6 0.68%
  • Other

141 16.10%
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    well there is this
    http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...192506855.html

American game designer brought Virtual reality to the masses with ski goggles, duct tape, and spare rocket parts... dont know why he had the last one though
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    well there is this
    http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...192506855.html

American game designer brought Virtual reality to the masses with ski goggles, duct tape, and spare rocket parts... dont know why he had the last one though
    John Carmack has his own aerospace company, Armadillo Aerospace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    John Carmack has his own aerospace company, Armadillo Aerospace.
    well that makes me feel even more like america is the most advanced nation simply because of guys like this
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

well that makes me feel even more like america is the most advanced nation simply because of guys like this
    It's not just the guys (Europe and India have brilliant engineers too).

It's the ability to generate capital... to turn an idea into an investment to hire more talent and turn it into reality. It's a whole process. Silicon Valley for instance isn't just "techies". It's a lot and a lot of venture capitalists looking to invest in the next big idea.

No one can do anything alone. It takes a team and a lot of resources. Connecting people with ideas with people who can help bring those ideas into reality is one of the big competitive advantages the US has over the rest of the world. No one can really do it as grass roots like we can. Europe, South Korea and Japan do it by a lot of government support. India and China by a lot of foreign investment. But American scientists are most often invested in by Americans.

One of the biggest shareholders of Microsoft? Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway. And he threw a lot of money in before most people here were even born and "Microsoft" was "Microsoft".

Mars: Curiosity

Not sure if there has been a more technologically advanced feat than landing that thing safely. Obviously, there is a degree of collaboration of talent and technologies from around the world but it all came to fruition in the US. Maybe it's just me, but this is the pinnacle of human technological achievement to date by my measure.

"technologically advanced" is a bit ambiguous. The US has the most advanced Military and Space program. Japan has the most advanced private enterprises and probably infrastructure. These assumptions not based on anything but my own perception - many places shine at times but this seems to hold generally true.

10+ Year Old Account
    this talk of tech reminds me where is a good website to find modern advances in technology

this talk of tech reminds me where is a good website to find modern advances in technology
    yes please....

Over all the U.S is the most advanced. However in things like Robotics Japan is far ahead of pretty much everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    If it weren't for America you wouldn't have an internet.
    you sir are an idiot, the internet was created by a British man created the World Wide Web (a major part of the internet, the only reason we have internet) his name is Sir Tim Berners-Lee, he even had a part in the Olympic opening ceremony. So, please STHU?

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 06:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Over all the U.S is the most advanced. However in things like Robotics Japan is far ahead of pretty much everyone.
    I'll be honest, the U.S is indeed very very advanced, but in terms of technology over ideas I'd say that Japan is more advanced than the U.S. but not by a whole lot. The U.S' technology isn't as advanced, Japan is creating new revolutionary technology whilst the U.S is advancing in smaller ideas. The biggest thing that the U.S has going for it is NASA, sad that they keep cutting funding and siphoning the money into useless military things.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerimae View Post
    you sir are an idiot, the internet was created by a British man created the World Wide Web (a major part of the internet, the only reason we have internet) his name is Sir Tim Berners-Lee, he even had a part in the Olympic opening ceremony. So, please STHU?

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 06:25 AM ----------

World Wide Web and Internet are very very different. Sir Berners-Lee achievement is very significant and historically important, but he would be the first to say what it is and what it isnt.

In 2011, it was about 16% of Bandwidth usage in North America.

This poll fails for not having South Korea on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Japan or USA

Still can't believe why is Japan leading this. People probably think about some cool district in Tokyo or about all the robots they have but the US currently leads in terms of innovation. It's even what you learn in schools, in EUROPE ( France at least ). Also, Japan leading robotics? How much robots from Japan are REALLY useful and used? Now look at Mars. Curiosity, the landing sequence is really advanced, and the little robot operates alone on a planet far away from here for years. Isn't that advanced robotics?

Quote Originally Posted by raddry View Post
    Still can't believe why is Japan leading this. People probably think about some cool district in Tokyo or about all the robots they have but the US currently leads in terms of innovation. It's even what you learn in schools, in EUROPE ( France at least ). Also, Japan leading robotics? How much robots from Japan are REALLY useful and used? Now look at Mars. Curiosity, the landing sequence is really advanced, and the little robot operates alone on a planet far away from here for years. Isn't that advanced robotics?
    Thats easy to explain. Japan focuses on consumer products tech that enriches everyday lives and yet it still feels new and innovative. Most of the tech in the US is focused on the military and space programs( even with a slim budgest compared to the military one). Its a lot easyer to look at tech that makes living easyer and pick it over technology that only a fraction of the population will understand and/or see functioning.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesovr View Post
    Thats easy to explain. Japan focuses on consumer products tech that enriches everyday lives and yet it still feels new and innovative. Most of the tech in the US is focused on the military and space programs( even with a slim budgest compared to the military one). Its a lot easyer to look at tech that makes living easyer and pick it over technology that only a fraction of the population will understand and/or see functioning.
    I love you. Hopefully, after your post people here will finally stop posting "U.S. is more advanced" non-sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    It's not just the guys (Europe and India have brilliant engineers too).

It's the ability to generate capital... to turn an idea into an investment to hire more talent and turn it into reality. It's a whole process. Silicon Valley for instance isn't just "techies". It's a lot and a lot of venture capitalists looking to invest in the next big idea.

No one can do anything alone. It takes a team and a lot of resources. Connecting people with ideas with people who can help bring those ideas into reality is one of the big competitive advantages the US has over the rest of the world. No one can really do it as grass roots like we can. Europe, South Korea and Japan do it by a lot of government support. India and China by a lot of foreign investment. But American scientists are most often invested in by Americans.

One of the biggest shareholders of Microsoft? Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway. And he threw a lot of money in before most people here were even born and "Microsoft" was "Microsoft".
    Funnily enough Sweden had the most venture capital deals made(again per capita, so on a much smaller scale then the US) last year according to Thomson Reuters, how reliable that info is I don't know, I doubt they record every single deal made, but from the 7000 or so deals they had recorded Sweden came out as #1.
    You do touch on something important though, I think one of the big advantage that US companies/entrepreneurs got is that it's one big cohesive market(some differences between states maybe?), while the EU/Europe does share a lot of things and got similiar corporate laws etc there is still the whole hassle of having to deal with a new set of rules and new bureaucracy everytime you want to establish yourself in a new country, so it's more work, your company can only grow so much in a country that may only have 10-15 million citizens.

So there is no lack of private investments here, both bigger investment firms like Kinnevik and smaller ones are really solid and are doing quite well, not to mention it's an absolute gold mine for share owners most of the time. Companies from smaller countries does often rely on foreign investors though if they want to grow rapidly.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-08-07 at 10:45 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with some others that Europe is the nicest place to live right now, but to answer the poll I think Japan has the highest level of technology. The United States comes in a very close second though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Japan computers? I would have said America. In electronics? Not these days, I would argue Korea. In robotics? probably.

USA in guns? I don't know anything about guns.

Sweden in health care? I don't know anything about health care.

Cars, Aeroplanes, Submarines (engineering)? UK

But i'm sure someone could have a valid point to counter argue any of my opinions just the same.
    Obviously you don't have a clue about all these things mate.
    Cars,Aeroplanes,Submarines UK??? lol Hahahaha never heard anything that funny..On the contrary these 3 are probably the only areas in which the UK would come last..Cars were invented in Germany Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler and they are still the best in the world..The UK dont even have a car industry of its own anymore,Jaguar,Rover all belong to Indians and Chinese,Rolls Royce and Bentley belong to BMW.Aeroplane??? which aeroplane?? the UK dont have an aeroplane of its own..Boeing and Airbus rule the world..In military aircraft its the US, Russia and France..UK's Eurofighter is made by a Consortium,BAE systems is merely a subcontractor for F-35 program.So whats left ?? Submarine?? which one..The US invented the nuclear submarine ,the USS Nautilus is arguably the greatest engineering feat of the last century only after Apollo moon program. You Brits have received your first nuclear submarine reactor from the US in 1960.HMS Dreadnought (1958 US-UK defence technology transfer agreement ) Even the latest and most advanced UK nuclear sub,the HMS Astute was built with the help of a software developed in the US.

..In conventional submarine it is the Germans all the way, they built the best submarines in the ww2 ,they invented the AIR INDEPENDENT PROPULSION which revolutionized the submarine technology.

Aeroplanes including Stealth Fighters and Bombers , Nuclear Submarines of all kinds ,Military Radars , Electronics, Avionics,Nuclear Weapon Delivery systems ( Trident 2 with Zero failure in 346 test launch ) in all these areas the US leads by a long long distance.
    Last edited by Duplex; 2012-09-03 at 04:40 PM.

This thread has been dead for a long time. Don't necro old threads.