Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Origin servers locked

It seems like the origin servers are locked for new character creation. I will confirm it as soon as the servers are up again.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. Looks like those servers are going to start being consolidated or shut down sooner than I had thought.

Servers are up. I was able to create a new character in an origin server which I already have character, but I can not create new characters on other origin servers.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    Servers are up. I was able to create a new character in an origin server with and old character, but I can not create new characters on other origin servers.
    Seems like a good compromise. Those already on the servers aren't limited in what they can do, but they are preventing new people from starting the game on those servers and thus hampering their efforts to consolidate people in to more populated servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Seems like a good compromise. Those already on the servers aren't limited in what they can do, but they are preventing new people from starting the game on those servers and thus hampering their efforts to consolidate people in to more populated servers.

I sure hope thats what they are doing, since people will just spread out otherwise. It does make logical sense.

I am hoping that this is a sign that paid transfers will be soon. It doesn't seem right if they don't open paid transfers when they are locking the origins.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I am hoping that this is a sign that paid transfers will be soon. It doesn't seem right if they don't open paid transfers when they are locking the origins.
    We'll likely see another transfer phase or force consolidation phase before paid transfers are implemented.

Damnit, I want to consolidate my legacy!

Deleted
    As someone who wants to start playing next week, what is an "Origin" server and what other server types exist?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    As someone who wants to start playing next week, what is an "Origin" server and what other server types exist?
    Origin server refers to the servers from which people transferred to destination servers. Origin servers were put together in groups and transfers from a set group were made available for free to a single server for consolidation. These servers are now, apparently, locked to new players. This likely means that they will no longer be available at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    If you start playing next week, the only options for servers will say "Standard", "Heavy", "Very Heavy", or "Full". If you're in North America on the East Coast and you want to play PvE, go to Corellian Run. We can always use more people.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds like an interesting tactic. Is there any way to see if it is a matter of the character limit of 8 being extended to origin servers? What I'm saying is, if you already have 8 characters on a destination server, will you be restricted from creating any new characters on all of the origin servers that route there? And if you have less than 8 characters on the destination server + all of the origin servers for that destination, will you still be able to create a new character on them? Any way to check this out?

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    This sounds like an interesting tactic. Is there any way to see if it is a matter of the character limit of 8 being extended to origin servers? What I'm saying is, if you already have 8 characters on a destination server, will you be restricted from creating any new characters on all of the origin servers that route there? And if you have less than 8 characters on the destination server + all of the origin servers for that destination, will you still be able to create a new character on them? Any way to check this out?
    This seems to be the case.

I transfered all but 2 characters from an origin server. Later on when I logged in, the origin server I still had chars. on was not locked. I then deleted those chars. and the server became locked. I did not check to see if I actually was able to create new characters on my origin server before I deleted my chars, so maybe I'm wrong.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

You can create new characters on an origin server if you can log into it, i.e., if you already have (fewer than max) characters there. I just did it to make sure.

I expect that will be the next nail in the coffin, so if you like your home and you haven't alted up yet, I suggest you get cracking before another update is pushed.

Still experimenting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Origin server refers to the servers from which people transferred to destination servers. Origin servers were put together in groups and transfers from a set group were made available for free to a single server for consolidation. These servers are now, apparently, locked to new players. This likely means that they will no longer be available at some point.
    Cheers. *at least 10 characters*

This is an interesting development. It certainly is another move in the right direction to keep the populations high, except for of course those who stubbornly insist on staying on the low pop servers anyway.

I'm kinda curious if they will actually merge thee servers, or just shut them down. One of the reasons I was talking about with people on why they might do the transfers the way they did instead of just merging is so that they don't also end up merging all the toons on accounts from people who will never play again. This way, if you're playing you get moved, if you're never gonna play again, well, who cares about your toons.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    This is an interesting development. It certainly is another move in the right direction to keep the populations high, except for of course those who stubbornly insist on staying on the low pop servers anyway.

I'm kinda curious if they will actually merge thee servers, or just shut them down. One of the reasons I was talking about with people on why they might do the transfers the way they did instead of just merging is so that they don't also end up merging all the toons on accounts from people who will never play again. This way, if you're playing you get moved, if you're never gonna play again, well, who cares about your toons.
    Server mergers are a foregone conclusion, the only variable is time. Naturally they would like to bring previous players back to the game. If they left inactive accounts on dead servers or outright deleted them they would have a very small chance of getting any of those subscribers back. My guess is they hope to get all active accounts to move voluntarily and then merge the inactive accounts that remain on the origin servers.

Keep in mind that anything in your mailbox is gone when you transfer servers. So if you had mail from from one toon to another, or, for instance, any of the various goodies that BW sent to players via mail, all that would be gone.

We'll likely see emails sent out with warnings that mailbox items will be lost (unless they've a work around for that), and get deadlines for when there will be mergers. After which emails sent out telling players they've been moved and iviting them back to try out the new, populated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    Server mergers are a foregone conclusion, the only variable is time. Naturally they would like to bring previous players back to the game. If they left inactive accounts on dead servers or outright deleted them they would have a very small chance of getting any of those subscribers back. My guess is they hope to get all active accounts to move voluntarily and then merge the inactive accounts that remain on the origin servers.
    1) Free move for people that take it.
    2) Lock new people from rolling on servers
    3) Give warning to people who have not taken the move their server will shut down
    4) "shut down" said servers, move them to a back room where players can not access them accept from website to transfer existing characters off of them.
    5) Profit.

You don't need to merge servers to merge servers, and this way people who reactivate their accounts can still move their toons to play the game. Anything other than what they have already done or said they would do are merely options on the table they are considering, but not what they will do for sure, i.e. paid transfers, full mergers, unpaid/time limited transfers

For now, what this means in practice is that if free-to-15 really takes off and brings lots of new people in (I have my doubts), they'll all be dumped on your already crowded destination servers. Enjoy.

Still experimenting...