Thread: Speakers?

Speakers?

Well long story short i just added subs into my car and im loving all the bass they come with....

I was wondering if there would be a way to replicate it to a degree with computer speakers without spending a ton of money

10+ Year Old Account
    What's a ton of money?

The $400 Logitech THX 5.1 sets are pretty good.

For $199 Klipsch makes a good 2.1 system with a nice sub as well.

But none of the PC sets really satisfied me though, so I ended up buying a receiver and picking out the satellites and Subwoofer separately, and running the audio out from my PC through a Asus Xonar sound card. But that was like $1500.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Here are some pretty good starter~mid range speakers to check out.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-gaming-pc-speakers

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Here are some pretty good starter~mid range speakers to check out.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-gaming-pc-speakers
    I'm amazed they actually had something from a truly serious audio company (M-Audio) on that list. I'd personally suggest that 2.0 pair over anything else on there, and for only $150USD? They are AMAZING. Have heard them in person.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Just looked at the M-audio pair and im liking everything about them...but im a little worried that i wont get the bass that i want since it doesnt have its own dedicated subwoofer

Edit: And would i need a dedicated sound card for them to preform well?
    Last edited by ProSadFace; 2012-07-13 at 02:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most any high quality pieces of audio will perform better with a dedicated sound card.

As for the bass, really depends how much you're expecting for. The way I see it, a pair of 2.0 studio monitors can really stand up on their own, but if you're looking for that room/maybe house? shaking type of bass, you'll definitely want a dedicated subwoofer. A nice quality one from M-Audio though could be had for $450 and while it is big, you could figure out a good medium for it and the speakers and it would probably work well.

I'd say save some money to get it.

If you're in the US:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...tive-subwoofer
    http://www.samash.com/p/M-Audio_SBX1...fer_-49946307#

I've seen this sub in person too, it is fairly beastly.

I personally don't mind bass too much though, so I'd say if you live near a Sam Ash or perhaps Guitar Center, go there and listen to the studio monitors with and without the sub and see what you think.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    buy a 2nd hand surround sound stereo.

I got a 900w surround sound stereo for £80 on ebay, Best sound ever from a pc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post

900w? What's the brand? Do you know the model number? I bet it isn't "the best sound ever from a pc."

In fact, I doubt it is anything like Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Shure, Audio Technica, AKG, and the like.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post

900W says pretty much nothing about sound quality or anything. It is just a measurement of how much power the amp can put out.

Deleted
    is some average brand Aiwa seperates so not too expensive when new, tho has 5.1 optical in, 250w 2 - 3 ft main speakers, 150w centre n 2 x 150w back speakers.

Wi 2x 8 inch subs on main speakers clarity isnt important when the thing can throw shit off the desk when teh explosions come rolling in lol. Its not like it sounds crap in clarity either, it was supposed to be a decent system whe n launched so not going to be shit at its job.

Does better job than those tiny pc speakers anyways.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2012-07-13 at 03:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    900w? What's the brand? Do you know the model number? I bet it isn't "the best sound ever from a pc."

In fact, I doubt it is anything like Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Shure, Audio Technica, AKG, and the like.
    I know those are all amazing reputable companies, but since when did they make speakers...? Meh they probably do, but I doubt they're selling anywhere near as well as their headphones.

@ProSadFace, you can get a pair of monitors/speakers won't give you the sake feel of bass as the ones in your car. Don't get me wrong, the bass on monitor-type speakers is solid and thumpy and designed to work in perfect balance with the mids and highs. But it's a different kind of bass since they're driving it from an elevated position - not the same thing as a dedicated sub taking care of the 5hz-200hz frequences and driving it along the floor, vibrating through your body and causing unwarranted erectio--sorry lost my chain of thought there.

If you're looking for more "PC" oriented speakers, Klipsch Promedia and Corsair SP2500 are the top choices. There's also a LOT of stuff from Logitech and Creative - but many people agree that those speakers are in a lower league and just don't compare. For more monitors/bookshelves there's quite a few - Adam, M-Audio, Samson, etc etc Deltrus would know more about those (the studio monitor-loving prick <3).
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I just purchased (About a month ago) Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media. OMG amazing. I have NOT even turned up the volume past 50%, and the bass stays around 20% or it shakes my PC off my desk. And I do not have a dedicated sound card. I LOVE them.

Aveline's amazing work!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I forgot about the soundcard - remember that your speakers can only, at best, put out what you're feeding into them. And compared to most discrete soundcards, onboard sound is garbage especially if you get into higher-end speakers/monitors.

You can get an Asus Xonar series (DX/DG) for as little as $30-70 and that'll pretty much set you with a sound source worthy of good speakers/headphones.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    personally liking the TEUFEL speakers, im a fan of the company since 4 years now and always perfect sound! Friends of mine work as DJ's and they also say that the Sound is amazing!