed they were supposed to be in game? Would you be ok with the fact that transmogrification would take 7 years to develop in WoW 2?

That's what a lot of Diablo fans are feeling right now.

Blizzard goes out of their way to attract the WoW audience to Diablo 3, then people get confused why people were expecting a MMO? Incoming paid DLC patches anyways unless people really are that dense not to see the next obvious step.

$5 we see this by next month
    "Unfortunately the content patches cannot be done for free due to the cost of development, so to continue to log into Diablo3 you will be required to have the most recent content patch. We apologize for the inconvenience"

People are sheep plain and simple

i was always telling people in the d3 forums to calm the f. down and chill until the release of the game. hyping it up will never -ever- give you a satisfactory endresult.. and see what they have now ~~

i never let myself get hyped and im pretty fine with how the game turned out. its actually the only game im willing to play right now, so thats kind of a good sign there. i already tried to find several other titles to get me hooked for a bit, but i always went back to d3. its smooth playstyle simply cant be beaten by any other current game.

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Blizzard goes out of their way to attract the WoW audience to Diablo 3, then people get confused why people were expecting a MMO? Incoming paid DLC patches anyways unless people really are that dense not to see the next obvious step.

$5 we see this by next month
    "Unfortunately the content patches cannot be done for free due to the cost of development, so to continue to log into Diablo3 you will be required to have the most recent content patch. We apologize for the inconvenience"

People are sheep plain and simple
    you are a sheep in your very own way /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    you are a sheep in your very own way /facepalm
    You want to sit here and tell me this does not smell of Final Fantasy 11 all over again. Same shit different decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    What would you say if WoW 2 was shipped without LFG, LFR, Transmogrification, Reforging, Fishing, Cooking, etc...?

Would you call it unreasonable expectations if the player base assumed they were supposed to be in game? Would you be ok with the fact that transmogrification would take 7 years to develop in WoW 2?

That's what a lot of Diablo fans are feeling right now.
    d3 didnt copy any gamesystem from d2... get your facts straight! talking about crafting? well, its implemented already Oo

it did not fail imo and it was like I expected it to be
    Diablo 1 experience is gone. I was expecting Diablo 3 not to live up to my expectations and so im ok with it.
    So I can say it lived up to my expectations of not expecting much from it :P

You want to sit here and tell me this does not smell of Final Fantasy 11 all over again. Same shit different decade.
    blizzard never had any pay2play dlc's up to this date and they wont start it now ~~

remember: those guys are playing their own games and are their own fans at the same time... i just cant believe that they would betray themselves this much.

sidenote: the rmah is not mandatory and i myself havent spent a single cent on it to this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    1) an actual GAME, worthy of an actual games length
    This sentence pretty much sums it up for me. I didn’t buy Diablo 3, even though I’m a long-time Blizzard buyer. I was busy with other projects, so I figured I’d wait. After seeing the whole saga unfold, I doubt I will ever buy it. There’s probably folks out there for whom it is a $60 title. But that universe of buyers for whom D3 is a ‘good buy’ seems pretty small to me. Why? Here’s what I think…

Back in the early 1970s, the 80s, and through the early 90s when a publisher made a video game they concentrated on the Single Player experience. Gameplay was the king, and titles were either made to be so innately ‘fun’ that you didn’t mind playing the same game over and over, or they so freakishly LONG that it took you weeks to finish them (if you ever did at all).

That all started changing in the mid-90s. With Doom deathmatches starting the ball rolling and then with Quake online multiplayer morphed computer games into two distinct ‘halves’… The first half was a solid single player game, and the second half was a free online add-on where you could play with friends that would carry a title along for years and sell more units. It was a heady, exciting time where games had BOTH a long and lavish single-player aspect as well as free online multiplayer longevity – all for the price of a single purchase.

But Diablo 3 is a multi-player only title that has a short, substandard, ‘faux single player’ aspect which feels tacked on. It is gorgeous looking. But when a casual gamer like me can chew through the ENTIRE base game in 4 or 5 short sittings? For $60? At that price, the game bloody better have a 40+ hour single player campaign. And taking the same 8 hours and calling it “32 hours” because there are different difficulty settings is silly. If that logic made any sense, then Doom 1 had 180 levels and 80+ hours of gameplay…

Go ahead and call me old fashioned and “things have changed”. My response is still that if a title doesn’t have 40+ hours of fully functional single player gameplay right out of the box, then it isn’t worth 60 bucks. Period. Full stop. End of story. Torchlight 2 will have 30+ hours of SP gameplay, free online multi, and will cost only about 40 bucks. Compared to that, D3 sounds like a total rip-off.

and then you release Final Fantasy 14... >,>

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    d3 didnt copy any gamesystem from d2... get your facts straight! talking about crafting? well, its implemented already Oo
    I don't think you understood what I said. This is exactly the problem with D3. Shitty items, no runewords, no special jewels, no op synergies, etc... People expected all of this + new graphics and new skills.

and for crafting... blacksmithing is a glorified version of gambling and instead of using the horadric cube, you pay gold to craft your gems. It probably took 2 minutes to brainstorm the crafting systems...

Like I said, just imagine one second if WoW 2 was shipped without LFR, LFG, Transmog, Reforging, etc... without adding any other systems to compensate.

I don't think it failed, it was just not worth waiting years and years for. And not worth the hype.

I personally lost interested in Act 2 on normal mode. Never even completed the game. I played D2 for a long time, years probably. Maybe I changed as a gamer, maybe I just liked MMOs more now. Maybe it just didn't feel new enough for me compared to D2. I don't know. All I know is I don't like it.