Deleted

Improving Fraps Fps

Hello guys. Once again, here I am asking for your help. I'll try to be as quick as possible.

A year ago, I did a couple of Wow videos using Fraps to get the footage. At the time, I recorded with fraps using "Full size" on a 1920x1080p screen resolution and 30 fps. Now, I am trying once again to do a couple of Wow videos for fun, but I am having problems with Fraps fps's. I am using the exact same computer (laptop) but now I can only get a smooth video with decent fps's using 30 fps (the same as before) but with "Half-size" recording.

Since the computer is the same, I don't get why I am having trouble recording in "Full-size".

Sorry for all the trouble and thanks for your time guys. =)

You were probably in a much less stressful area graphics/processor wise the last time you recorded.

What are your system specs?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Hey glo, thanks for the answer. In that matter, you are unfortunately wrong. I did videos both in 10/25 man raids, world pvp and in battlegrounds. At the moment I am only trying to record in battlegrounds.

My system specs are:
    Processor - Intel Core i7 1.6 GHz
    Ram - 6Gb DDR3
    Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU

As I said I don't really think it's about the hardware, actually I am pretty sure it isn't. Because, as I said, I recorded videos in all kind of situations and it worked perfectly fine. =)
    Last edited by mmoc321e15a9d0; 2012-07-15 at 02:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suneca View Post
    Processor - Intel Core i7 1.6 GHz
    1.6??! Do you mean 2.6/3.6/4.6? - Try turning down some of your settings.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Deleted
    Processor Intel Core i7-720QM
    Processor clock speed 1.6GHz

Yes, 1.6.

HDD's get slower the more you use them and the fuller it is. I bet that is your problem as laptop HDD's aren't really that fast to begin with.

Clearing it up to below half full and then defragging would help. Or getting not just any but a fast external disc, preferably USB3 or eSATA model.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    I bet that is your problem as laptop HDD's aren't really that fast to begin with.
    All you would ever need for full-size recording is like 32MB/s writing speed. Any 7200RPM laptop HDD can do that.

If it is indeed the HDD that is the problem, it is very easy to check so. Because fraps is going to be saving the stuff to your RAM. Filling it up very quickly making the computer slow and eventually throttling it because there is no more room to save anything.
    Check if the RAM is in use. If it is not, the HDD isn't the issue.

Anyways, on the CPU, it turbo clocks to 2.8.
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2012-07-15 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    All you would ever need for full-size recording is like 32MB/s writing speed. Any 7200RPM laptop HDD can do that.
    1080p video recording with fraps requires about 40-50MB/s write speed at 30fps, and HDDs get slower when they're nearly full and/or fragmented. Even 7200RPM discs are slower at the end and throughput is about half of the beginning of the disc. That is purely a matter of physics because the tracks are shorter in the middle of the disc and more revolutions around the disc are required to access the same amount of data.

Cheap 7200RPM disc has about 90MB/s throughput at the start of the disc and it can drop down to 40's in the end which is already too slow for 1080p capture. 5400RPM discs that are common in laptops are much worse starting at 60-80MB/s and going down from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    If it is indeed the HDD that is the problem, it is very easy to check so. Because fraps is going to be saving the stuff to your RAM. Filling it up very quickly making the computer slow and eventually throttling it because there is no more room to save anything.
    Ehhm... My average recordings of Madness of Deathwing were around 45-50GB. I'd like to see a home computer that can save it to RAM. No. Fraps uses very little RAM while it's running, and you're rambling something completely irrelevant.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-07-15 at 01:33 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Ehhm... My average recordings of Madness of Deathwing were around 45-50GB. I'd like to see a home computer that can save it to RAM. No. Fraps uses very little RAM while it's running, and you're rambling something completely irrelevant.
    Read it again my man. I said that fraps is going to save to RAM what the HDD can no longer handle. It has to leave the data somewhere.
    And once the RAM can't handle it anymore things go wrong. Not everything goes to RAM. It still keeps saving to the HDD. But instead of going directly to the HDD it goes like Fraps >/> RAM > HDD. Instead of Fraps > HDD.

So i did a little digging into the internet, and i indeed turn out to be wrong with the data rates.

I got you this:

Thats 60MB/s for no RGB. That is alot to take for a laptop and you might want to tell us what your HDD is currently looking like.
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2012-07-15 at 01:54 PM.

Are you using the 64bit client? I've been unsubed for a while now but there used to be some bug with the 64bit client and fraps which caused the files to be twice as big over the same amount of time. So you required double the write speed you would normally need.