Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How do you add MF into your gear without going broke?

How the hell do you see profiles of people walking around with 250-300 MF on their gear and still sporting 40k health, 40k+ DPS if monks/barbs and triple that if glass cannon Wiz/DH and still keeping high resists? Im playing a Barb now and really enjoying it but since everyone says you must use MF if you want to get good drops I figured Id look into some. I tried searching for pieces with only 15 MF and anything that wouldnt totally gimp my stats is 8+ mil a piece. So how are people managing to get 18-20% in every slot and also keep up their other stats?

Seems like a massive catch 22. You have to be able to get good drops to sell in order to buy gear with high MF on it while maintaining your other stats like vit, resist all, crit but you need a high MF to get decent 5-6 affix items that will actually sell. So in order to farm for gear that you can sell to buy gear that has MF you actually have to be wearing MF in the first place so you hit high affix rolls. I have 0 MF right now and almost every 61/62/63 item I looted running all of Act 1 and then Act 2 up to Maghda had only 4 affixes. I ended up with a full stash page as I dont pick up garbage like 61 weapons or sub 60 armor. But at the same time I just melted everything I came across in seconds.

Should I just farm Act 3 for a while, as soon as I get there, and eventually due to getting so many items a few will naturally have to be worth a lot. So then I can start replacing 1 or 2 pieces a week? Or should I just work on getting better gear focusing on more resists and DPS so I can farm so fast MF wont matter because Im just getting so many rares from just how fast I can move around and kill elites? I know if I tried to add a few MF pieces with what little gold I have right now now (only 10 million) I would gimp myself and dont think that would be worth it because what good is MF in the first place if you cant farm anything because your stats suck?

Deleted
    My barbs old MF gear had about 40k HP, 35k DPS, 900'ish all resists (with War Cry though) and 200+ MF and I sure as heck didn't pay 8 mil a piece for that. Every single piece was purchased for less than a million, cheapest ones a hundred-two hundred thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    My barbs old MF gear had about 40k HP, 35k DPS, 900'ish all resists (with War Cry though) and 200+ MF and I sure as heck didn't pay 8 mil a piece for that. Every single piece was purchased for less than a million, cheapest ones a hundred-two hundred thousand.

Im sorry but thats a complete lie and BS. My barb is at 42k DPS 800 resists and 43k health. Every single piece with similar stats to what I have now that also has MF is not less than a million so please just stop. Log in right now go to any slot and type in 15 MF, 60 resist all, 150 str and then find the first one that also has at least 75 Vit and screenshot it costing under a mil. Not a bid with 1d11 hours left but an actual buyout. OK just found a chest piece that has only 11% MF on it and was the cheapest and closest match to my current one, if I used Vit gems in the sockets, to use as an example. The price is also listed below them in the screenshot.

Last edited by Lilly32; 2012-08-18 at 08:23 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Im sorry but thats a complete lie and BS. My barb is at 42k DPS 800 resists and 43k health. Every single piece with similar stats to what I have now that also has MF is not less than a million so please just stop.
    Believe what you will, I know what I've spent on my gear. It's just a matter of being patient and stalking the AH over a few weeks time, sniping 1d12h/1d11h bargains. If you expect to get a good MF set RIGHT NOW RIGHT HERE you're obviously going to have to pay a gazillion, that's the cost of being impatient.
    Last edited by mmoc68224f08ff; 2012-08-18 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    relax - its lilly - you will see similar threads now for next 2-3 weeks

was with monk everyday a new thread bout bad drops, no gold, bad stats ... whatever
    now he/she have new twink and it start again lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    relax - its lilly - you will see similar threads now for next 2-3 weeks

was with monk everyday a new thread bout bad drops, no gold, bad stats ... whatever
    now he/she have new twink and it start again lol
    Ah cheers, was wondering if this was a case of forgotten meds or what was up with the unwarranted hostility :P

Str gear is overpriced because WW/Tornado didnt get nerfed. Even Barb gear with mediocre stats is expensive. Just hope WD's become the new FoTM class and reroll cause int gear with MF is dirt cheap.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-18 at 09:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wait until 1.0.4 when you can search for up to 6 properties at once. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of stuff for a more reasonable price.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    Just wait until 1.0.4 when you can search for up to 6 properties at once. I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of stuff for a more reasonable price.
    Or more likely for a much much less reasonable price. :P

Or just compromise on the primary stat a bit, or the RA. Searching for an item with 30 resist all instead of 60 can reduce the price by over 30%, if not more.

I might just skip it completely. I know Im geared enough to easily farm Act 3. That has to be far better than doing something like Act 1 with 300+ MF. I might try and get a few pieces but if prices remain like the pic I posted, which was actually the cheapest MF replacement I could find with similar stats, I will just run with 0 MF. Before I decided on my Barb I watched a lot of streams of people Act 3 farming and none of them wore MF gear cause they posted a link to what they were wearing. Was a screenshot before profiles and now their profiles. Also they didnt MF swap because they never opened their inventory. They were getting loads of rares even after leaving the bad ones on the ground and had tons of gold and great gear. So if it worked for them it will work for me. Im enjoying my Barb a lot so even without any MF as much as I plan on playing him I will have to get good loot just by the shear volume of rares I will be getting from farming runs because of how fast I can move from elite to elite.

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Ah cheers, was wondering if this was a case of forgotten meds or what was up with the unwarranted hostility :P
    I wasnt trying to be hostile you just made outrageous claims that are obviously untrue. Like I said theres no way you are finding Str gear with MF for under a million unless its like level 25 gear.

I know Im geared enough to easily farm Act 3. That has to be far better than doing something like Act 1 with 300+ MF
    Magic Find and its efficiency: A statistical insight would disagree with you, but hey have fun getting those 4 property rares in act 3.

Deleted
    I wasnt trying to be hostile you just made outrageous claims that are obviously untrue. Like I said theres no way you are finding Str gear with MF for under a million unless its like level 25 gear.
    And like I said, don't expect to get everything right away, take your time and stalk the AH, you will run into those bargains and can gather up a respectable MF set quite cheap. No need to be a douche about it.

One thing you forget to factor in is a lot of these people are ahead of the curve and were already obtaining MF before there was talk of removing MF swapping. The gear was actually fairly cheap for quite some time. Because it does cost you survivability or damage.Between the cheaper prices months ago and sniping the AH it isn't as expensive as you think.

Basically, I'm saying you're way behind the times. I had 200(220 with shield) unbuffed mf 2 months ago. (I don't feel like it's worth getting on rings/gloves)I spent 40m on gear,not including weapons, and have 52k dps 55k hp and 700 resist as a monk. I'm sure I could sell it for at least triple that now and even more after the blog. It really pays to not be a sheep.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-08-18 at 05:15 PM.

Deleted
    Sadly, you dont.
    Yesterday, i got a nice drop of Int pants with vit/int/resall in reasonable amount, AND on top it had 13% MF...even though without MF, pants like that go for 1-2 min tops, with only 13% MF i instantly sold them for 20mil on trade.
    Truth is, most people just use gear swaping, with programs like AutoHotkey, or manually. Then you only need gear with maxed MF and enough HP/resist to not get oneshotted while finishing elite from 0.5%. I would go as far to say that using automated programs on gear swaping shouldnt be considered boting...its just how the game is and always was.

I might just skip it completely. I know Im geared enough to easily farm Act 3. That has to be far better than doing something like Act 1 with 300+ MF.
    Absolutely not.
    Here is a loot table for inferno, confirmed to be correct for 1.0.3 by Blizzard.
    Item Hell Act III/IV Inferno Act I Inferno Act II Inferno Act III/IV
    iLvl 61 9 % 18% 19% 24%
    iLvl 62 2% 8% 12% 16%
    iLvl 63 0% 2% 4% 8%

So, in Act 3, you have 48% chance that item will be "possibly sellable", in Act 1, its 28%.
    If you now calculate number of rares that 300% MF gives you (1-2 additional rare per pack), i think that farming Act 1 with 300% MF is much better then act 3 with 0.
    Last edited by mmoc16a8f9d66b; 2012-08-18 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenx View Post
    Sadly, you dont.
    Yesterday, i got a nice drop of Int pants with vit/int/resall in reasonable amount, AND on top it had 13% MF...even though without MF, pants like that go for 1-2 min tops, with only 13% MF i instantly sold them for 20mil on trade.
    Truth is, most people just use gear swaping, with programs like AutoHotkey, or manually. Then you only need gear with maxed MF and enough HP/resist to not get oneshotted while finishing elite from 0.5%. I would go as far to say that using automated programs on gear swaping shouldnt be considered boting...its just how the game is and always was.

Absolutely not.
    Here is a loot table for inferno, confirmed to be correct for 1.0.3 by Blizzard.
    Item Hell Act III/IV Inferno Act I Inferno Act II Inferno Act III/IV
    iLvl 61 9 % 18% 19% 24%
    iLvl 62 2% 8% 12% 16%
    iLvl 63 0% 2% 4% 8%

So, in Act 3, you have 48% chance that item will be "possibly sellable", in Act 1, its 28%.
    If you now calculate number of rares that 300% MF gives you (1-2 additional rare per pack), i think that farming Act 1 with 300% MF is much better then act 3 with 0.

Those are the old rates. Act 3 was hotfixed on June 28th: iLvl 63: 8.0% to 16.3% Also if Act 3 wasnt better then why do so many people farm it? I also checked the AH for gear that was good enough to do Act 3 and also had MF and it was so outrageously priced I dont see how anyone can be farming Act 3 with 250+ unbuffed MF on their normal gear unless they just bought it off the RMAH. So there have to be a lot of people farming Act 3 with no MF and they have to be doing better than anyone farming Act 1. I mean its a higher Act logic dictates it must drop better loot. Why even have higher Acts at all if Act 1 drops better loot?

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 04:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Magic Find and its efficiency: A statistical insight would disagree with you, but hey have fun getting those 4 property rares in act 3.
    MF is garbage I dont care what some spreadsheet or 30 page forum post says. I know I Farmed Act 1 for 2 months with 300+ buffed MF and I know I never got anything because I sat in my chair at my PC IDing crap item after crap item every single day. Those stats are only related to their own game play not mine. While their RNG might be great mine has been terrible. So how can you say they are right and I am wrong? I know what I got and I know that only 1 item in 2 months of farming has actually sold for a decent amount. It was only enough for Guild Wars 2 so I dont know how all these people are making thousands off the RMAH with $200 sales all over the place unless they are bots or duping. The little gold I have made has either come from crafting or off the RMAH. While people might side with them cause they have lots of numbers and data I can assure you I farmed just as much if not more I just didnt put all mine into a pretty little spreadsheet. So I refuse to ever use MF gear again as no matter how high I got it and how long I farmed all I got was crap. Id rather just focus on DPS and Survivability stats and farm a higher Act.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-18 at 08:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    MF is garbage I dont care what some spreadsheet or 30 page forum post says. I know I Farmed Act 1 for 2 months with 300+ buffed MF and I know I never got anything because I sat in my chair at my PC IDing crap item after crap item every single day. Those stats are only related to their own game play not mine. While their RNG might be great mine has been terrible. So how can you say they are right and I am wrong? I know what I got and I know that only 1 item in 2 months of farming has actually sold for a decent amount. It was only enough for Guild Wars 2 so I dont know how all these people are making thousands off the RMAH with $200 sales all over the place unless they are bots or duping. The little gold I have made has either come from crafting or off the RMAH. While people might side with them cause they have lots of numbers and data I can assure you I farmed just as much if not more I just didnt put all mine into a pretty little spreadsheet. So I refuse to ever use MF gear again as no matter how high I got it and how long I farmed all I got was crap. Id rather just focus on DPS and Survivability stats and farm a higher Act.
    The effect of MF is a point of view.

Basically, if you think of getting a "good" item being equivalent to winning in a lottery, all MF does is giving you more tickets. That doesn't mean you will win, it just means you have a higher chance.

If you really want to see a proper trade-off from MF you will need to let it do its' work, 'cause all it does is lowering the average time it will take to get a "decent" item.

Personal preferences are what they are and should stay personal, but there is no evidence to call MF garbage just because you haven't gained anything from farming with it.

MF is garbage I dont care what some spreadsheet or 30 page forum post says.
    OK, lets ignore the closest you will get to scientific evidence how MF works because you had bad experiences with RNG.

So how can you say they are right and I am wrong? I know what I got and I know that only 1 item in 2 months of farming has actually sold for a decent amount.
    Because they have documented drops of tens of thousands of items to base their statistical analysis on and you have your "knowledge".

So I refuse to ever use MF gear again as no matter how high I got it and how long I farmed all I got was crap.
    Have fun getting crappy drops for more effort, no one is forcing you to use MF to get additional drops with an enhanced chance at more properties, I merely posted evidence that MF does work and how it works in great detail, if you choose to remain ignorant despite that is your choice entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Suuki View Post
    but there is no evidence to call MF garbage just because you haven't gained anything from farming with it.
    Thats the evidence right there. Not getting decent loot even with a high MF pretty much proves, at least in my own playing, that the stat is useless. Now sure there might be other people out there farming the same things I am with the same MF and are getting set pieces and legendaries and 6 affix loot worth millions every day. Great for them but in my case Im not getting a damn thing. But whos to say whos right and whos wrong? People can say Im wrong for saying its a useless stat but am I? If i am wrong and MF isnt useless then that means I should be getting at least a few decent drops every week, but Im not.

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    I merely posted evidence that MF does work and how it works in great detail, if you choose to remain ignorant despite that is your choice entirely.
    I have read that post several times and I understand what they are showing. Again thats their experiences not mine. My experience tells me MF sucks because it has never gotten me any good items. Your experiences might be totally different and tell you MF is good because you get good drops that sell for a lot. Both of us are right because in your case MF is good and in my case it isnt.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-18 at 09:00 PM.

Thats the evidence right there. Not getting decent loot even with a high MF pretty much proves, at least in my own playing, that the stat is useless. Now sure there might be other people out there farming the same things I am with the same MF and are getting set pieces and legendaries and 6 affix loot worth millions every day. Great for them but in my case Im not getting a damn thing. But whos to say whos right and whos wrong? People can say Im wrong for saying its a useless stat but am I? If i am wrong and MF isnt useless then that means I should be getting at least a few decent drops every week, but Im not.

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 04:59 PM ----------

I have read that post several times and I understand what they are showing. Again thats their experiences not mine. My experience tells me MF sucks because it has never gotten me any good items. Your experiences might be totally different and tell you MF is good because you get good drops that sell for a lot. Both of us are right because in your case MF is good and in my case it isnt.

You... fail....at.... statistics. I'm glad you're the one being an outlier though.

And with all your help me posts, it's quite obvious you have very little understanding of the game or it's mechanics. Surely you know better than others on the usefulness of a stat or how it it functions.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-08-18 at 09:07 PM.