Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgraded PC not working

Hey,

I just tried to upgrade my selfbuilt PC. I went from an i7-920 to an i7 3770k along with an Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard along with new ram. After having everything reassembled I went for the first boot. My U2711 was recieving picture through displayport from the gfx. It said 'New Processor inserted, please run the setup. Press f1 to enter the setup' so I did that. But before I could really catch a proper view of the setup menu the system instantly shut down.

After the shutdown I was unable to initiate a boot unless I took the system off the power long enough, however, I can't get any picture anymore, neither through DP nor the MoBo's HDMI. Whenever I turn the system on, it seems to run for something like 1-3 minutes and then shuts down again and is again not able to initiate a boot unless taken off of the power. The LED on the MoBo stays green nonetheless.

Anyone have any idea?

Edit:
    I've already checked for good seating of the CPU cooler and tried to remove the graphic card to at least force the picture over the MoBo's HDMI, but nothing.
    Last edited by Xcuse; 2012-08-17 at 07:44 AM.

try reseting CMOS by taking the battery out for a few mins then reinserting

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    try reseting CMOS by taking the battery out for a few mins then reinserting
    Clear Cmos removing battery or the Clear Cmos button which appears on some boards. I'd also ask did you clear your HDD? It is not wise to try upgrade Mobo/Cpu w/o doing a fresh windows install. This and the fact that some GPU's with no drivers refuse to boot from HDMI/DP and will require DVI or VGA to setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Clear Cmos removing battery or the Clear Cmos button which appears on some boards. I'd also ask did you clear your HDD? It is not wise to try upgrade Mobo/Cpu w/o doing a fresh windows install. This and the fact that some GPU's with no drivers refuse to boot from HDMI/DP and will require DVI or VGA to setup.
    His issues seem to be all pre boot. Drivers and OS are irrelevant before the HDD is accessed. Also, since W7 I have never reformatted for a mobo/processor swap on my personal stuff. Had no issues thus far. He should get a picture regardless. Clearing CMOS is a good idea though.

@OP Intermittent issues with POST points to hardware in my mind. Sounds like you may have a faulty mobo, processor, or RAM. Pull all RAM out and make sure you get an error tone. Then try booting with one stick at a time until you have the same issue. This is most likely the issue. Only use one stick at a time, because if you use multiples, it is harder to figure out which stick is causing the issue. Try this and get back to this thread if RAM allows you to boot, or every stick has the same problem as before(meaning issue not caused by RAM).

Deleted
    I had almost the same problem, but for me the pc were restarting at the windows installation process. The problem was the ram so check that as Demoness sayd

Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far.

I removed the battery to clear the CMOS, removed the Graphic Card entirely, connected the Motherboard by it's VGA port and attempted booting with only 1 RAM stick in place - same thing - tried a different stick in a different RAM slot - same thing. So I checked the booting without any RAM stick and there was no beeping... Just the same spinning of the fans for ~3 minutes and then turning off.

Suppose that means it's either CPU or MOBO sided. Any way of telling what actually is the cause or do I have to RMA both?
    Just seems wierd that it managed to boot to the bios just fine the first time around.
    Last edited by Xcuse; 2012-08-17 at 03:41 PM.

Are you using all the correct motherboard standoffs? Have you checked that all cables are connected properly, especially the 4/8pin EPS12V cable for your motherboard.

Can you take all the parts out of the case and try starting it like that?

Also have you tried the MemOK! function on your motherboard?
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-08-17 at 03:49 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Iirc the only essential connections are the bigass 24(?) pin power along with the smaller 8 pin power connection next to the cpu, right?

Removing all but those 2 connections with only my OS SSD and the keyboard plugged in it doesn't move at all so I guess that's incorrect. What other connections are essential?

Quote Originally Posted by Xcuse View Post
    Iirc the only essential connections are the bigass 24(?) pin power along with the smaller 8 pin power connection next to the cpu, right?

Removing all but those 2 connections with only my OS SSD and the keyboard plugged in it doesn't move at all so I guess that's incorrect. What other connections are essential?
    It is only those 2 for the motherboard, can you try that memok! function?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I suppose I'm meant to push it while the the status LED of the MoBo is green but the PCmis not running. There's nothing happening upon pushing that button, alltho I still don't have any RAM installed in hope of getting a beep.

I suppose I'm meant to push it while the the status LED of the MoBo is green but the PCmis not running. There's nothing happening upon pushing that button, alltho I still don't have any RAM installed in hope of getting a beep.
    Put the RAM back in and try the button again.

If that doesn't work I think you should pull it all out of the case and assemble it on top of your motherboard box just to exclude any kind of short circuit from the case.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-08-17 at 04:06 PM.

Still no reaction from the button. I re-checked the sitting of the power cables and realized that the 24pin connector is missing a contact on the top row (8th pin). Suppose that's not quite normal >.< guess that broke somewhere down the road of replacing the MOBO.

Could that be it?

Still no reaction from the button. I re-checked the sitting of the power cables and realized that the 24pin connector is missing a contact on the top row (8th pin). Suppose that's not quite normal >.< guess that broke somewhere down the road of replacing the MOBO.

Could that be it?
    Is that the green cable?

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Is that the green cable?
    Ehm, not really no. Checking that I came to realize that the mentioned pin isn't connected at all

Ehm, not really no. Checking that I came to realize that the mentioned pin isn't connected at all
    I guess that is what is supposed to be the white -5V cable that isn't really used then.

Are you saying your 20+4 pin has no +4? Now ive seen this happen 1 time where a person used a 6+2 pin pci for there 8pin? I mean its starting to sound like the board is shorted out or dead.

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    His issues seem to be all pre boot. Drivers and OS are irrelevant before the HDD is accessed. Also, since W7 I have never reformatted for a mobo/processor swap on my personal stuff. Had no issues thus far. He should get a picture regardless. Clearing CMOS is a good idea though.

@OP Intermittent issues with POST points to hardware in my mind. Sounds like you may have a faulty mobo, processor, or RAM. Pull all RAM out and make sure you get an error tone. Then try booting with one stick at a time until you have the same issue. This is most likely the issue. Only use one stick at a time, because if you use multiples, it is harder to figure out which stick is causing the issue. Try this and get back to this thread if RAM allows you to boot, or every stick has the same problem as before(meaning issue not caused by RAM).
    Im 100% positive from experience switching from 1st gen i7 on 1366 to a 1155 w/o a fresh install of windows would cause a ton of issues, maybe not this particular but thats quite a change, I doubt you'd see any problems from 1155 to 1155.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I guess that is what is supposed to be the white -5V cable that isn't really used then.
    [IMG?]http://www.octeamdenmark.com/forums/attachments/hardware/754d1230558224-20-og-24-pins-atx-pinout-24-pin-atx-pinout.gif[/.IMG]
    Yup, that seems to be it indeed. However, I found out why the pc wasnt booting anymore (/facepalm moment) - I removed the power button connections aswell.

Anyways, I'm back to square 1 now: All the connections removed, only 1 RAM stick in, turning the PC on gives me no picture over the MOBO's VGA with no GFX installed (at least the mouse seems to be powered during this time). Alltho it doesn't seem to be shutting itself down for no reason anymore - nvm it just shut down again, alltho it took like 6 minutes this time around.
    Last edited by Xcuse; 2012-08-17 at 04:45 PM.

Yup, that seems to be it indeed. However, I found out why the pc wasnt booting anymore (/facepalm moment) - I removed the power button connections aswell.

Anyways, I'm back to square 1 now: All the connections removed, only 1 RAM stick in, turning the PC on gives me no picture over the MOBO's VGA with no GFX installed (at least the mouse seems to be powered during this time). Alltho it doesn't seem to be shutting itself down for no reason anymore - nvm it just shut down again, alltho it took like 6 minutes this time around.
    /point laugh glad you got it figured out, but remember simple mistakes can be huge. So id suggest completely rewiring everything and trying again from that point.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-08-17 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Are you saying your 20+4 pin has no +4? Now ive seen this happen 1 time where a person used a 6+2 pin pci for there 8pin? I mean its starting to sound like the board is shorted out or dead.
    The 8pin connection next to the CPU is connected with 2x 4, the 24 pin is 20+4 indeed.

Edit:
    Still getting no beeps when attempting to boot without ram

Edit2:
    MEMTEST still showing no function with RAM installed either
    Last edited by Xcuse; 2012-08-17 at 04:53 PM.

Did you try to remove the reattach the cables from the harddisk? I had a similar problem where the computer would just shut down before even booting, i tried everything untill i removed and reattached the cables to my harddisk and that seemed to work. For some reason my harddisk kept restarting the computer.
    Last edited by Synithin; 2012-08-17 at 04:53 PM.
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]