Deleted

The Thief - Do I have to use stealth?

Hey guys.

When I normally play rogue-y classes (and by that I solely mean the rogue in WoW xD) I love it, until I have to use stealth. I mean, I get some people love it, but personally I just want to go straight in and fight it out, or stay back and shoot some arrows/bullets.

When I played a rogue in WoW for the first time, I loved it for the first few levels! I loved going in and getting cool combos on my opponents. But when I hit level 10 and got Stealth, suddenly I got very mushy and couldn't kill an enemy without stealthing, and if two or more enemies got hold of me, I was dead every time.

In BWE3, I played EVERY PROFESSION, except Thief! The reason being that I hate stealth. So for launch, I think I might try it out since it's the only one I haven't played yet. However, I'm scared I might not be able to avoid using stealth, and really I wouldn't enjoy that at all.

So, is Thief a class I should try? Or will I simply have to use Stealth at some point.

tl;dr: Is stealth core to the Thief profession or can I avoid it completely?

10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer, absolutely not, but if you do want to avoid stealth i'd HIGHLY recommend putting points in acrobatics or stacking a lot of toughness/vitality on gear instead of power so you can take more hits/avoid more of them because the thiefs base stats rely on them AVOIDING damage, and stealth allows that really well, but so does dodging... and stacking defensive stats also allows you to take -some- additional damage.

Hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    I... haven't really used stealth at all on my Thief.
    You shadowstep (which is kinda like a teleport), but that's all I did 'stealth' wise..
    I think you should give it a try, there's a lot of different weapon sets. I personally loved pistol/pistol and dagger/dagger, but do have a look. Pop around in the thief thread too, if you want a more in depth explanation and some theorycrafting! =D

I hope this helped!

PS: I can't guarantee you won't fall in love with the Thief after playing it, for what you told me I think you'll probably like it.

Deleted
    Thanks for the answers guys! I think from what you've told me I'll definitely give it a try now.

Kallanna I saw you post in another thread about your common dislike of roguey classes, so if you are choosing one as a MAIN, I probably will find it hard to resist! A rogue without stealth... ah my dream is fulfilled!

And wow Durzlla that was really detailed, thank you very much. I'll certainly put your advice to good use and stock up on vitality gear come launch!

EDIT: Kallanna I might just join you on launch as a Charr Thief. Considering you're from the UK and I am from Ireland, it'd be really easy to play together it would seem.
    I'm going for Desolation home server come launch, will you be picking an EU home server or Sea of Sorrows?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Wolfbane View Post
    Hey guys.

When I normally play rogue-y classes (and by that I solely mean the rogue in WoW xD) I love it, until I have to use stealth. I mean, I get some people love it, but personally I just want to go straight in and fight it out, or stay back and shoot some arrows/bullets.

When I played a rogue in WoW for the first time, I loved it for the first few levels! I loved going in and getting cool combos on my opponents. But when I hit level 10 and got Stealth, suddenly I got very mushy and couldn't kill an enemy without stealthing, and if two or more enemies got hold of me, I was dead every time.

In BWE3, I played EVERY PROFESSION, except Thief! The reason being that I hate stealth. So for launch, I think I might try it out since it's the only one I haven't played yet. However, I'm scared I might not be able to avoid using stealth, and really I wouldn't enjoy that at all.

So, is Thief a class I should try? Or will I simply have to use Stealth at some point.

tl;dr: Is stealth core to the Thief profession or can I avoid it completely?
    after reading through your post (yes i did totally make my first comment based on the title alone, don't judge me xD) you'd totally love thief, you can totally be "combat rogue" sort of play style ifyou want, i personally brought stealth when i played but that's cause i like being all cloak and dagger and all that jazz, however i did play around with a few builds here and there where stealth wasn't even in the build, i just went Sword/pistol and shortbow and my god was that fun!!

Oh, and the core mechanics for thief are the Steal and the Initiative system (mostly the initiative system), if you've played a rogue in wow initiative will be easy to grasp it's essentially energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I ended up using stealth only to pop up the altered abilities. I didn't really use it to "sneak". I probably will at some point but for me, personally, stealth was just to gain stronger abilities on the fly.

So no, you don't have to but it doesn't hurt.

Use the profession topics next time.