Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Theres been no mention of what monitor you're using.

If you're using a TV as a monitor, bear in mind those usually require several hundred watts (more than most PCs). Also remember lights connected will also require a large amount of power.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hello Mate,

hopefully what i'm writting might be a bit of help.

When the pc shuts down right after a power cut (when connected to a UPS), it means that the UPS isn't able to supply enough power to your PC.
    Now into the math a little bit: a 1000VA UPS supplies theoretically 1000*0.6=600W (0.6 is the usual efficiency of a home UPS). Your PC is quite good and requires a bit of Power. Under normal browsing, your pc would be consuming around 300-400W. However, when running high graphical games, those consume alot of GPU power, hence drawing more power. so PC can easily reach 500-550W.
    Now, since the UPS might be a bit old, have damaged battery or unusual problems, it can't supply such power under a power cut (it's like a surge load to hold). (ie: imagine your self trying to lift a 30Kg rock under normal conditions, you might be able to. however, if someone suddenly throws that rock at you and you don't have enough strength to hold that surge, the rock will fall on the ground)

My advise for you is to get a 1200VA UPS at least (you can check apc.com, they have an online UPS time estimator.)
    the usual runtime of 1200VA under 450W load is around 10mins

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Theres been no mention of what monitor you're using.

If you're using a TV as a monitor, bear in mind those usually require several hundred watts (more than most PCs). Also remember lights connected will also require a large amount of power.
    I tested it without plugging in the LCD monitor . Same result

Does 1000VA showing on the UPS necessarily means 1000Watts ??

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arth View Post
    check my post above

Deleted
    Specifications linked earlier
    http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...e_sku=sua1000i

Output Power Capacity:
    670 Watts

I tested it without plugging in the LCD monitor . Same result

NO 1000va UPS will give about 600 watts of usable power

That last link seems to describe an output of 670 watts, so that should be sufficient given an upto 600w drain from the PC itself, give or take a bit for external peripherals.
    Sounds like something else is at fault where it simply is not holding close to its capacity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teppei83 View Post
    Now into the math a little bit: a 1000VA UPS supplies theoretically 1000*0.6=600W (0.6 is the usual efficiency of a home UPS). s
    That's not efficiency, that's power factor

volt-amps is a unit for apparent power, as opposed to real power, measured in watts, and reactive power (a.k.a. "imaginary" power), measured in volt-amps reactive (VAR).

APC's 1000 volt-amps apparent load rating runs on the assumption the equipment you're attaching to their units have a 0.67 power factor (about what a power supply with real crappy passive power factor correction would have. a good modern supply would have a power factor of 0.9 or better), meaning their unit will handle 670 watts of real power load AND 742 VARs of "imaginary" reactive load.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know that its an APC brand ups or for that matter the smart ups series. I googled
    NP 7AH/12V and the results are all links to generic ups battery replacements and none of them told which makes and models they were compatible with.

based on that I'm going to assume the op has a power supply /w active pfc and his ups don't support that and thus dies soon as the power is killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teppei83 View Post
    Hello Mate,

hopefully what i'm writting might be a bit of help.

When the pc shuts down right after a power cut (when connected to a UPS), it means that the UPS isn't able to supply enough power to your PC.
    Now into the math a little bit: a 1000VA UPS supplies theoretically 1000*0.6=600W (0.6 is the usual efficiency of a home UPS). Your PC is quite good and requires a bit of Power. Under normal browsing, your pc would be consuming around 300-400W. However, when running high graphical games, those consume alot of GPU power, hence drawing more power. so PC can easily reach 500-550W.
    Now, since the UPS might be a bit old, have damaged battery or unusual problems, it can't supply such power under a power cut (it's like a surge load to hold). (ie: imagine your self trying to lift a 30Kg rock under normal conditions, you might be able to. however, if someone suddenly throws that rock at you and you don't have enough strength to hold that surge, the rock will fall on the ground)

My advise for you is to get a 1200VA UPS at least (you can check apc.com, they have an online UPS time estimator.)
    the usual runtime of 1200VA under 450W load is around 10mins

Best Regards
    Thanks ! This explains a lot. When I called the company where I bought the UPS from they told me it should hold, I'm gonna return it to them and buy a bigger one, hopefully if they agree on returning -_-.

Thanks to all of you for trying to help.

But still anyone know why my 1000va model Invo ups can't keep the pc on ?
    First understand what a UPS does. Connects your computer directly to AC mains when not in battery backup mode. It does not clean power or protect from destructive surges. It simply connects directly to AC mains most of the time.

During rare events, when voltage drops too low, a UPS first disconnects from AC mains. Then eventually connects to the battery. Your computer works just fine during that switchover period (no power).

Now, if its battery has degraded, the UPS cannot output enough power. A UPS is made as cheaply as possible. It's battery life expectancy is typicallly three years. A UPS is typically so cheap that a new battery costs almost as much as a new UPS.

If a UPS does power cleaning, then someone has posted the manufacturer spec number that says so. Nobody will. No such number exists. Same for surge protection. UPS power from battery is some of the 'dirtiest' seen by appliances. Often so 'dirty' as to be potentially harmful to small electric motors and power strip protectors. That same 'dirty' UPS power is also clean enough for all electronics (and computers).

If a UPS battery is more than three years old, then it probably cannot perform its only useful function: temporary and 'dirty' electricity during an outage.

Most all computers (even with 600 watt or 1000 watt supplies) consume typically 200 watts and rarely more than 350 watts. A 500 watt UPS should be more than enough for one computer and monitor IF its battery is less than 3 years old.
    Last edited by westom; 2012-07-25 at 01:36 PM.