Deleted

AMD CPU Upgrade AM3

/edit: got the Phenom II 965 /case closed thanks for you help!

Hi folks!
    I was planning to upgrade my CPU this year but seeing how the prices are on peek right now and Intel monopolizing the desktop-cpu market I thought of some temporary upgrade till the situation gets better. But since there is such a giant gap between Intel and AMD (at last for gaming) in performance I don't really know what AMDs are actually viable (since they focused on completely different use with their 6+ core). I thought Phenom II 965 (or better - till 980?) was the last produced viable CPU I might want. Maybe you guys can give me some insights what AMDs are (okay-) performer for MMORPG games / HD Videos and 2 Monitor use.

My current spec:
    AMD Athlon X3 450
    MSI 870 G45 AM3
    8GB Ram
    5770 HD Radeon
    Last edited by mmocd6d7b58413; 2012-07-22 at 11:26 PM.

yes - that phenom is likely the best of them , unless you wanta total refresh of an i5 and board?

Get a Phenom II 965. Even if you upgrade the motherboard and get an Ivy Bridge CPU, you won't get much of a difference with a 5770 (except maybe in WoW).
    You need a complete upgrade if you want more.
    If you decide to go with the Phenom, get this thing and overclock it to something like 3.9-4Ghz.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-07-22 at 04:46 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for confirming! <3 you guys!

I had i7 3820 on my wishlist + new mainboard. But both didn't really get any cheaper / Intel CPU prices skyrocket since May. So I want to observe the situation longer before I invest. But since MoP and GW2 are coming out soon I want to improve my system at last a bit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Get a Phenom II 965. Even if you upgrade the motherboard and get an Ivy Bridge CPU, you won't get much of a difference with a 5770 (except maybe in WoW).
    You need a complete upgrade if you want more.
    If you decide to go with the Phenom, get this thing and overclock it to something like 3.9-4Ghz.
    This would also be my advise. But i would not overclock.. it's just not worth it (mind you, the 965 already has 3.4 GHz).

Theoretically there should be a BIOS update available to make your board AM3+ ready (aka Bulldozer). But seeing as the FX-4100 costs the same as the Phenom II 965, but performs worse...
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    This would also be my advise. But i would not overclock.. it's just not worth it (mind you, the 965 already has 3.4 GHz).
    Why not ? With the unlocked multiplier the difference between the 965 and the 980 is practically none. He can overclock it to at least 3.7 without a problem.
    As for the cooler, it's better to replace the stock cooler anyway, even if you aren't going to overclock.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Why not ? With the unlocked multiplier the difference between the 965 and the 980 is practically none. He can overclock it to at least 3.7 without a problem.
    As for the cooler, it's better to replace the stock cooler anyway, even if you aren't going to overclock.
    980 clocks higher usually than 955-970, safer bet is the 980 aswell as it is already proven @ 3.7Ghz. Truth of the matter is AMD is being decimated in performance by intel but the performance is above and beyond what we need for gaming purposes, having 40-60 playable fps is good having 120fps for no reason is a pocket burner.