Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Confessions of a Car salesperson.

I sell cars for a living, possibly one of the least trusted careers.

Ask me anything you would like to know about what goes on behind the scenes.

Can you give me a free car?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Do you sweat like a pig when your about to make a sale
    Do you fart on a brand new car seat when it comes in!

I really couldnt think of a serious question :s
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted

Deleted
    What was the worst flaw on a car, that you have sold but lied about?

People always seem to want a free car. If you want a free car, become a car sales manager. Most places give demos for free to little cost to managers.

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Do you sweat like a pig when your about to make a sale
    Do you fart on a brand new car seat when it comes in!

I really couldnt think of a serious question :s
    Of course, it's a nervous moment thinking about making a sale or not. My kids depend on that sale.

Not usually. But some salespeople are known to mess up cars of the overly picky.

how do used car sales people live with the fact that they rip people off selling a car for at least 2/3 more then it is worth and probably 3/4 more then you bought it for? Yes I undersstand it is a buisness and needs to make money but there is a difference between profits and fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by NETTN View Post
    What was the worst flaw on a car, that you have sold but lied about?
    Acura. The customer wanted to use voice commands like they had with their fords sync. I told them it was just like sync but better, and than quickly changed the topic to something about the hard drive on board.

Guy loved the car so much he bought it. Called me the next day complaint about voice commands not working and being unresponsive. I told him it was services issue and set an appointment for him.

Honda and Acura voice command programs haven't been updated since 2006 and are some of the slowest in the industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    This you?

"Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

10+ Year Old Account
    Do salesmen sell cars to their customers when they know that particular model does not meet the needs of the customer?

(I.E. do they lie to them about what the car can do?)
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoutanClan View Post
    Acura. The customer wanted to use voice commands like they had with their fords sync. I told them it was just like sync but better, and than quickly changed the topic to something about the hard drive on board.

Guy loved the car so much he bought it. Called me the next day complaint about voice commands not working and being unresponsive. I told him it was services issue and set an appointment for him.

Honda and Acura voice command programs haven't been updated since 2006 and are some of the slowest in the industry.
    Just read that. I use to work at a Acura dealership cleaning cars. Man I loved driving those new TLs. They also had a few customers that had NSXs that I would get to drive/clean.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoutanClan View Post
    I sell cars for a living, possibly one of the least trusted careers.

Ask me anything you would like to know about what goes on behind the scenes.
    We all know salespeople lie out of their arse constantly. I pity the people who have to work as one and at the same time I hate every single one. It's all about deception.

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy029 View Post
    how do used car sales people live with the fact that they rip people off selling a car for at least 2/3 more then it is worth and probably 3/4 more then you bought it for? Yes I undersstand it is a buisness and needs to make money but there is a difference between profits and fraud.
    Easy. Because that same sales person got beat up by the original owner of that said used car. People come in expecting their rusted high mileage beater to be worth what Kelly blue book says and they won't accept anything you say other wise.

In reality used car prices are based off a ever changing market. Sometimes it's up sometimes it's down. You bought a Toyota because you heard of its high resale value, but then in 5 years when you trade it in its barely worth anything because 700 other people bought the same car. It's supply and demand plus influences in gas, media, and recalls.

If I sell a used car for $16,000, 90% of the time I bought that car in at $13,000. And normally that same car should have only been bought in at $11,500. That $3000 different between bought in price and sold price works like this now:

16000-13000= 3000 net profit.
    Repair work and tires = 1000
    Dealer house cut = 500
    Total gross profit = 1500

Average car sales ale makes 20% off gross profit. $300 is all that I would make on that car.and that might be the only car I sell that week.

When someone is buying a new or certified used car, how do you recommend they begin bargaining on the price?
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Do salesmen sell cars to their customers when they know that particular model does not meet the needs of the customer?

(I.E. do they lie to them about what the car can do?)
    Of course. If a person is that open that they don't know what their needs and wants are than of course a salesperson is going to "up" them into another car.

As consumers you need to know what your coming in there for and have reasons why you won't be upped.

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    When someone is buying a new or certified used car, how do you recommend they begin bargaining on the price?
    New car: look online and see how long that car has been out. If it has been out less than 3 months there will be no rebates on it. Check the factory website to see if there are current rebates or discounts you qualify for. Know what invoice is but don't expect it on every car. Cars.com has invoice prices. And remember they are subject to change. Realize that not everywhere gives money off. Back in 2008 everyone was mass discounting cars. It no longer is like that. Come in with a number in mind and see how close they are to it. Don't give your number until he gives his.

Same with certified except check out auto trader for other certified cars in the area that match exact
    Y the car your looking at. If it is lower try to move them towards that price. Remember on certified cars there is no way to get thousands off the price, unless they truly are desperate and willing to take a loss.

how much money did you make per month on average

Thank you. That is great advice. I will have to remember that when I buy my next car.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by connectz View Post
    how much money did you make per month on average
    Depends on the dealership and the major company.

Most people who buy Hondas don't do research and just buy Honda because they like Honda. These people make Honda/Acura sales people very happy. Any japanese dealer is like this. You can easily make over $4000 a month within working at a high volume store with Japanese cars. The people who buy them do no real research, just buy because they heard it is good or trusted and are easily ripped off. I sold a $30k civic is mugen to a gullible, I like Honda, teen for over $50k before taxes because I told him how rare it was. Really all the mugen is is a paint job, stickers spoiler and rims on a regular si. Regular si civics go for around 25k.

At domestic car makes most places give you a salary plus small commission per car. Usually $500 a week plus $150 per car with a monthly bonus after x amount of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    Thank you. That is great advice. I will have to remember that when I buy my next car.
    Honestly, if you are buying anything that isn't a luxury car (Honda, Toyota, Ford, Dodge, etc.) you should be able to get invoice extremely easy - just go to a volume dealership and say the max you'll pay is invoice. I bought a brand new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited at invoice, maybe 3 weeks after they started shipping the 2013 model. Make it very clear that if they don't give you the price you want, you'll go get it somewhere else. Obviously they'll have to talk to their sales manager like five times or whatever, I usually use that time to call another dealer around the area and ask if they will sell me a similar car for $100 over invoice. When the salesperson comes back, I'll inform that it's invoice or someone else is making the sale + $100.

Biggest one: do you research before you get to the dealership. Don't ever let a salesperson convince you that you "need" something, decide what trim level you want and what features you think are required and which are optional and which are absolutely useless. Always control the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    What is your strategy when a customer comes in...
    (A) Knowing the sticker price of the car and the actual value of all its options (I.E. They know what the car is actually worth)
    (B) They have already got the cash in their pocket and you can't play games on the financing side
    (C) They refuse to pay for dealership extras (I.E. They name a price and refuse to accept any counteroffer)