Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerion View Post
    Trazyn the Infinite says otherwise . Ward turned these silent menaces known as the Necrons and turned them into Saturday morning cartoon characters. This guy just goes around and interferes with battles to collect nonsense? I mean he holds the relic of Thor's head and "a giant man wearing baroque Power Armour" (who's probably Leman Russ given how awful Ward is at creativity and writing). What a joke.
    Difference is that Saturday Morning Cartoon Villians tend to loose every time,

Goddamnit, Imothek managed to outsmart eldar farseer.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Also GW seems to have bad luck getting their IP into other markets as a decent product
    This. Although the tabletop games are great (if you are into that sort of thing.), pretty much every other thing WAR related has sank. The only moderate successes were the dawn of war games, and those are okay, not great. Like others have said, considering how rich the lore is for both warhammer fantasy and 40k, its a damn shame that the only really good experiences one will have with them is the tabletop games.

Also, I like where Dragonshardz was going. If they ever were to make 40k into a film series, it would have to be epic in scope. Does anyone know if Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan are into Warhammer lol? I feel either of them are competent enough to make a worthy trilogy.
    There is a fine line between clever and stupid.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by axeplay View Post
    This. Although the tabletop games are great (if you are into that sort of thing.), pretty much every other thing WAR related has sank. The only moderate successes were the dawn of war games, and those are okay, not great. Like others have said, considering how rich the lore is for both warhammer fantasy and 40k, its a damn shame that the only really good experiences one will have with them is the tabletop games.

Also, I like where Dragonshardz was going. If they ever were to make 40k into a film series, it would have to be epic in scope. Does anyone know if Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan are into Warhammer lol? I feel either of them are competent enough to make a worthy trilogy.
    Nolan + 40K = A movie so dark it would just be a black screen for 2 hours.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Nolan + 40K = A movie so dark it would just be a black screen for 2 hours.
    You sir just won the internet

it also doesnt have nearly big enough of a following to justify it, especially since you want a full blown CGI experience it would need to do really well in the box office to cover those costs

They could make a movie out of the Gaunt's Ghosts' series. There's plenty of interesting characters in those books and they could easily pick and choose from various events throughout the series to include and/or not include. I mean if I recall correctly, the second book was nothing but random conflicts that featured one of the major named characters one by one to introduce them. There's everything in there to make a movie...romance, horror, suspense, action, drama some political intrigue...everything anyone could possibly want out of a movie.

I think even Hollywood could pull it off, they're no strangers to making movies based around human soldiers, and its not like the forces of Chaos (the primary foe in Gaunt's Ghosts') are terribly hard to depict: Legions of mindless, insane footsoldiers, horrifying demons, and the occasional Chaos Space Marine. The sheer harshness of 40K could be a major turnoff to a lot of people, but if the movie would be done well I could see it topping charts no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Ultramarines movie is what we got, and I don't think it is anything special TBH. I want a movie about the Horus Heresy, watching Sanguinius kick ass would be sick.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    Focus on on chapter and maybe one company, ala a movie based on the 3rd person shooter Space Marine. Luved the game, I'm in hopes that GW lets them break Canon and allow Titus to live to be in a sequel game against either the eldar or dark eldar, but I doubt it.
    The sims lies, don't trust them....

Imagine how long a good movie about the "Horus Heresy" would be?

Deleted
    I rewatched Event Horizon again and I have to say, if you imagine "Hell" as "The Warp" you definitely get a very strong 40k vibe from it. I mean, the ship has a 'warp drive' and gets 'possessed' with all sort of fun ritual sacrifices and bloody goreness (see; Khorne) going on. It's generally regarded as an unofficial 40K prequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Its too big for a movie.
    This pretty much. It has far too much depth to be able to get an audience that has never been exposed to that universe before to convey in enough time to make sense for a movie.

They should however produce some sort of CGI/animated series.
    RETH

Deleted
    Starship Troopers.

Deleted
    NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO!

Have you seen Transformer trash? It was uber fail!

I don't want WH40k to be ruined!

Because the world is not ready yet for battlefields where the dead are buried in a goddamn mass grave that fills a canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Because the world is not ready yet for battlefields where the dead are buried in a goddamn mass grave that fills a canyon.
    ... and half of them were sent there by friendly fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Hollywood would probably struggle with the idea that Space Marines are essentially Space Nazi's and they would be the "go to" race to tell the story. Yes Space Marines protect the worlds of man but they don't do it with a smile, they do it with unrelenting zeal and fire....lots of fire. It just makes it hard for the audience to actually empathise with the hero then the hero would rather incinerate the planet rather than saving it's inhabitants.
    That's the problem with making Warhammer 40k a movie. There's the bad guys... and then the bad guys. The closest thing to a good race would be the Tau probably, but they're antagonists, and "Join us and live in peace or be seared by flame" isn't exactly what I'd consider good.

---------- Post added 2012-08-08 at 03:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SadWarrior View Post
    NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO!

Have you seen Transformer trash? It was uber fail!

I don't want WH40k to be ruined!
    The only problem with Tranformers was Shia Labeouf and the crappy love interests. I can't exactly think of a single love interest in the entirety of W40k, so that's a non-issue unless they completely butcher the story.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-08 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    That's the problem with making Warhammer 40k a movie. There's the bad guys... and then the bad guys. The closest thing to a good race would be the Tau probably, but they're antagonists, and "Join us and live in peace or be seared by flame" isn't exactly what I'd consider good.

The only problem with Tranformers was Shia Labeouf and the crappy love interests. I can't exactly think of a single love interest in the entirety of W40k, so that's a non-issue unless they completely butcher the story.
    It's hard to be friendly when you're surrounded by insane, xenophobic warmongers!

I think it would be better that they don't make a movie. I'd prefer to have the games untainted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that WH40K is pretty much just too big for a movie. The mentality doesn't really "fit" our modern era either. The best we could probably get would be an animated movie and it would pretty much have to be a labor of love to do the setting any justice.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

If they were going to make a movie, they'd have to choose a small and concentrated story. I'd forwards the Deathwing short story, focusing on Cloud Runner, aka Ezekiel, a Dark Angels Terminator:

(Includes spoilers for those interested in reading the Deathwing short-story)

The only notable mission Cloud Runner - now known as Ezekiel - is known to have taken part in occurred 120 years before the fateful mission to the plains world. The Hive World of Thranx had refused to pay tithes for twenty years, and a sizable Imperial force was despatched to rectify the situation. Led by Inquisitor Van Dam, elements of the Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Ultramarines and the Necromundan Imperial Guard discovered that the world was lost to Genestealer infiltration. Eventually, the planet was subject to Exterminatus. Fighting alonside Cloud Runner during this campaign were several Marines later to join him on the plains world, including the Librarian Two-Heads Talking and the Sergeant Lame Bear. Cloud Runner, now Ezekiel, ultimately rose through the ranks to become the Captain of the Dark Angels' 1st Company.

Cloud Runner's role in history was settled when he was selected to command the next recruitment mission sent to his homeworld. Upon landing on the world in the special shuttle always used for this mission known as Deathwing (which was either named after a belief native to the planet that a great fiery bird called the Deathwing took one to judgement after death and to perhaps join the warriors in the sky, or more likely actually created the belief in the first place) he and his detachment of 30 1st Company warriors discovered that the world had been seriously compromised by Genestealer infection. The recruiting tribes were destroyed, their descendents gathered into a great industrial city under the thrall of the Genestealer Cult. Instead of acting as a Space Marine Captain and enacting the process of Exterminatus, Cloud Runner elected to view the situation as a tribal war-chief, and he and his men decided to embrace battle. Believing themselves certain to die in their upcoming combat, they undertook the tribal Rite of the Deathwing, where warriors destined to die gird themselves for death by painting themselves white, the funeral colour. Cloud Runner and all his men therefore repainted their Terminator armour bone white.

Entering the Genestealer-controlled city, Cloud Runner led his Deathwing Terminators on a direct assault at the heart of the Cult activity. With the death of their Patriarch - slain by Two-Heads Talking - the Genestealers sufffered from lack of direction and crippled morale for some time, enabling the Marines to reap tremendous numbers of enemies slain. However, the Cult managed to rally in their underground lair and counter-attacked the Marine force, instigating a tremendous close-quarters battle. At the end of the battle, when all the Cult members were killed, only six Terminators still lived, Cloud Runner amongst them.

Instead of returning to the Dark Angels, the surviving Astartes decided to attempt to save their people's future by recreating the tribal system. Dividing the populace amongst themselves, they seperated, each leading a sixth of the natives away to watch over and reducate. Eschewing their Terminator suits and responsibilites to their Chapter, the 1st Company veterans instead embraced their responsibilities to their people and chose to guide their tribes back to the way of life that existed before the Genestealers.

Ten years after this incident, the Dark Angels sent a follow-up force to the world to determine what had happened to their recruiting party. This force - led by the new 1st Company Captain, Broken Knife and including the Dreadnought Hawk Talon - discovered and interrogated Cloud Runner. Judging his actions worthy, Broken Knife elected to leave things as they were, with the exception of recovering the (still white) Terminator suits. Cloud Runner requested that, as a favour, Broken Knife leave those suits as they were in order to honour the fallen. Broken Knife's agreement to this request would eventually result in the entire 1st company of the Dark Angels becoming styled as the Deathwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post

Well, there are always Farseer Taldeer and Vinidicare Assassin:P

Heresy aside, WH40k is way too big for a movie, maybe a CGI series (similar to Tartakovsky's Clone Wars for Star Wars), i propose it starts with Commander Chenkov, so people get used to setting fast^^