Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    I'm always down with discussing music and giving recommendations. We used to have organized listen-alongs in the first chat thread with different types of music, that could be cool to get running again. I'm sure both Nutshell and Zefie would agree.
    That sounds awesome, the only issue is that I'm not really quite sure what I do or don't like, as in I can't explain it but its more of a "feel" I guess I get when I listen to a song, which means I can listen to a lot of different genres.

But I always love to listen to new stuff and get more new bands that I like.

But now I must sleep, g'night all you LoL'ers!

Brotip:
    Tried it, I get smoked out 7/10 of the times.

Deleted
    The issue I see with calling them sub-genres of dubstep is that while they might have stuff in common with dubstep, dubstep itself is too distinguished and specific of a genre to ever encompass tons of mini-genres. Rather than differentiating this and this from something like this, it all falls under the flag "dubstep" - even though they sound nothing alike. The term "dubstep" is much like other broad genres pretty much meaningless outside of categorizing music. The word does tell you about the structure of the music, but it says nothing about the sound, the tempo or anything else. There's no rules set to control how it sounds, and it shows more in electronic music than it does in regular geeh-tar music (pretty much entirely because of the usage of DAWs over the by comparison incredibly limited regular instruments.

Luckily however, there are very few albums that are limited to only a single genre. The James Blake song I linked for example, could be labeled with "dubstep" just as well as just "electronic", "post-dubstep" and "uk garage". I see the term "chillstep" being tossed around a whole lot, and I really don't mind. I won't ever call it a proper genre, but it does help filter out and isolate a very similar-sounding type of music. Which is what genres pretty much are, anyway.
    I had no idea the first song you linked was dubstep.

And I just used the term chillstep because it's the way it sounds. Like I said, I'm not good at these genres and music as a whole. I just use chilstep to differentiate dubstep from chillstep, but then again, I don't know how "normal" dubstep should sound like so I guess I fail a bit in there.

I don't know, what I said is very confusing and not what I, probably, want to say, but I do understand, a lot better than before, what you were trying to say that chillstep isn't a sub genre.

Night Joy!

15+ Year Old Account
    +19

I usually don't play AD carries, but when we duo queue that's all we play. Allows us to not have to rely on others, we can simply dominate our lane and move on.

My normal role is jungle, with Amumu being my favorite. I also like to top quite a bit.... Nasus, GP, Teemo, and been wanting to try Irelia.

Mid is my third strongest role, with preferring Vlad and Veigar. Also wanting to try Akali and kennen.

ADC is my fourth role, I love Ashe and Trist, especially with raka for mana batteriez.

I don't support. I've tried. I'm horrible.

edit - yes, I'm continuing to speak about League because I know nothing of DOTA2.

10+ Year Old Account
    + 20

Night Joy.

10+ Year Old Account
    + 21

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account

+21

Dota LoL.

Night Joy.
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

Deleted
    My main role is ad carry, I specially love to play Vayne, my favourite champion of all times, another ad carry that I also enjoy playing is Kog'maw, Tristana and Ashe.

My second role is mid, actually I think my strongest rule is mid because I like how it works, I farm very passively, I rarely poke anyone, but I get a lot of gold because I farm, unlike a lot of people, so when jungler comes it's almost a "free" kill. The champions I like to play in mid are Ahri, Cassiopeia, Kata, Kar, Kennen(a lot), Lux some times, Ryze, Vlad, TF, Xerath and some times Veigar.

I jungle some times too, but when I jungle I usually go with Shyvana or Mundo, I don't have many junglers, so meh.

I support too, but I kinda like it, because I some times need to make the other ad carry fear our lane, and I like that.

Top, the snowballing lane, as I call it, is a lane that I hate to play on. The snowball concept in it is very strong and I hate the entire snowball concept, that's why I prefer to play bot or mid, if you die once or twice, it's kinda okay, but in top dying once will result in a snowball and I hate that. :/

+ 22

I play all roles well, my best would have to be bruiser/fighter due to how much I play Rengar. I love playing support Taric/Alistar/Soraka/Fiddle and sometimes Shaco.

Deleted
    I prefer to play ad carry out of all roles, but I love to play APs often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    +22

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I had no idea the first song you linked was dubstep.

And I just used the term chillstep because it's the way it sounds. Like I said, I'm not good at these genres and music as a whole. I just use chilstep to differentiate dubstep from chillstep, but then again, I don't know how "normal" dubstep should sound like so I guess I fail a bit in there.

I don't know, what I said is very confusing and not what I, probably, want to say, but I do understand, a lot better than before, what you were trying to say that chillstep isn't a sub genre.
    It's an interesting discussion. The only thing that makes a genre a genre is a general agreement of most people. It's a purely conventional matter, genres were invented and are used as means to find (or avoid!) more music that is similar, either in sound or in structure. If you say that "chillstep" is a genre, you would not be wrong. Most people would probably disagree with you, but that doesn't mean there aren't probably hundreds of thousands of people agreeing with you. New genres erupt all the time (after dubstep surfaced around 2003-2004, we've seen stuff like witch house, seapunk, trap, IDM/rave revival, et cetera). If you're interested, here's a rather short but informative piece: http://www.quora.com/Electronic-Musi...ig-in-2012-Why

+24

Deleted
    Hello again, Pud'n.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pud'n View Post
    +22

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
    and still wrong

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Hey hey Majbear.

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    and still wrong
    No house with such a badass motto can ever be wrong. Ever.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-10-12 at 01:38 AM.

Deleted
    It's an interesting discussion. The only thing that makes a genre a genre is a general agreement of most people. It's a purely conventional matter, genres were invented and are used as means to find (or avoid!) more music that is similar, either in sound or in structure. If you say that "chillstep" is a genre, you would not be wrong. Most people would probably disagree with you, but that doesn't mean there aren't probably hundreds of thousands of people agreeing with you. New genres erupt all the time (after dubstep surfaced around 2003-2004, we've seen stuff like witch house, seapunk, trap, IDM/rave revival, et cetera). If you're interested, here's a rather short but informative piece: http://www.quora.com/Electronic-Musi...ig-in-2012-Why

+24
    Well, if only I could understand what that person wrote....

I just use a name to tell what kind of song I am listening to. Assuming a song is dubstep and a bit chilled, I think I would call chillstep, because it's easier to make other people understand what kind of dubstep they are listening too, even though it's still, essentially, dubstep.

Also, I don't know if I got this right or not, but one thing I understanded is that there a lot of musics that are branded as chillstep, for example, but some musics that are branded as chillstep don't feel like a chillstep music. I don't know if I'm explaining this well, I doubt I am, but that's what I got more or less from that last link.

+ 25

Quote Originally Posted by Pud'n View Post
    No house with such a badass motto can ever be wrong. Ever.
    But the house was only in a dream and doesn't exist.