Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't feel I am an expert by any means, though I have played WoW since Beta, a little EQ and FFXI before that and at least beta tested if not bought and played most MMORPG releases since then. Typically, I am a raider though I enjoy some PvP on the side. I somehow missed Rift at release. I had heard about it, but never really tried it. At one point I tried a free trial week or weekend, and I thought it was pretty good, but I was content with WoW at the time. Later, after getting bored with SWTOR's end-game, some people I played SWTOR with convinced me to give Rift a real shot. Seeing as there wasn't going to be anything new in WoW for a while, I tried it out.

Been playing for almost 4 months now and no way I am looking back. The interaction from the devs is great, you see GMs come and talk in an open format in global chat channels. You see new content coming out, I came in at 1.7 and there have been 2 major patches since then, in the little over 3 months I've been playing. Several leveling paths so you don't get bored as easily, and all are completely viable, and they added the low level IA since then.

Plenty to do at end-game, almost impossible to get bored. You can PvP, and with the recent addition of Conquest you can "catch-up" easily, you can go to Ember Isle and do the Onslaughts and Dailies there, you can do World Events, you can run dungeons, I am sure there is more. If anything, there is so much it is practically over-whelming. I am still struggling to catch up PvE and PvP wise, partially due to my limited play time, partially because there is just so much to do.

Also, the game is growing at a pretty steady pace it seems. Perhaps it is due to the revealing of the Xpac, perhaps because WoW is in it's lull before the Xpac, perhaps people are leaving SWTOR and looking for somewhere to go. I don't know the reason, I just know I am seeing tons of new and returning players. 1-29 chat is full of people asking newbish questions.

There is no other game I would rather give my sub money to, and the game itself only costs $5 from the website, though no free time with that. Still, that's $20 to get in for one month, that's better than any other MMO I can think of.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed that as well, in Deepwood's 1-29 chat, Lathais.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah, I just recently started on Deepwood myself as a Kelari Cleric. The community in this game is very friendly and there have been plenty of people that have given me good advice and help. Definitely enjoying it so far!

Rathalir Emberlight of the Crystal Desert realm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vekrah View Post
    Yeah, I just recently started on Deepwood myself as a Kelari Cleric. The community in this game is very friendly and there have been plenty of people that have given me good advice and help. Definitely enjoying it so far!
    PM me in-game on Deltress (Kelari Mage here!) and I'll give you a helping hand/run some IAs when the time comes and is right!
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    So true, i mean Blizzard are bringing out a ton of original ideas in MoP never seen before in any MMO, like Scenarios (Instant Adventures indoors), Challenge Mode Dungeons (Master Modes), heck even a New Character Creation Preview Gear so you can check out what gear your char will have at different levels, truly innovative..
    the sarcasm is strong in this one

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    the sarcasm is strong in this one
    Since I have duel screen I can play rift and pokemon at the same time.

I admire Rift. I think it is a very solid MMO, second best after WoW IMO.

Even though the player base is smaller than SWTOR, I think it was much more successfull.

If I had time to play hardcore like I onde did in WoW, I would certainly try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    Even though the player base is smaller than SWTOR
    Please provide a source for this. The sub numbers are not known for either game. Really nothing is known about Rift other than it is healthy and growing and all we know about SWTOR is it is between 500k and 1 mil. How can you say which is bigger or smaller with those facts?

Deleted
    Again, I'd love to play.
    But the sub fee keeps me at bay. :L

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranorack View Post
    Again, I'd love to play.
    But the sub fee keeps me at bay. :L
    When you get some cash or an income, have at it!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Please provide a source for this. The sub numbers are not known for either game. Really nothing is known about Rift other than it is healthy and growing and all we know about SWTOR is it is between 500k and 1 mil. How can you say which is bigger or smaller with those facts?
    I am assuming the data came from http://mmodata.blogspot.com/ which has...a semi-studied guess of how many subscribers are in Rift. At the moment it looks to be about 300k

They may be wrong, but thats the general guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Requiemcliff View Post
    I am assuming the data came from http://mmodata.blogspot.com/ which has...a semi-studied guess of how many subscribers are in Rift. At the moment it looks to be about 300k

They may be wrong, but thats the general guess.
    I doubt that site is very accurate at all with Rift as Trion does not and will not release subscription numbers and I don't want to get into a sub number debate, but you cannot really say one way or the other which is larger or smaller as there is no accurate info for either one. The only safe thing to say is they are both smaller than WoW.

Just to further show:

C rating – Some of the datapoints may come from official or other reliable sources, many of the datapoints come from estimates, third party sources, unclear official sources or other indirect information.

Rift
    Abbreviation = Rift
    Accuracy Rating C
    There are no official sources for Rift, so it's all guesswork. I wonder how they arrive at this guess. I didn't see where they said. Not to mention, SWTOR is steadily falling and their most recent release included initial 6-monthers, who may or may not quit. The one thing Rift has confirmed is that they are steadily growing. If anything, I would guess they are about equal, or Rift is ahead, if not going to pull ahead, especially after the ex-pack.

Deleted
    Icewatch \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I doubt that site is very accurate at all with Rift as Trion does not and will not release subscription numbers and I don't want to get into a sub number debate, but you cannot really say one way or the other which is larger or smaller as there is no accurate info for either one. The only safe thing to say is they are both smaller than WoW.
    I am not bashing Rift at all. My statement that the playerbase is smaller than SWTOR is from Massively, where they say the playerbase from Rift is between 500k and 1 million. It may very well go over 1 million with the expansion. Of course it is all guess, but it is a fact that the game is solid.

Also, it is a fact that Rift is stead and may be growing, while SWTOR is in free fall. It will stay in the subscription fee model for a while, maybe will be the second last to leave the model, losing only to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    I am not bashing Rift at all. My statement that the playerbase is smaller than SWTOR is from Massively, where they say the playerbase from Rift is between 500k and 1 million. It may very well go over 1 million with the expansion. Of course it is all guess, but it is a fact that the game is solid.

Also, it is a fact that Rift is stead and may be growing, while SWTOR is in free fall. It will stay in the subscription fee model for a while, maybe will be the second last to leave the model, losing only to WoW.
    All I was saying is that the statement that Rift is smaller than SWTOR is probably untrue. The sub numbers for neither are known. We have a huge guess on Rift, nothing more. For SWTOR all we have is a 500k range. Neither is anywhere close to known, and any statement saying one or the other is smaller is just a guess. It was stated as fact and I just wanted to put that down and show it is really just a guess. I saw you weren't bashing it, just didn't want someone interested in the game to come, see your post and take it as fact, since it was originally presented as such. In reality, they are probably about equal, and Rift will more than likely retain and grow it's base where SWTOR will maybe have a rise after F2P goes in, then quickly return to it current number, whatever that may be.

and on top of all of those patches, a GIANT expansion.

what does blizzard have to say to that? "Do you want new content or do you want a new expansion".

sometimes, it makes me really sad that a game like Rift isn`t more successful, so that maybe blizzard would have to put effort into their game again instead of going meh, 9 million subs for 8 months without new content /laughtothebank

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    So true, i mean Blizzard are bringing out a ton of original ideas in MoP never seen before in any MMO, like Scenarios (Instant Adventures indoors), Challenge Mode Dungeons (Master Modes), heck even a New Character Creation Preview Gear so you can check out what gear your char will have at different levels, truly innovative..
    I see what you did there...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnermighty View Post
    One of the things that deterred me away from playing RIFT more seriously for its raids was just the whole macro system. It seemed like everything revolved around macros.
    This was the case at launch, but was gradually washed away with subsequent patches.

I used to need 5 complex macros for tanking. Now I can tank with a single bar of abilities (hotkeyed). Same with some of the mage specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a pyrolockarchon mage and I had one macro at one point, then a friend told me to get rid of it and to control those spells on my own - my dps went up. ;p
    "A flower.

The ONLY reason I play wow instead of rift is the attachment to my characters. The game felt similar enough to wow I was like well hell I may as well play the toons I have already invested all this time into. I was about to go play rift and give it another go when trion had that credit card snafu and it scarred me off. Then when I was ready to give it ANOTHER go, well I had a friend let me play GW2 beta on is account and i was hooked. Rift and I for some reason are just not meant to be. But for anyone looking to play an mmo that is out I would totally recommend it.