Deleted

Unhappy 32GB USB 3.0 causing Explorer.exe to "stop working"

Hi MMO,

I bought a 32gb USB pen from Ariapc.co.uk not too long ago, I had it working for about 1-2 file transfers however now the USB will not even show me the files.

Whenever I plug the USB (2.0 or 3.0 port) does not matter into my PC it detects the USB just fine however when I try to right-click it or format it "Explorer.exe has stopped working" appears.

The USB Pen is: Clicky clicky

I have tried the following so far:

-Format using computer and then right-clicking
    -CMD run as admin and not admin
    -New windows user with admin access
    -2 different USB recover/format programs (1xHP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" and 1x USB Disk Storage Format Tool" (not HP aparently))
    -2 differerent PC's 1x W7 32, 1x W7 64
    -1 Macbook Pro 2012 edition
    -"SFC /Scannow" (though to my knowledge it would not do anything)
    So far nothing has worked, I've once had access to see the files but when trying to format it Explorer.exe failed again.
    -Copy files using CMD - Nothing happened after 3 hours still.
    -CMD "Chkdsk E: /r" did not work either, nothing happened.

The USB Pen was last used by a colleague who did not remove the hardware safely. (I never had any problems before)

I was considering to RMA it however it there is no issue with it I will be charged £20 (Shipping, testing and sending it back to me.) So I wanted to make sure that I have done my part of testing before.

forgot to mention: Whenever I try to use the Disk Management I can't even see the USB. It says "Connecting to Internal ....(something)

I would love to provide the Windump, however as mentioned I am currently at work but can try again when I am home tonight.

Thanks for the assistance.
    Faym3.
    Last edited by mmoc4cd4db858b; 2012-07-09 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Adding details

10+ Year Old Account
    If he didn't remove it properly when it was working then chances are it's fubar. The problems you're having fit that theory.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    If he didn't remove it properly when it was working then chances are it's fubar. The problems you're having fit that theory.
    I was afraid so, and I guess there is nothing we can do to recover it somehow? no magic button inside the pen which I can press ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayme View Post
    I was afraid so, and I guess there is nothing we can do to recover it somehow? no magic button inside the pen which I can press ?
    I believe some little .dll file can become corrupt when you unplug the USB stick when it's being accessed, which renders the thing inoperable. I'm not sure if there's a way to recover the data but it may be possible through the recovery console. You can move the files from the stick to the HDD without opening the USB in windows explorer, assuming it can access the disk.

You could also just give it a shot by accessing the command prompt then typing;

/cd X:\ (X being the USB stick's drive letter)

Then make a folder on the desktop and use that to copy the files in to;

copy *.* C:\desktop\<folder name> (assuming your HDD is the C: drive)

My DOS is rusty as hell so I may not be 100% right here.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2012-07-09 at 02:32 PM.
    My Brand!

OP, have you been able to successfully format it as of yet or are there files on it still? I had a similar problem with my external HDD and a certain file extension that my PC couldn't properly handle so every time I plugged it in and went to the certain folder it would also crash my explorer. If there are files on it perhaps there's a file with an extension your PC is having trouble loading and that may be the cause.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviat View Post
    OP, have you been able to successfully format it as of yet or are there files on it still? I had a similar problem with my external HDD and a certain file extension that my PC couldn't properly handle so every time I plugged it in and went to the certain folder it would also crash my explorer. If there are files on it perhaps there's a file with an extension your PC is having trouble loading and that may be the cause.
    @Theodon, I tried with CMD formation of the USB, I did not try to move the files. - I'll look into that.

@Deviat - The last thing that was copied onto the USB was the Battlefield 3 install folder from Origin. I have the same folder on my 1tb external HDD so I wouldn't think so. Though you never know. I actually wish I could see what was on it atleast.
    Last edited by mmoc4cd4db858b; 2012-07-09 at 05:09 PM.

Deleted
    Try opening a command window with admin and running diskpart, if that doesn't work you're screwed:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (where x is the number for the usb drive as displayed in the output from list disk, make sure you don't select the wrong disk here!)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign

Deleted
    When I enter Diskpart nothing appers at all, not even my 2 standard HDD's :O I am guessing that is bad?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayme View Post
    When I enter Diskpart nothing appers at all, not even my 2 standard HDD's :O I am guessing that is bad?
    Be sure that it's being given admin rights on the comp.
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the drive work in other computers?
    Also, unplugging it before its 'ready' rarely does anything. I've never heard of a "DLL file that gets corrupted" by doing so.