Deleted

Thinking of buying this guitar.

Hey everyone..

Im thinking of buying a guitar, but since it's quite expencive and I dont know much about electric guitars, I was hoping to find some feedback here.

It's a PRS SE Custom 22. A shop close to me decreased its price drastically, it sounds sweet on the vids I have been checking, and it just looks sweet as well.

I dont really know what kind of information you guys might need to say if this guitar is good or not, Ill post more info if needed. I'd love to hear from somebody who actually owns one of these.

1: Do you already know how to play guitar or you're planning to learn?
    2: What kind of music do you like to listen to?
    3: What kind of music would you like to play? And how much skill would you like to achieve? How serious would you get into it?
    4: How much money are you willing to spend?

Deleted
    1: I already play acoustic guitar, and I've played a one time gig on electric. Im not great, but if it turns out I feel I really need some extra lessons, I will.
    2: I always end up back in bluesy rock, but I enjoy loads of music.
    3: Bluesy rock. I really enjoy playing 60-70 songs.
    I'd really like to get some improv going, that's my main goal. If needed, I might take up lessons again.
    4: 500 euro's, max. And that's kinda pushing it already :P

Well, I'm not an expert on choosing guitars either, but I advise you reading some reviews on the internet (but don't forget some people are biased).

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...tom/index.html

Apparently, most people are saying it's a good guitar and suits well to bluesy rock. So it might be a good deal for you. But since you already know how to play guitar, do one thing: Test it before buying it. At least where I live, music shops allow people to test their instruments. I spent an evening testing guitars until I found the right one for me, an Epiphone les paul standard. (It's also a good guitar, with good playability and decent tone (although I feel that my amp's quality is lacking...) and might also be a good choice for bluesy rock, although the tone might be too heavy, depending on what kind of stuff you want to play (gary moore / led zeppelin stuff, perfect) and it's pretty affordable)

So, all in all, test every guitar that you find interesting. Test how it plays, how easy it is to press the strings, to slide the hand down the neck, how it sounds, and, of course, how it looks. Only then make a choice. It isn't worth it to buy a guitar that you won't be satisfied with

Should be good. PRS's SE series are surprisingly well-made for being Asian factory guitars. The pickups are probably the same ceramics that get thrown in almost every asian-made lower end guitar. Pots are probably Alphas. Hardware is most likely a nameless Chinese off-brand. But build quality is really what matters and they nail that, everything else can be upgraded over time.

But really, go to a guitar store with a few spare hours and just spend a day sitting there, playing everything in your price range. A guitar could sound amazing online and have all the features you want but you never know if you'll actually like it until you play it. Certain factors like neck profile make a massive difference in the comfort and playability and its not something that you can really judge without picking up the guitar and playing it.

But really, go to a guitar store with a few spare hours and just spend a day sitting there, playing everything in your price range. A guitar could sound amazing online and have all the features you want but you never know if you'll actually like it until you play it. Certain factors like neck profile make a massive difference in the comfort and playability and its not something that you can really judge without picking up the guitar and playing it.
    Torethyr's words are words of wisdom, couldnt have said it better myself.
    Fanboy (Fanboi): A Term used when someone disagrees with you on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate your counterpoint back so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming you into silence and thus them winning through dominance.

Dunno about that model, but the Paul Reed Smiths are somewhat high-end as far as I know. If this is your first axe, you might want to check out a Squire (Fender Stratocaster clone). You can get a new one for 100 Euro. They are usually really cheap but excellent starter guitars.

Or if you like the style of the Gibson Les Paul, the Epiphones are also decent for their price (also about 100 euro for a new one).

Honestly, shelling out 450 bucks for your first axe seems a bit much, especially since you will wanna buy a little amp and some effect pedals and all that stuff. It adds up. That's why I would recommend getting one of these clones to get started, and upgrading further down the line.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Dunno about that model, but the Paul Reed Smiths are somewhat high-end as far as I know. If this is your first axe, you might want to check out a Squire (Fender Stratocaster clone). You can get a new one for 100 Euro. They are usually really cheap but excellent starter guitars.

Or if you like the style of the Gibson Les Paul, the Epiphones are also decent for their price (also about 100 euro for a new one).

Honestly, shelling out 450 bucks for your first axe seems a bit much, especially since you will wanna buy a little amp and some effect pedals and all that stuff. It adds up. That's why I would recommend getting one of these clones to get started, and upgrading further down the line.
    I have to disagree with you. Since it's not his first axe, but the first electric one, then he's already into the whole music stuff, and so he's probably interested in something a bit fancier. It would make sense if he was going to test if guitar was his thing, but since he already did that, it doesn't make sense to spend a 100 euros on a guitar and then 450 down the road.

Besides that, and this is just my personal view, different people, different methods, obviously, I just wouldn't feel right with a less-than-average guitar. I know some people get motivation from the fact that they'd promise themselves a new guitar if they improved their skills. But I don't know...I don't think I'd be able to play on a guitar that makes it hard for my fingers to press down a string, like those really crappy classical guitars, or really bad tone, sustain, etc. But each to his own.

Squires are somewhat decent, though. I mean, compared to some guitars that you can find at supermarkets that cost the same...and epiphones are awesome, although I'd like to know where you can get one for 100 euro. Mine was far more expensive, about 400

PRS SE models are fairly well regarded. Go and actually play it before you buy it. And play it unplugged as well... as you already know from being an acoustic player, how a guitar actually feels to you is of the highest priority.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would personally find take your time and find a cheap, slightly used guitar

Deleted
    thanks for the advice everyone.

Ofcourse Ill play it before I buy it, and since I know the store managers a bit, Ill talk to them as well. Im fairly sure they wont rip me off since Im a bit of a regular costumer.

Im just wondering what to look for when playing it, since I only have experience with a really, really cheap electric guitar. (exactly the reason I want to spend a bit more, I dont want to spend 100 euros, and upgrade again in a month or 2)

10+ Year Old Account
    PRS is always a good choice, I've been to the factory a few times since it's not too far from me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezm View Post
    thanks for the advice everyone.

Ofcourse Ill play it before I buy it, and since I know the store managers a bit, Ill talk to them as well. Im fairly sure they wont rip me off since Im a bit of a regular costumer.

Im just wondering what to look for when playing it, since I only have experience with a really, really cheap electric guitar. (exactly the reason I want to spend a bit more, I dont want to spend 100 euros, and upgrade again in a month or 2)
    Don't go into a shop with a specific model in mind (unless the look is the major factor, or you specifically want to emulate the sound of a particular player), do what the person above suggested and try as many as possible until you find one that suits you best (neck shape, balance, sound, etc).

If you have the chance, try more than one shop with a variety of amps.

Main question is what kind of music do you plan to play? This guitar will be good for distorted sound or but I wouldn't trust it for clean sounds it also doesn't have a floyd rose or vibrato this is limiting if you want to play some guitar hero solos....

It's not a versatile guitar, so if you plan to play anything other than blues, rock, heavy rock buy something else.... I would not advise this guitar as your first guitar.

My advise is to allways seek for second hand guitars, all mine are second hand... got a US strato an Ibanez S and a SG all bought for half the price...

I do not recommend buying guitars online.

Play the guitar before buying it. Any reputable store will let you. Make your decision then.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Thanks for the advise again. I'd rather not buy a 2nd hand guitar yet, since I really wouldnt know what to look for, defects wise. I also want a shop near where I can go with complaints and worries. That's also the reason I dont really want to shop in other stores. I've only had good experiences with the shop Im going to.
    The reason Im going to this shop with a guitar in mind, is since I really wouldnt know what to go for otherwise. I prefer to go in with as much backgroundinfo on this one, and if I love it, Ill take it with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I learned to play guitar on acoustic and moving over to a PRS was actually quite nice. I liked how light it was compared to others, and I love the tone.

OP, if you aren't sure on how to choose a guitar, why not take an experienced friend with you, if you have one?