Deleted

Graphics card (possibly) overheating?

Sup.
    So here's the deal:
    Whenever I play BF3, I can play for a good 2hrs straight before, suddenly, my screen freezes and I must hard restart my computer.
    I notice it crashes whenever the temperature of my graphics card reaches 48 degrees. Now, whenever I play, I always stop when I reach 45-46 and exit BF3, and wait for it to get down to the 30's, then continue playing. However, it's too much of a hassle to keep doing this, so what do you suggest I do? Buy a new fan? Or I could possibly lower the settings? I play on high, and it runs fine, no lag or anything. But it really puts the stress on my fan and card; I can hear the fan literally crying under the effort.
    Edit: I also have a fairly shitty PC, but it's new, and It's tough times here in the UK, so I cant go and buy a new graphics card straight away.
    I also play on 'auto' settings, which, I think, adjusts the graphics to what it think my PC can run fine, which is high. Might lower it to medium or low, test that.
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-21 at 10:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i cant imagine 46C is overheating, what card is it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    i cant imagine 46C is overheating, what card is it?
    http://instore.computerorbit.co.uk/I...ic=550TIASU1GB. Fairly shitty, but it runs all the games I want fine. Except BF3,
    ofc.
    edit: it's factory overclocked too.
    also, it's at 48 degrees that it crashes; possibly higher, since I have to restart my pc and then check, which gives it time to cool down.
    It's not the one on the picture either, the retards at Orbit seem to think the 560 and 550 are the same.
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-21 at 10:53 PM.

Is it in warranty? There is no possible way it's overheating at 48C. I have run numerous cards at upwards up 75C+ without problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoke View Post
    Is it in warranty? There is no possible way it's overheating at 48C. I have run numerous cards at upwards up 75C+ without problems.
    That's what I was thinking. I looked up the issue, apparently it's not just the graphics, there's a shitton of other stuff which causes it, like punk buster or some admin thing, which works for some people. Also yes, 1 year warranty. Got it 3-4 months ago.
    According to ASUS Smartdoctor it's running at 37 degrees. That would last about 1/2 hours until it crashed at 48 again. I dont know why, but it's always 48. Not 49, not 47, 48. Really odd.
    I lowered the overclocking a bit, it's running a little better.
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-21 at 10:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuraku View Post
    Sup.
    So here's the deal:
    Whenever I play BF3, I can play for a good 2hrs straight before, suddenly, my screen freezes and I must hard restart my computer.
    I notice it crashes whenever the temperature of my graphics card reaches 48 degrees. Now, whenever I play, I always stop when I reach 45-46 and exit BF3, and wait for it to get down to the 30's, then continue playing. However, it's too much of a hassle to keep doing this, so what do you suggest I do? Buy a new fan? Or I could possibly lower the settings? I play on high, and it runs fine, no lag or anything. But it really puts the stress on my fan and card; I can hear the fan literally crying under the effort.
    Edit: I also have a fairly shitty PC, but it's new, and It's tough times here in the UK, so I cant go and buy a new graphics card straight away.
    I also play on 'auto' settings, which, I think, adjusts the graphics to what it think my PC can run fine, which is high. Might lower it to medium or low, test that.

I am shooting from the hip here, but try this: Get MSI Afterburner and clock the core down about 20MHz. I have a Gigabyte 560ti and it was doing the same thing. My card was a SOC, however and after I did that, it fixed it. I also set the fan to 100% speed too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I am shooting from the hip here, but try this: Get MSI Afterburner and clock the core down about 20MHz. I have a Gigabyte 560ti and it was doing the same thing. My card was a SOC, however and after I did that, it fixed it. I also set the fan to 100% speed too.
    Shit, are you sure my fan will be okay? I just did that, it literally sounds like some kind of rapid fire P90 or something like that. Not really a clacking bullet sound, but something like that.
    Edit: Ah nvm, after a while it calms down. Took its time like, was waiting about 5 minutes.
    Nice, it's down to 30 degrees, lowest it's ever been. I'll try out BF3 now, I'll report back when - if - it breaks.
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-21 at 11:06 PM.

You can set a scaling fan increase instead, so say it's run at 40c you could have your fan run at 30%, it goes up to 50c up it 40%. You basically set up a graph so it hits all point in between too. Really useful
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

Shit, are you sure my fan will be okay? I just did that, it literally sounds like some kind of rapid fire P90 or something like that. Not really a clacking bullet sound, but something like that.
    Edit: Ah nvm, after a while it calms down. Took its time like, was waiting about 5 minutes.
    It should be fine, I mean it should just sound like a fan set at a high rpm(duh), unless it actually sounds like something is loose in the fan you shouldn't have any problems running it at 100%. Just be sure you turn it down when you are running applications that don't have the crashing problem if it does work.

Deleted
    Nice. Loaded up really quickly there, isn't as sluggish as it was.
    GUYZ! I GOT GOOD NEWZ!
    It just went past 48 - and got to 52! And it didn't crash! YAY!
    Lol, I'm making it sound like i've reached some sort of world breaking milestone when some people have gotten into the 70's.
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-21 at 11:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtaliin View Post
    I don't think you should just write off the problem as the graphics card overheating... 48c is by no means hot for a GPU. I have a 550ti and it idles at that temperature. Have you checked to see if your CPU is possibly overheating?
    Nah, CPU is fine.
    Edit: Lol, when you see someone on like a tiny amount of health manage to dodge the bullets, leap infront of the enemy and then grab his dogtags and kill him, you gotta think: ''Respect to you, mah brudda''
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-21 at 11:26 PM.

According to ASUS Smartdoctor it's running at 37 degrees. That would last about 1/2 hours until it crashed at 48 again. I dont know why, but it's always 48. Not 49, not 47, 48. Really odd.
    The AI Suite that comes with my ASUS motherboard under reports CPU temperatures. The ASUS Smartdoctor might have the same problem.

Maybe try another program like GPU-Z or Aida64?

Deleted
    I wish the snipers were more like BF2. In this, for a 1shot kill its gotta be in headshot, but in BF2 it was chest AND head area.
    Thats for the mod 0 and russian ones anyway. And that bolt action one you get early.
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-21 at 11:49 PM.

Maybe your video card was set to work on higher clock rate than it should be... You may try using some overclocking tools in order to clock it down a bit. Don't know if it would solve your problem, but you can always set your settings back.

Nevermind... I didn't notice you have already solved your problem
    Last edited by JGeek; 2012-08-22 at 11:11 PM.

I wouldn't leave your fan on 100% if that's what you're doing. It's going to dramatically reduce the life of the fan's bearings.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics