Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia

What do you know about Croatia?

Hey everyone.

So yeah, basically, i'm wondering how much people (particularly in Europe) know about my country. Just say whatever crosses your mind. Also, it'd be nice if you could specify your country.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has the Dalmatian coast, and was the source of some of the "great" Roman emperors of the late empire, including my favorite, Aurelian Restitutor Orbis Invictus. Part of Yugoslavia, it eventually broke away. Capital of Zagreb, which I've heard referred to as the "new Prague" with regards to awesome cheap tourism. Also the coolest shaped country geographically in the world.

I'm American.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Also the coolest shaped country geographically in the world.
    You can thank the Ottomans (Turks) for that. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised no one else has responded. Surely someone else on these boards knows more about Croatia than me.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm surprised no one else has responded. Surely someone else on these boards knows more about Croatia than me.
    It's one of the reasons i made this thread to be honest. I'm curious about how many people actually know it exists. A few friends of mine, along with my bro and his girlfriend, have been to the US a few times so far and a very big percentage of people have never heard of it. Though i can understand that. It seems like no one in Europe ever mentions our country either, they just know about us because it's, i assume, general knowledge to know the countries of your continent.

That saddens me quite a lot. History and geography are compulsory subjects in Croatia for at least 4 years. In history, we've mentioned pretty much all of the modern European countries except maybe Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Moldova and all the microstates and in geography we've done like 4-8 pages on EVERY European country and the important countries of other continents. This doesn't seem to be the case with the more developed, Western European, countries. Which doesn't make quite a lot of sense seeing as they're supposed to have very good education.

But yeah, i guess there isn't really any reason Croatia would ever be mentioned in American schools or everyday life.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-07-03 at 04:41 PM.

Deleted
    Honestly? Very little. I live in England and Croatia is one of those countries that has very rarely been mentioned to me. Then again, I blame the education system for forcing everyone in my high school history class to study WW1 and WW2 as 'world history' whilst neglecting to teach us about individual countries and their history.

Deleted
    Plitvice waterfalls. That's all I know about Croatia, seriously. A friend of mine went there on vacation and showed me photos, so pretty!

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even know where the country is. I know it's in the south-east part of Europe, but that's it.

Not much, I know that you have a few talented footballers (Luka Modric) and the national manager looks like a thug (Slaven Bilić.)

I knew that Zagreb was the capital and that Croatia was once one of the countries that formed the former Yugolsav Republic. Outside of that I must admit to not knowing very much.

Oh and Im originally from England but now living in Sweden.

Deleted
    Croatia? Great destination for holiday, shaped like a boomerang, and their football team is very good considering the population is rather small. That'd be all.

It's an Island and a part of greece. It's pretty small. Oh wait lol, mistook it with crete... my bad.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody knows anything about our country. 'cause there isn't much to know!
    Except for the pretty scenery and traditional meals, we pretty much suck.

---------- Post added 2012-07-03 at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    It's an Island and a part of greece. It's pretty small.
    Not sure if serious...

10+ Year Old Account
    Like others have said, all I really know about Croatia is it's a former nation of Yugoslavia. :/ I'd love to know more though!

And for what it's worth I'm American.

Edit: Just did a quick google search and holy crap Croatia is gorgeous!
    Last edited by Talokami; 2012-07-03 at 05:09 PM.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    Hmm...Croatia...Burek, cajke, Vuco i janjetina. Sounds about right, eh?

The first thing I know about Croatia is that the word sounds rough in my mouth, like the word itself is made out of rocks.

That's all I know about Croatia.

Small population 4-5 million I think, great at sports considering the size of the population, basketball and football in perticular I think, not sure about basketball though, they had a great alpine star in that woman, can't remember the name :P. Beautiful coastal areas that would be great for a vacation. I don't know much more then that tbh :P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Hm lets see what I can dig up from my memory:

Since 11th (1037?) century in a personal union with the Hungarian kingdom, shares it problems with Ottomans, competes with Venetians.

In 1848 ban Jelacic is one of the key figures in suppressing the Hungarian uprising, but Vienna keeps the Croatian parliament (sabor?) under the sway of Hungarian diet. Unlike all other nations in Hungarian part of the monarchy, Croatians keep a measure of independence and are not actively persecuted, but do not hold any significant political power either.

After WW1 Croatian representatives eventually agree to the union with Serbs and thus the kingdom of SHS is born, however this is not a happy union as all the constituent nationalities constantly bicker among themselves. Croats eventually get autonomy in 1938.

WW2 is the greatest stain on Croatian history, despite reaching autonomy, Croats quickly ally themselves with Germany when Yugoslavia is defeated. The NDH is widely considered as the most brutal of the Nazi satellites, with even Germans complaining about levels of violence, tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands of Serbs die and both nationalities are now deeply distrustful of each other.

After WW2 The strong will of J.B. Tito mends fences temporary, but after his death resurgent nationalism slowly rends Yugoslavia apart. In the ensuing wars, Croats prove to be far better in PR than Serbs and thus manage to gain the favour of western public. With western support, they build an army and eventually launch operation Storm, the largest ground operation since WW2 in Europe, hundreds of thousands of Serbs are forced to leave and Croatia is effectively a nation state now. After Franjo Tudjman looses power, the country starts becoming a democracy.

As for the present, Croatia will be joining the EU soon, a centre-left coalition has won the last elections.
    Last edited by Zoranon; 2012-07-03 at 05:12 PM. Reason: grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    The breakup of Yugoslavia?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it was part of the Habsurger Empire in medieval times, then part of Jugoslavia and after the war officially independent in the 1990s.

Today it's the new holidays hotspot of Europe with a stunning coastline and a culture we don't know much about (usually). I have no idea how the food is down there, but I hope it's good because I plan on visiting sometime in the future.

Oh and they've always had great football teams. Davor Suker anyone?
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Mirko Cro Cop birth place, capital Zagreb, has a nice Flag, it is in Europe.

That is about it.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games