Thread: Ipad or Iphone?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    did i imply it? or was the "short mans" syndrome i brought up, getting the best of you?

being honest with yerself is the first step!

windows folks buy androids, and jump at the chance to bash apple products. i feel bad that i had to explain that to you. most folks can put that together on their own.

paying attention is awesome......much better than "HAI GUYZ WATS GOIN ON HUR"

The next year will be an interesting one for the fight between google and apple! Personally im on the Google side.

Back to the OP. Get an Iphone, unless you are going to be doing copious amounts of movie/series/anime watching on the thing.

i picked em up, played with em. not impressed over iphone.

but then again, in your world you know better!

the winning medal is yours sir.

you have won the "coke vs pepsi" debate, we can now close the polls, ill give apple a call and tell em to stop making stuffs, coz fadingtofail found something better, and theres no point in making something inferior and charging more for it!

i love the internet.

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but as somebody who sells phones and tablets and is a massive geek here is my take on the whole situation.

If you are going to get an iPhone get an iPad also. The products work extremely well together and will do everything you want them to do. The iOS series of products are extremely easy to use. I've had grandparents pick up an iPhone or iPad and instantly know how to navigate the device. The devices are very hard to mess up by pressing a wrong button. Apple has pretty much everything tied down, and so you are living in Apples little utopia. It however isnt a bad uptopia. The iOS devices have extremely high quality parts used to develop the products and it shows. The camera is still the best camera on a phone I have ever used, and this includes the Galaxy S3 which is currently my day to day device. The resolution on the screens are also much higher than any android device on the market. It isnt as bright as a Galaxy series device, but it still is much clearer. The downside to the iPhone is that it is very small compared to android phones. I personally do not mind it, because I like to be able to do everything with just one hand quickly and easily (thats what she said?). One last upside to iPhones is how much they get updates to their OS. Because apple only makes one phone with one OS they are able to update your phone for quite some time after you purchase it. If you buy an iPhone 4s now, chances are 3 to 4 years down the road it will still be getting the latest OS updates right along with the iPhone 5, and beyond. Yes, it might not have every single little last feature but it will have most of them.

Now for android devices there is an extremely large variety of devices on the market. If you are going to buy an android device do yourself a favor and get something thats up to date. Don't walk into the store and go "whats the free phone?" The LG Optimus is not going to do anything for you. If you want battery life and have verizon grab yourself a Droid Razer Maxx. If you want stock android, and want the ability to update your OS on a timely basis go with a Galaxy Nexus device. If you want simplicity go with The Galaxy S3, this phone is about as close to an iPhone as possible on the Android side. If you are looking for an android phone that feels sturdy, go with an HTC branded phone. Android phones have much larger screens than iphones because they do not match the resolution that the retina display can put out on the iphones small 3.5 inch display. There is also the problem of updates. Unlike the Apple who cut massive deals with the providers it makes their phone for in order to be in control of updates to the phone, android phones have to go through many loops to get an update. First google has to release the code, at this point the phone maker such as Samsung has to take the code and skin it to look the way they want, then after this they have to talk to the phone provider such as Sprint, after sprint approves it they can then release the update. Sometimes these updates might even come in waves, where only very limited people get them at once. Yes I know the Nexus devices as I mentioned before are better at getting updates, but even those may only get 1 MAYBE 2 updates if youre lucky. From the time LAST YEARS android OS came out till now, Samsung has now just finally put out their upgrade to the Galaxy S2 which was their biggest selling phone until about 2 weeks ago.

TL;DR

If you want a phone, that is reliable, works the way you want, and will continue to work without many hiccups if at all go with an iOS device, and I always suggest getting the latest one possible if you are able to afford it.

If you want a phone which you can tinker with because you are nerdy, you wont mind not getting updates to your OS unless you root it, and even then you cant be sure your phone will be updated to anything beyond what you are buying today, but you dont want to live in Apples uptopia world. Then go with an Android phone, and like stated with the iOS devices, always get something that is current. Even the Droid RAZER phones are no longer current, they most likely will never see Jellybean. Get something like a Galaxy Nexus, or Galaxy S3 or HTC One series phone.

I know my post kind of made it sound negative toward Android, but there are plus and minus sides to both devices, you just have to figure out whats best for YOURSELF and not what everybody else is saying. If you listen to the person at the store, they are probably just going to sell you whatever device either gets them the most commission at the time, or gets you out of the store the fastest, which would probably be whatever device they are currently using because then they can set it up very easily.

They are both very capable operating systems, just really look before you just run in and grab something because its on special sale that day.

Hope this helps, please feel free to PM me if you have any personal questions, I am a certified Sprint PCS Tech, and was a manager of a Radio Shack for 6 years before this.
    Custom signature requests: CLOSED | PLEASE DO NOT PM ME FOR REQUESTS!

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    I have an offline playlist on Spotify too but it isn't very big, I change it frequently to whatever music I'm into at that period of time, so I never have a huge amount of songs on my playlist.

Also I personally prefer iPhones 4S design to say, the Galaxy S3. I don't even use a case for my iPhone, just because I love its design. But again, that's personal taste.

For the way you use your phone, I understand you need a lot of space. I'm starting to think this topic has turned silly now, because at the end of the day, you should buy the phone that meets your needs, you like the design and OS off etc... no one can tell you what you like. You have to decide yourself.
    Agreed - it is almost completely subjective. While hardware specs might be different, that isn't what sells phones. And thank you for the intelligent discussion here. Seems like it's hard to get around here.

I never liked the 4S design. I've said this a few times. It just never appealed to my aesthetic tastes. That said, the biggest turn off for me - outside of the iOS... was it's small size. But that is purely subjective, and I fully admit that. To be honest - I am biased against apple, and will probably never own another apple product. I hope the iPhone 5 will be revolutionary. I hope it's the first quadcore LTE phone - because that means that android will finally cross that hurdle very, very soon. But lately I question Apple's capability to be revolutionary. I hoped to see something amazing from iOS 6, and... that failed. I truly am excited for the announcement of the new iDevice. Odds are it won't even come close to sparking my desire to jump... but it might mark a pretty significant leap.

HOWEVER! The one thing I like about the iPhones - and this is simply because of their popularity... the best looking cases come out for them. I am immensely jealous of those silly gameboy cases that people are rocking around my work of late.
    'Cause what the world needs now
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, just NEVER EVER drop it or you wasted your money. I have an LG Android and all I can say is its better than any Iphone I had previously. But hey its up to the user really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefthandpath View Post
    olympic sprinter "A" gets the gold.

olympic sprinter "B" gets the silver.......by milliseconds.......
    That's not anywhere near an accurate representation of the comparison. A quad core device like the S3 has _actual_ multitasking, not the "multitasking" that has come with all previous android devices and all current iPhone devices. That's because the processor is vastly more powerful and can handle it. The options that opens up are staggering. It's not a comparison of opinion when talking about hardware power.

you have won the "coke vs pepsi" debate, we can now close the polls, ill give apple a call and tell em to stop making stuffs, coz fadingtofail found something better, and theres no point in making something inferior and charging more for it!

i love the internet.
    wow...

Makes me wish there was an ignore function on these forums. Try to actually talk about your device and not just mindlessly flame and bash, okay? But that wouldn't fit into your world where iPhone is always better and anyone who prefers android is obviously a mentally deficient reject, would it? See I can play your game. But... I'm done with it.

You are giving iPhone users a bad name. Please, go away and let the adults talk.

And Taubut...
    Really? I found the S3 to be a bit dim. Camera wise... eh, apples to oranges. I've taken just as good photo's with my S3 as I have with the 4S. But I accept that the 4S camera is probably better. Just not for my limited usage =) Other than that - I think you are being overly negative towards android. But I acknowledge many of your complaints! I came from an HTC Thunderbolt to the S3... talk about a poor, forgotten phone. Though now that I upgraded from the T-Bolt, I'm sure it'll get ICS tomorrow.

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 01:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    Lol, just NEVER EVER drop it or you wasted your money. I have an LG Android and all I can say is its better than any Iphone I had previously. But hey its up to the user really.
    Eh, drop any phone the wrong way and it'll break. Some phones are more durable than others... but I've seen just as many shattered iPhones as I have shattered androids.

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 01:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    That's not anywhere near an accurate representation of the comparison. A quad core device like the S3 has _actual_ multitasking, not the "multitasking" that has come with all previous android devices and all current iPhone devices. That's because the processor is vastly more powerful and can handle it. The options that opens up are staggering. It's not a comparison of opinion when talking about hardware power.
    Thank you.
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

iphone
    10char
    “I’m tired of being crushed under the weight of greedy men who believe in nothing.” - Jax Teller

fine. let me put it in little bite sized points of logic, since seeing the forest through the trees is something you cant do, or are just refusing to on this subject:

olympic sprinter "A" gets the gold.

olympic sprinter "B" gets the silver.......by milliseconds.......

fadingtofail then exclaims "MAN THAT SPRINTER B SUXORZ, LOLOLOLOL".

"better". im glad were not using subjective words, or making distinctions so fine that the normal human being would NEVER notice.

i bet yer one of those guys that talks about "how that tv is better than the other tv coz 'the blacks are so black duuuuuude"

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 01:03 AM ----------

id also like to point out that on my 64g ipone 4s, i have over 40gigs of music on it. but im glad to hear that someone else out there thinks we only have 32g. misinfo is awesome times!
    lol?
    If the S3 was sprinter A, and the Iphone 4S was sprinter B. Sprinter A would overlap sprinter B before the race was over. The fact that you spent probably 350+ on an iphone4s w/ 64 gigs WITH a plan is a bit sad. The Iphone 4S doesn't even have 4g. Yes, I know it says it does. But it isn't. It has a sped up 3G provided by AT&T.
    IPhone 4S is literally the only smartphone on the market without 4G. Anyone who buys an Iphone4S is just uninformed or...

S3 has 2gigs of ram vs Iphone4S's 512MB (this is a 400% increase in RAM), a Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9 or 1.5 GHz dual-core Krait (either way over double the power of Iphone4s), a much higher screen resolution, a bigger screen, and its actually a 4G phone. It has up to 64GB internal storage WITH a MicroSD slot for up to an additional 64GB(or will soon). For a total of 128GB (96GB in the present).
    It has up to 590Hour battery life versus Iphone4S's 200 Hours. Also, thanks to Android it supports Java, and Flash, unlike the Iphone 4S.
    Even with all this extra stuff it is thinner than an Iphone.

And a bunch of other things.

oh, and it's cheaper than the Iphone 4S. lol

S3 is miles ahead in every department. To compare the two is just silly.
    Last edited by Echelonl; 2012-07-13 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Storage isn't that important to everyone though. My iPhone is 16GB and I still have 13GB space on it (and yes, I have a load of Apps and music on it). Being able to have 128GB space might be important to some (I don't know who), but 32GB is more than enough space for a smartphone to be honest. As I said I haven't even filled my 16GB, wouldn't know what to put on it to fill it...
    I can't see you could call this "loads" of music.

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 10:57 PM ----------

This isn't Coke vs. Pepsi, it's more like comparing a BMW 335i to a Toyota Camry. Sure, the Camry will basically do whatever you need, but the BMW is better at basically everything.

i love the internet.
    Your posts are so frustrating to read and do nothing but justify the disdain toward Apple users. So far you've completely ignored any hardware argument or pretended it was meaningless and reply with comments like "you have won the "coke vs pepsi" debate"; you're contributing nothing to the discussion because you're refusing to acknowledge anyone else's opinions/evidence as anything but "apple haters". If you responded to peoples points without resorting to sarcasm and name calling then you may be taken seriously.

Facts are that Android OS is far more customisable than an iPhone without requiring any jailbreaking. Now that doesn't mean Android is better, simply that you have more options on Android; some people may not care about the customisation and that's fine because they don't have to use it as it runs perfectly fine stock. So we have 2 OS's, both easy to use, one provides the option to make use excellent customisation/tweaking ability without jailbreaking or anything illegal. But guess what, none of that even matters because as you said, it's the user experience that matters - if you prefer the look/feel of iOS then by all means use it, if you prefer Android's look/feel then please go ahead and use it.

What isn't subjective however is hardware differences. Android OS is on an irrefutably larger list of devices giving the user freedom to select the device that's perfect for their needs - power, storage, screen size etc. Furthermore, you get considerably better performance from a similarly priced Android device than Apple.

In terms of what each device is capable of at stock (Apple or Android devices) at a specific price point, Android comes out on top 99% of the time.
    In terms of which device is a more enjoyable experience for the user, that will always be subjective, Android just offers more options.

As for the comments regarding Androids slowing down after relatively little use, unless you've tried an extensive number of different android devices then that statement is utterly ridiculous/stupid. I've had the opposite experience, my Android never slowed down whereas my iPhone has, but I certainly won't go on to say that I dislike iPhones because they ALL slow down after little use seeing as I haven't tried all the different models. It's even more silly to apply that to Android devices given how vast a range they offer.

*edit*
    bottom line is, a lot of you apple haters' main argument is "dont buy that apple pos, you cant mess around with it"!
    Just because you feel that customisation isn't important, it doesn't mean that others wouldn't appreciate it. Also, this started as a device recommendation thread, you've somehow managed to turn this into a iOS/Android war because you're incapable of accepting that some people have different opinions/needs.
    Last edited by Schmiggy; 2012-07-13 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mape1992 View Post
    Buy Android stuff. The iOS stuff is overpriced and you can't really mess around with it, as you can with an Android device
    My suggestion is buy iOS stuff. The Android stuff is overpriced and underfunctional, you will find yourself doing more with an iOS device.

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 07:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Echelonl View Post
    S3 is miles ahead in every department. To compare the two is just silly.
    Yeah - if I want a pocket computer - S3 hands down.

If I want a PHONE - iPhone 4S hands down.

Spend a year on the SII, and as a phone it is a pita - as a toy it is amazing to fiddle with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I just recently got my iPhone 4s and I am loving it. The size of it and the functionality is really nice especially with the good graphics it's got. My dad has an android, I played around with it to see if I should get one but I didn't like it. It felt clunky to me. I also have the iPad 2 (not the new one) and it is really nice too although I regret getting mine because I got it right before the new iPad 2 came out which has better graphics I believe. And to all the people who are saying get better and get cheaper than the iPad 2, there really is nothing better. At that point you're only getting cheaper and crappier. Going to go straight on with my opinion and say there is nothing better than the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s in terms of smartphones/tablets (SO FAR). Apple has my vote. <_<

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    My suggestion is buy iOS stuff. The Android stuff is overpriced and underfunctional, you will find yourself doing more with an iOS device.

Spend a year on the SII, and as a phone it is a pita - as a toy it is amazing to fiddle with.
    You've said that you'd prefer an iPhone as a phone, but you haven't really given any reason why - this thread isn't supposed to be an iPhone/Android war, it's supposed to provide insight for the OP to decide on what to do.

Not to mention in that post you've completely ignored any other Android devices and settled on the iPhone 4s based on your experience with an S2?

Also that first line of yours is absurd - just because you said something is one way, doesn't mean it actually is; so far people have provided irrefutable evidence that Android devices are much better value for money by providing better performance and considerably more options in the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    You've said that you'd prefer an iPhone as a phone, but you haven't really given any reason why - this thread isn't supposed to be an iPhone/Android war, it's supposed to provide insight for the OP to decide on what to do.
    For a phone - you want simple, predictable and easy. Android is none of that.

so far people have provided irrefutable evidence that Android devices are much better value for money by providing better performance and considerably more options in the OS.
    And those are reasons to choose a desktop computer, and exactly the wrong goals for a phone.

Android is the linux of phones and iOS is the OSX of phones.

The very reason I hate OSX on a desktop (inflexible etc) are the very reasons that iOS makes a great phone.

Now - for the iPad, that is a different story...

Speaking for me personally, I can't agree with that. I found the Android to be far more user-friendly/intuitive/easy than the iOS; by slimming down the OS and reducing the options making it "simpler", they unintentionally made it harder for some of us. A lot of PC users coming from Windows have developed a series of expectations, some of that is customisation, and some of it is where you might expect to find something. For me, when trying to find a setting or a feature on an iPhone, I go through similar processes as I would on a PC and while that almost always works for Android, it doesn't for Apple either because that option/setting/feature doesn't exist, or because it's not where I would expect to find it. Anyway you're right in your summary of what most users want, however your analysis that Android isn't simple, predictable, or easy is your opinion.

And those are reasons to choose a desktop computer, and exactly the wrong goals for a phone.
    My only issue with this is that what people use a phone for today is different for what they used it for in the past and who knows what they may be used for in the future. Better hardware can mean better multitasking, better graphics in games, larger storage options etc so while you may not have use for any of that, there is definitely a market for it.

P.S Reading that it comes across as a little hostile, and just to be clear that's not my intention!

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 07:16 AM ----------

that makes no fucking sense? the S3 is a superior phone than the Iphone. They are both phones. You are basically saying the S3 is too good to be a phone lol. I can't discuss this with people like you. Hell, the Iphone 4 dropped calls ALL the time and they had to go fix it. Even the s2 was a superior phone than the Iphone4. And the S3 slaps the S2 in the face with its superiority. You are just being silly.

There is not a single thing the Iphone trumps the S3 on.

There's only one reason that people buy I-phones today.

To be trendy. This is thanks to Apple's genius marketing.
    Last edited by Echelonl; 2012-07-13 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    That's not anywhere near an accurate representation of the comparison. A quad core device like the S3 has _actual_ multitasking, not the "multitasking" that has come with all previous android devices and all current iPhone devices.
    That's something very annoying on the current iOS devices. They are supposed to have multitasking, but when you open a few apps at the same time, it's starts pausing the background apps.

Android is the linux of phones and iOS is the OSX of phones.

The very reason I hate OSX on a desktop (inflexible etc) are the very reasons that iOS makes a great phone.

Now - for the iPad, that is a different story...

But.... except my ancient Droid 1... all my android phones have been exactly that as a phone. Simple... predictable... and easy. And reliable. Once again, I have to exclude my Droid 1 - because when I first got it, it was okay. But it was already an old phone by then. Older than the 3GS is now. And I had less problems than many 3GS users have today. With Icecream Sandwich... it's even easier.

But you are correct, Android is the Linux of phones. Because... it runs on a Linux shell. But it's just as easy to use.

One thing I find kinda funny... and I doubt anyone on here has had this problem... but a lot of times customers come in with an iPhone and have no idea how to get on the web. Whoever sold them the phone should have taught them that the browser name was Safari, yes. But that they have to use the brand name rather than "Browser" or "Internet" or "Web" confuses folk. Especially older folk. That isn't a question of quality or anything... just something I've noticed (as I have to show on average two people a week how to use the web on an iPhone.)

Beyond that - I do agree. An iPhone is very easy to use. Everything is right there. Of course the largest difference is that all the apps are right on the homescreen in an ugly orgy of pixels that can be swapped around but never really made to look neat, while an android user generally has to hit an App drawer. Looking around... it is just as easy to do everything on an android. People just might need to hit an extra button on a couple of things (pulling up the menu button, hitting settings... rather than just hitting settings).
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.