Noob question on PVE Impact on WvWvW

Hey guys,

Quick question as I'm new to GW2 and interrested in gathering the right datapoints to convince my guild to switch over from WOW.

I understand that WvWvW is accesible anytime/anywhere after a character finishes tutorial and that once there you are automatically promoted to L80 with L80 gear.
    From what I understand I don't need to do any PVE to be active on WvWvW. But if I wanted to PVE too, what would my PVE experience bring to my PvP game? Is there any incentive from PvP players to PVE at all? I'm a bit surprised about why players who have access to a full L80 character with full skills and gear would feel excited to come back to PVE and level up with half of the character capabilities they are used to leverage.
    Is there really not any incentive for a player to do both PvE and PvP on a character (besides the obvious great experience of playing the game :P)

In WvW, you don't get a set of PvP gear like you would if you did SPvP. Instead you use whatever PvE gear you are currently wearing. You will have the health of a level 80 but you won't have trait points and your gear actually matters in WvW (up to level 80). They should also note that there is no difference in PvP and PvE gear other than possibly the looks(not sure on that one). The only real difference is how you acquire it. There isn't a PvP stat like in other games.

If they like to PvE, the "endgame" content is 5 man explorable dungeons and you can do those starting at level 35 which have 4 different paths each. Even though they start at level 35, you can go back to any of them with a level 80 character and they will still be challenging.

From what I understand, you don't have to PvE at all because if you WvW all the time you can eventually get everything you need. There is PvE content and PvP in the WvW maps.

If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer them as well as I can.
    Last edited by Lurker87; 2012-07-26 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks for the fast response.

I'm still a bit confused by two inputs you provide that seem contradictory:
    >> In WvW[...] you use whatever PvE gear you are currently wearing
    >> you don't have to PvE at all because if you WvW all the time you can eventually get everything you need

Do you mean that I can acquire L80 gear to use in WvW, by playing WvW? Is there a point-based system that lets me acquire gear when I play WvW? What happens to that gear when I leave the mists? Does it sit in my bags and my L3 PVE char cannot use them?

Thank you for your patience with my questions, greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelleas View Post
    Thanks for the fast response.

I'm still a bit confused by two inputs you provide that seem contradictory:
    >> In WvW[...] you use whatever PvE gear you are currently wearing
    >> you don't have to PvE at all because if you WvW all the time you can eventually get everything you need

Do you mean that I can acquire L80 gear to use in WvW, by playing WvW? Is there a point-based system that lets me acquire gear when I play WvW? What happens to that gear when I leave the mists? Does it sit in my bags and my L3 PVE char cannot use them?

Thank you for your patience with my questions, greatly appreciated!
    Anet is making WvW completely 100% viable leveling/gathering source for the dedicated PvPers that never want to touch PvE.

You will earn gold like PvE
    You will earn Gear in WvW like PvE
    Skill points etc.

Its real alternative to PvE

You are also not scaled level wise to 80, only stats in WvW and you get exp to gain levels in WvW so you can level all the way to 80. Gear drops will be equivilant to your level.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelleas View Post
    People have a chance to drop gear when you kill them. They don't drop their gear or anything in their inventory, it's just a random loot table as if you killed a mob. Then loot is scaled to your level (your real level, not your scaled up level).

There is sort of a point system. You can get badges of honor from killing players, and you can spend them at vendors to buy weapons and armor.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-07-26 at 11:45 PM.

Like Lurker said, you don't get level 80 gear in WvW. You are upscaled to level 80 and your gear you have on is scaled up too.

As far as incentive to PvE goes, to me it's a case of there definitely being too much of a good thing. I love WvW but I don't want to do it 24/7 because I would get burned out. Besides, I usually enjoy my first playthrough of the PvE part of MMOs, it's the subsequent ones that are kind of boring usually (although I don't see that problem occurring as quickly in this game.) That said, it's quite possible to level up doing nothing but WvW if you chose to do that. It wouldn't be my choice but it's certainly possible.

WvW is pvp/pve kinda like open world pvp in wow or other mmo's. They have dynamic events, skill capture, and alot of things pve offers such as crafting and gathering and so on. You have a few different currencies in WvW: Gold, karma,Hero Tokens, there are many vendors in the 4 maps of WvW that sell gear for all three currencies, also gear and other random items drop from killing players.

Quote Originally Posted by zeelic View Post
    WvW is pvp/pve kinda like open world pvp in wow or other mmo's. They have dynamic events, skill capture, and alot of things pve offers such as crafting and gathering and so on. You have a few different currencies in WvW: Gold, karma,Hero Tokens, there are many vendors in the 4 maps of WvW that sell gear for all three currencies, also gear and other random items drop from killing players.
    Yeah, I got several greens on my engi doing WvW

Gear drops in WvW. This last BWE I only made 1 new character and spend about 80% of my time in WvW. Got up to level 30 and for the most part kept gear up to date. I did end up going out and hunting down a few items off PVE karma vendors and used some of the gold I got from WvW on the AH to fill in a gap here or there but you really can spend your characters entire lifetime out in WvW if you wish. I wouldnt nessicaraly recomend going that path if for no other reason than likely burnout. There is so much to do in this game it can last a very long time if you mix it up a bit.

Who is John Galt?