Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    So I guess walking on a man and stepping on his neck after he had already surrendered quite peacefully in the video, is a'okay. Good to know.

This whole marijuana issue is just ridiculous.... just make it so it can be smoked in shops. Actually I'm against smoking since it's unhealthy. I forgot what the method is called but it doesn't burn it just heats it up to smoking point. Do that instead.
    It's call vaporizing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Eh cops deal with people that break the law and lie about it every day.

If you aren't breaking the law, it's pretty rare for the cops to be involved with you.
    I'm pretty sure I didn't break the law when I called the cops during a domestic dispute when I was 13, and was told by a country sheriff not to call them again unless someone was injured because it was a waste of their time.

Morale of story is don't sell POT. How hard is to to make a living with a legal 8-5 job. Not hard, so if you get caught and get the shit kicked outta you by a cop then serves you right for breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You're running an illegal marijuana dispensary, the police are going to raid you and during that raid it's not too unbelievable to assume you are armed, or others are armed in the building, and they will treat you accordingly.

If they were being polite and just casually hand cuffed the guy who "surrendered peacefully," and then he suddenly turned violent and resisted arrest, grabbed a concealed weapon and killed someone, what then?

Having your neck stepped on while being arrested is pretty minor compared to the potential risk of someone being killed.
    Did u see were his arms were?... he was flat on his belly, with 2 cops that easyly couldve restrained him without STEPPING with his full body weight.
    Have u seen some of the other videos were police starts clubbing peaceful protesters?... IT all happened recently.

---------- Post added 2012-07-06 at 07:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Morale of story is don't sell POT. How hard is to to make a living with a legal 8-5 job. Not hard, so if you get caught and get the shit kicked outta you by a cop then serves you right for breaking the law.
    O.o moral of the story should be that Cops shouldnt use excessive force. Especially not towards a stoner!... Have u ever met a High aggresive person?... I havent, but ive been beat up for no apperant reason by 9 guys, They were drunk, i was a Greenlander.
    So morale of the story is, violence is a dumb mans solution...
    Also we all know that there is something wrong in the world...
    And a 8-5 job pays very well right?... I guess it does when 1% of the population has around 80% of the worlds wealth, another 14% has 19% of the wealth... That leaves 85% of the population to share 1%......
    Also like 90% of the worlds money is Digital, never existed on paper, only on a computer screen...
    Bankers control the flow, Barklays just got a fine for illegal stuff. Thats the guys we thrust with our money...
    U sir are ignorant.

Just checked the net for wealth distribution and it is as following.

December 7, 2006 A new study on The World Distribution of Household Wealth by the Helsinki-based World Institute for Development Economics Research of the United Nations University was launched earlier this week. The study shows the richest 2% of adults in the world own more than half of global household wealth. The most comprehensive study of personal wealth ever undertaken also reports that the richest 1% of adults alone owned 40% of global assets in the year 2000, and that the richest 10% of adults accounted for 85% of the world total. In contrast, the bottom half of the world adult population owned barely 1% of global wealth. The research finds that assets of US$2,200 per adult placed a household in the top half of the world wealth distribution in the year 2000. To be among the richest 10% of adults in the world required US$61,000 in assets, and more than US$500,000 was needed to belong to the richest 1%, a group which — with 37 million members worldwide — is far from an exclusive club.

A smart man once said
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Last edited by Johnkie; 2012-07-06 at 07:09 PM.

Just another prick cop abusing his power. There was no call for any of that in the video. Hope they get fired.

Even a cursory internet search will show you why police all over the country (and world for that matter) are behaving this way.
    DID YOU KNOW? That if you score TOO HIGH on the IQ test, you may be denied employment as a cop?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...be-a-good-cop/
    http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/19/we...h-iq-test.html

And this is apparently OK with the courts
    http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/ny...iq-scores.html
    http://digg.com/newsbar/Politics/cou...h_iqs_for_cops

And for those of you who are boasting of all the psychological evaluation that cops have to go through, I will refer you to the first two sentences of this writeup
    http://www.policepsych.com/screennote.php
    "The psychological evaluation is part of the process of determining whether an applicant is suited for the position. It is not a determination of mental health."

Did you read that clearly? The tests are not a determination of MENTAL HEALTH. So just because you pass the psych screening to be a cop, doesn't (in any way) mean you are a SANE COP....thanks, NEXT!

more?
    http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...ut-going-nuts/

8th paragraph : "In the same way, the psych screening is designed to rule-out significant mental disturbance or personality disorder that would be incompatible with the role of a police officer. The purpose is not to engage in an in-depth probe of the deepest reaches of your psyche to certify you as a paragon of mental health – otherwise there wouldn’t be very many working police officers (or psychologists, for that matter)."

Gee, I wonder what "incompatible with the role of a police officer" could mean? Someone sane perhaps? Someone capable of critical thinking? Paragons of mental health indeed.

breaking the camera is inexcusable. They were definitely intending to do something they didn't want people to see. You fire cops that do that. End of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    The marijuana store there didn't have a city permit if you watched the video you linked, therefore the cops had every right to be there and close it down. Obviously what they planned to do was wrong since they tried to break the camera. If they didn't break the camera this would not be police brutality, and would not be news worthy. That is why cops seem corrupt. You never hear in the news about a cop that did his job correctly, only when they fuck up. The media is the problem, not the couple of corrupt cops.
    This just in: Cops did their job correctly today - more at 11.

Of course they the media is there to see when they fuck up and its an incredibly good thing because it keeps them in line and prevents overt abuse of significant power.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    breaking the camera is inexcusable. They were definitely intending to do something they didn't want people to see. You fire cops that do that. End of story.
    Pretty much this. They had a right to be there and doing what they were doing. That's all good although they really did not have to step on the guys neck. But to break the camera purposely so there was no evidence is brutal. Especially when the police are always the first ones on the scene and are always in a position to corrupt or destroy evidence. Total and complete abuse of power.

What do they have to hide so bad that even for a routine little pot shop bust they are breaking security cameras. It makes me wonder what underhanded routines they do and have for the major stuff.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-07-07 at 07:49 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Destroying the cameras basically ends all doubt the cops fucked up, imo. If they had nothing to hide and were doing everything correctly, they wouldn't have needed to break the cameras and attempt to destroy the evidence.

Yes, the cops might have had a reason to be there, but they did use excessive force and the fact that they destroyed the cameras indicates that they either did something they knew was wrong or were planning to do something they knew was wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    This just in: Cops did their job correctly today - more at 11.

Of course they the media is there to see when they fuck up and its an incredibly good thing because it keeps them in line and prevents overt abuse of significant power.
    I could be wrong.... but is it not absolutely illegal for a cop to remove the means to record police conduct?

On a side note, because I simply can't resist..... in Soviet Russia, you don't break the law, the law breaks you!
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-07-07 at 08:06 PM.

OP, since you're opposed to the idea of law enforcement, do you have another solution for enforcing laws? Or do you just oppose the entire idea of laws?

I'm assuming you're opposed to the idea of law enforcement because your comments clearly indicate you're against violence, without regard to circumstance ("violence is a dumb man's solution")... but I"m assuming you're not so stupid as to believe every instance where the law is violated can be resolved in a way that enforces the law without any violence whatsoever. Therefore, the only options left are that you believe you have a solution beyond police officers or similar methods of law enforcement that will nevertheless ensure the law is upheld, or you believe that laws aren't worth having/shouldn't be enforced.

Or perhaps you'd like to go back and qualify your statement about violence being a dumb man's solution? I'll agree that it should be a last resort, but to say that it's a dumb man's solution means that only those lacking in intelligence would ever use violence for any reason... and only those who are lacking in intelligence would fail to realize that sometimes, there just isn't an option. (Keep in mind that even if it takes a lack of intelligence to resort to violence in the first place, it doesn't have to be the police officer that was the one who initiated the violence.... and even non-lethal means of retaliation are still violent, so statements such "they should use tasers or non-lethal means to subdue their opponent" still mean they're resorting to violence.)

Deleted
    Will be suprised if it's going to be different than what my country does to police officers that cross the line... they get flowers and a pardon.

2 Things you need to know about power:

Those with power seek to use it
    Power corrupts

Video demonstrates both of these quite well lol.

Deleted
    Federal law trumps State law. It has always been this way. That's why we have a FEDERAL law protecting minority rights and the States aren't allowed to make their own laws to the contrary. Honestly, States are passing legal-MJ laws as a show, when enough of them pass, hopefully the government gets the picture. The fact that dealers want to forget that it's still a FEDERAL CRIME is their own damn fault.
    Have you even heard of this thing called the constitution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amendment X
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    They ammended the constitution to make prohibition of alcohol legal. The current war on drugs is unconstitutional. An illegal law is no law at all.
    Last edited by mmoc128328808c; 2012-07-07 at 09:26 PM.

Deleted
    Why are there threads about this kind of stuff? It seems to happen so much there should be a megathread or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Excessive force? Sure. Completely avoidable by... oh, I don't know ... NOT breaking the law? Yep.
    Even criminals are afforded protection from excessive use of force. It's the hallmark of a first world country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enemy of the State View Post
    Have you even heard of this thing called the constitution?
    Have you ever heard of this thing called the American civil war?

They ammended the constitution to make prohibition of alcohol legal. The current war on drugs is unconstitutional. An illegal law is no law at all.
    Which amendment disallows the war on drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I could be wrong.... but is it not absolutely illegal for a cop to remove the means to record police conduct?

On a side note, because I simply can't resist..... in Soviet Russia, you don't break the law, the law breaks you!
    No, I remember a recent thread here where it was stated that it is illegal to record american police officers without their knowledge and a man who had done so was facing serious jail time

Edit:
    http://www.dvafoto.com/2010/06/three...ivity-illegal/

According to this its only Illinois, Maryland and Massachusetts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    No, I remember a recent thread here where it was stated that it is illegal to record american police officers without their knowledge and a man who had done so was facing serious jail time

Edit:
    http://www.dvafoto.com/2010/06/three...ivity-illegal/

According to this its only Illinois, Maryland and Massachusetts
    Ahh.. well I was referring to things like this

http://www.policeone.com/legal/artic...taping-police/

And this quite beautifully put post in particular....

Those of us who are public officials and are entrusted with the power of the state are ultimately accountable to the public. When we exercise that power in public fora, we should not expect our actions to be shielded from public observation.