Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Options for best free antivirus program.

As title says I'm currently looking to find a decent free antivirus program can anyone point me in a direction?.

I would say Avast...I personally using that one and satisfied with it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungiecord View Post
    As title says I'm currently looking to find a decent free antivirus program can anyone point me in a direction?.
    Check the numbers and tests of different options:

AV Tests > Home User (PC) > May/Jun 2012

Deleted
    I don't use an AV, but if I did I'd probably go with Avira. I have used it in the past and often recommend it to friends.

If you want proper protection and funtionality a paid verson is probably your best bet. I'd go with either BitDefender or Kaspersky.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes you might find good deals on Nod32. You can just keep buying them and renewing when it expires.

Free? Avira.
    Or you can just install nod32 and get free trial keys at nod325.com
    good luck.

If you want free, go with MSE. No nag screens like the others, it just runs silently in the background, never bothering you.
    Last edited by Dezeria; 2012-07-29 at 01:30 PM.

Id say avast myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft Security Essentials is quite decent.

10+ Year Old Account
    microsoft security essentials, not one virus sneaking by in 2 years, unlike 5-6 a year with any other program I've used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
    microsoft security essentials, not one virus sneaking by in 2 years, unlike 5-6 a year with any other program I've used.
    You can use nothing and not get a virus "sneaking by". All anti-virus does is warn you when you're about to do something stupid.

I don't use one, but if I would, I'd use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don't use one, but if I would, I'd use Microsoft Security Essentials.
    MSE is what I use and it is just as good if not better than the paid versions like Kapernsky etc.
    Whats up with you guys not using an AV? PC hipsters or?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd vouch for MSE. Back when I didn't know how to protect myself against viruses (~8yrs or so) it would regularly catch something trying to sneak its way in, or would alert me if something had planted itself on my(dad's) comp. I'd highly recommend it, I use it with every computer I have now.

Speaking as someone who makes a TON of money removing viruses from peoples machines I am all for people not using AV or using a free AV (both offer near the same amount of protection as one another.) The truth is any AV program that is free is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing.... Get a paid version, I use Kaspersky but others are just as good. Don't fall for the fools who say a free version is as good as a paid version, if that was even remotely true most computer repair shops would have revenues cut but 50-75%. If someone makes something that even they don't feel has value and should be free, why would it have any value to you.

i use avast and spybot O-O there both pretty good ive only had like 5 viruses in like 3 years and most of those were my own fault since i was trying to watch some old movie i couldnt find anywhere else and had to watch it on some shady site.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

i'd go with microsoft secrutiy essentials very good and free anti virus

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Avast!. Works well.

I've been using MSE. I like it, you don't even notice it's there.