Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    That is completely inaccurate. Do you think you'd be very healthy if you ate 2000 calories worth of rocks a day?
    If said diet of rocks, and I quote, "fits your macro-nutrient, micro-nutrient and calorie requirements for the day", yes, yes you'd be very healthy. You've missed a major point of their post. You can eat whatever you want, so long as that diet fulfills your physiological needs, period.

School hours: I'm at college, studying medicine (3rd year) and will go from now on to the hospital every morning; afternoons should be free.
    Weight: 206
    Height: 6'10
    Measurements (Waist/Hips/Wrist) (Waist is most important): don't really know, quite substantial though
    Activity Level: I play tennis 2 days a week, 3 hours per sessions; in the last 2 months I started doing push ups (20 per day...), 50 abs and every other day I go for about 1 mile of jogging.
    Goal: I noticed taking the stairs just exhausts me, so this summer tried to work out more. I would like to drop about 15-20 pounds, and the exercises I did in the last 2 months didn't seem to waste more than 4 pounds. Granted, I didn't change my diet at all, and ocasionally eat around 1am. Seems like the more I exercise, the more I want to drink soda and other sugar high drinks.

I will go to college soon and won't have that much time, so my question is: what is better, jogging or abs+push-ups? Or a mix of all?
    Last edited by Piggo; 2012-08-20 at 10:48 AM.

To the poster above,

Doing ab workouts isn't gonna change much, nor is just doing push ups. If you want to lose weight, eat less. You seem to be working out a fair bit already, 6 hours of tennis a week is not a bad amount at all. If you make sure you eat less calories than you need on a daily basis, you'll lose weight.

I feel your pain with the sugary drinks though, I really enjoy those as well and I just can't drink water all day, water makes me more thirsty for some weird reason. I still drink sugary drinks but less. If you cut it out completely you'll just miss it more.

If you do get tired by just using the stairs, I'd suggest some aerobic exercise, like jogging or cycling or perhaps swimming, even rowing would work. Something to get your heart pumping. Eating late isn't really that big a deal, but a lot of people swear by not eating that late at night, I think it's a bit up to you, as long as you keep your calories low it shouldn't be that bad.

Just to add here, I'm not an expert in any way, shape or form. I just like reading health related things and I work out myself. I suggest you do some reading of your own as well, it can't hurt.
    Last edited by Souma; 2012-08-20 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    If said diet of rocks, and I quote, "fits your macro-nutrient, micro-nutrient and calorie requirements for the day", yes, yes you'd be very healthy. You've missed a major point of their post. You can eat whatever you want, so long as that diet fulfills your physiological needs, period.
    ... not all fats are created equal.

I'd like to see what kind of background/credentials you have to validate your opinions on nutrition/fitness.
    Yes, I would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    ... not all fats are created equal.
    While true, I'll repeat this again, if your diet fills your macro-nutrient, micro-nutrient, and calorie requirements, you can eat whatever you want and be healthy. This means that your macro/micro nutrient and calorie requirements are met, not short-changed, and not exceeded, but met.

No one needs trans or saturated fats. There is no micro nutrient need for them. But to suggest you cannot eat any is ridiculous. Also, not all micronutrients are the same: studies indicate that vitamins from vegetables are superior to those from pills. You are simplifying things wayyyy too much. Your statement is tantamount to saying: so long as you eat enough of the right type of food but not too much of the wrong type of food, you can eat whatever you want.

I thought I'd toss in a tid bit of experience I have in weight gain(for those who are underweight and are smokers.)
    24/m
    5'10
    155lbs
    Activity: I usually play hockey 3 days a week for 1-2 hours per day, with w/e off ice training I do.

This offseason I've accumulated some fat because I haven't done much from a meniscus tear in my right knee. I've started to do some light activity as of late but I'm kind of limited from post concussion syndrome(people often don't make a big deal about it, but it's horrible.) I feel I'm at a good weight for my height right now. I'd like to eventually get up to around the 180 area without gaining a lot of unnecessary fat.

Back to the point of my post. Based on my experience if you're super skinny and underweight like I was and you're also a smoker, you'll start gaining if you quit. I was grossly underweight. I weighed about 120 all through high school and up until about a year and a half ago(after I quit.) Most of the weight went to my legs(as muscle) since I started playing hockey again. Staying active and eating right is key to not accumulating fat after you quit smoking. It's a very hard thing to do, but it's worth it. If you're a smoker that plans on quiting don't take it lightly. It's a struggle almost every day of the week even a year after. Strong will is key.

I do see that there's quite a few posters with good BMI. BMI isn't a good judging of health but a good judge of height to weight ratio.

Apologies if this post was somewhat off topic. I'm also not a medical expert, this is just what I've learned from my experience.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cauzt1cz; 2012-08-24 at 02:47 PM.

I'm gonna make a long detailed post since I'm doing just that atm. but I'm going out so I will add my 2 cents when I come back! and it comes with photos !

LOL

P1: Don't eat bad food!
    Smart Guy: There's no such thing as bad food!
    P1: -.- Yes there is. Cake vs. Leafy greens.
    Smart Guy: NO, just eat any food that's nutritious and good for you and doesn't go over your calorie limit!!!!!

/facepalm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maios View Post
    LOL

P1: Don't eat bad food!
    Smart Guy: There's no such thing as bad food!
    P1: -.- Yes there is. Cake vs. Leafy greens.
    Smart Guy: NO, just eat any food that's nutritious and good for you and doesn't go over your calorie limit!!!!!

/facepalm
    People that think that are a lost cause.

Deleted
    I'd like to see what kind of background/credentials you have to validate your opinions on nutrition/fitness.
    It's the internet, you don't need credentials to be an expert on the internet. /snigger.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Supplements don't even do anything really. I wouldn't take them at all.
    phuck I can't believe how stupid this sub-forum is, your quote is an example, why would you even make that statement when you're clearly clueless, do you even know what a supplement is? multi-vitamins are supplements and you're saying they dont do anything? oh and what whey protein doesnt do anything? apart from giving you protein? seriously please dont bother with giving advice, also to the guy you're quoting he is also stupid, supplements such as whey protein, fish oils, multivitamins and creatine are okay and they do work (you will want to drink a lot of water when you're taking creatine though) furthermore Doctors are stupid when it comes to supplements, as they have no clue about them, sure they know how to treat cancer and other things it doesnt mean they know jack shit about e.g. protein, some will though that have actually studied it but most dont actually learn about it at uni

Quote Originally Posted by Terk View Post
    phuck I can't believe how stupid this sub-forum is, your quote is an example, why would you even make that statement when you're clearly clueless, do you even know what a supplement is? multi-vitamins are supplements and you're saying they dont do anything? oh and what whey protein doesnt do anything? apart from giving you protein? seriously please dont bother with giving advice, also to the guy you're quoting he is also stupid, supplements such as whey protein, fish oils, multivitamins and creatine are okay and they do work (you will want to drink a lot of water when you're taking creatine though) furthermore Doctors are stupid when it comes to supplements, as they have no clue about them, sure they know how to treat cancer and other things it doesnt mean they know jack shit about e.g. protein, some will though that have actually studied it but most dont actually learn about it at uni
    Multivitamins are pointless if you have a good diet to begin with. They are a band-aid for people who dont eat healthy. Whey protein metabolizes faster than other proteins but I have yet to read a study that shows that metabolizing protein faster is at all beneficial. I have read studies that show creatine increases strength by 5% on average. I took it for about a year and noticed no difference. So sure, take your magic pills and snake oils if it makes you feel better but in the grand scheme of thing, no supplement will makeup for having a proper diet and healthy outlook.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-09-02 at 06:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Multivitamins are pointless if you have a good diet to begin with. They are a band-aid for people who dont eat healthy. Whey protein metabolizes faster than other proteins but I have yet to read a study that shows that metabolizing protein faster is at all beneficial. I have read studies that show creatine increases strength by 5% on average. I took it for about a year and noticed no difference. So sure, take your magic pills and snake oils if it makes you feel better but in the grand scheme of thing, no supplement will makeup for having a proper diet and healthy outlook.
    Your assuming that most people eat a healthy diet everyday. Theres a lot of people who doesn't get every vitamin they need to function at peak levels. Taking a vitamin pill won't work as magic as it sounds like you expect, but i assure you most people can benefit from a daily multivitamin pill.

Whey protein compared to casein does yield better results directly after training, besides whey protein is cheaper than almost any other source of protein. People who claim that whey protein is useless or doesn't 'work' clearly has no knowledge about nutrition. If you eat perfect in every meal, every day, every time then no you could argue that whey protein is useless. But let's face it. Its alot more expensive to eat perfectly, and who has the time or effort to do it? Protein whey is a supplement to a already good diet, its nothing else. If you don't eat properly from a start, whey protein isn't the answer, but to those who eat well but still has troubles reaching protein macros or doesn't have the time for a meal filled with protein during busy times then whey protein is the answer.

Heres 1 minute of digging: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TFPostProtein.html http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0818132225.htm

About the creatine. Creatine doesn't directly affect your strength levels. Creatine mainly increases burst strength which isn't directly related. You can't really average it since its much different how some people respond to it. I don't feel much difference when taking creatine for example, but it does over a period increase my max output. However a friend of mine does over a 2 week loading period get significantly better output. Last source i've seen said that about 25% of all people is so called non-responders. Non-responders is just people with naturally higher occuring creatine levels, which means the extra supplement doesn't do much.

"no supplement will makeup for having a proper diet and healthy outlook.".

I would bet my right arm that there is a lot of supplements that you could benefit from, and everyone else. Sure with the perfect diet there wouldn't be many supplements that made sense, but as mentioned earlier. Eating a perfect 3-6 meals a day that exactly fits your macros and micros is pretty expensive and time consuming. I'm a poor and busy student, i can't afford it with either money or time. You need to understand what supplements are, not pretend that they're some overhyped magic shit, only people who doesn't understand supplement tend to belive that.

Quote Originally Posted by Labze View Post
    Your assuming that most people eat a healthy diet everyday. Theres a lot of people who doesn't get every vitamin they need to function at peak levels. Taking a vitamin pill won't work as magic as it sounds like you expect, but i assure you most people can benefit from a daily multivitamin pill.

Whey protein compared to casein does yield better results directly after training, besides whey protein is cheaper than almost any other source of protein. People who claim that whey protein is useless or doesn't 'work' clearly has no knowledge about nutrition. If you eat perfect in every meal, every day, every time then no you could argue that whey protein is useless. But let's face it. Its alot more expensive to eat perfectly, and who has the time or effort to do it? Protein whey is a supplement to a already good diet, its nothing else. If you don't eat properly from a start, whey protein isn't the answer, but to those who eat well but still has troubles reaching protein macros or doesn't have the time for a meal filled with protein during busy times then whey protein is the answer.

Heres 1 minute of digging: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TFPostProtein.html http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0818132225.htm

About the creatine. Creatine doesn't directly affect your strength levels. Creatine mainly increases burst strength which isn't directly related. You can't really average it since its much different how some people respond to it. I don't feel much difference when taking creatine for example, but it does over a period increase my max output. However a friend of mine does over a 2 week loading period get significantly better output. Last source i've seen said that about 25% of all people is so called non-responders. Non-responders is just people with naturally higher occuring creatine levels, which means the extra supplement doesn't do much.

"no supplement will makeup for having a proper diet and healthy outlook.".

I would bet my right arm that there is a lot of supplements that you could benefit from, and everyone else. Sure with the perfect diet there wouldn't be many supplements that made sense, but as mentioned earlier. Eating a perfect 3-6 meals a day that exactly fits your macros and micros is pretty expensive and time consuming. I'm a poor and busy student, i can't afford it with either money or time. You need to understand what supplements are, not pretend that they're some overhyped magic shit, only people who doesn't understand supplement tend to belive that.
    Both links you gave me were not studies. They are hearsay. I cannot read the methodology or interpret the results themselves. I do not know what these people they were testing were eating otherwise or anything else about them. For instance, maybe these people have a low protein diet to begin with and their amino levels are low to begin with. If that were the case, it would make good sense that eating protein right after working out may be beneficial. However, if someone has a large amount of protein in their diet and consistently eats protein (and therefore has a high basal amino level), then maybe whey wouldn't be effective. But I cannot say because I cannot read the study!

I cook almost all my meals, have protein in all of them, and consistently eat fruits, vegetables, and nuts. I use to use whey but the taste was always so synthetic that I couldn't deal with it. Regular food just tastes sooo much better and if that means I don't get slightly larger, then fuck it! Some things are more important than being able to dead lift over 600 lbs.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-09-02 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
    My point was about weight loss, not nutrition as a whole. I was just trying to get the point across that weight loss has nothing to do with what you eat as long as you burn more calories than you eat.
    It can be considerably easier to lose weight on a low-carb diet than a high-carb diet. Hunger is hugely reduced on a low-carb/low-glycemic diet. For someone who's trying to lose weight and has trouble with hunger, intrusive thoughts of food, and so on, I'd recommend giving a strict low-carb plan a try. It can be tremendously helpful.

However, if you are getting more than a few hundred calories exercise in a day, you will want some carbs. The kind of hunger you get once you have continued to exercise past the point of depleting your glycogen stores is best satisfied by simple carbs like starch and/or sugar. Happily, if you eat these carbs immediately before or after exercise (or during, as gu packs or sports drinks or whatever), they will be converted to glycogen and won't mess with your blood sugar in the way that they do when you are resting.

Losing weight and exercising to gain muscle mass are actually pretty difficult activities to combine unless you are training hard, many hours per day, and have very good control of your diet. Some people magically do this, but they are genetically predisposed mesomorphs whose bodies work this way, or they just have unusually strong focus and willpower. For most people I'd recommend you lose weight first, with a low to moderate level of exercise, and then when you have taken care of that, you can work on building muscle mass.

If you are wanting to do some work in the gym while you are losing weight, that's fine; do light to moderate exercises that build your core and your more vulnerable muscles like your back and knees, so that you'll be less likely to injure yourself when you start training harder later.

I'm 6 foot 2 but 150 pounds. I've run marathons so I guess by that definition I'm much more fit than most gamers. My problem is the opposite. I want to GAIN weight. I'm a twig. I can run for days but I can't beat just about anyone in a bench press. Hell, I struggle with just the bar, lol. I have a super fast metabolism and I've tried before to gain weight and failed. I'm not looking to get weightlifter bodybuilder bulky, but it would be nice if I could actually put and keep some weight on
    Last edited by muckraker18; 2012-09-02 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muckraker18 View Post
    I'm 6 foot 2 but 150 pounds. I've run marathons so I guess by that definition I'm much more fit than most gamers. My problem is the opposite. I want to GAIN weight. I'm a twig. I can run for days but I can't beat just about anyone in a bench press. Hell, I struggle with just the bar, lol. I have a super fast metabolism and I've tried before to gain weight and failed. I'm not looking to get weightlifter bodybuilder bulky, but it would be nice if I could actually put and keep some weight on
    Stop running, lift heavy 2-3 days a week, and eat like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by muckraker18 View Post
    You don't have some super fast magic metabolism that prevents you from gaining weight. You simply do not eat enough food. I am training for a marathon myself right now, and also lift weights and rock climb several times per week. I have to eat 5,000 calories per day to maintain my weight.

You need to determine how many calories your body uses per day. There are plenty of calculators online to give you an estimate that should account for your activity level. Once you get your maintenance calories, increase it by an additional 500 calories. This should allow you to gain roughly 1 pound per week. If you want to actually put on muscle then you need to dedicate some gym time. bodybuilding.com has a lot of good info on weight lifting routines.