Migrating to an SSD

Hello! So I am getting a new 256g ssd. I was wondering if it's possible for me to do a fresh windows install (seems like the best idea since it avoids getting all my old errors w/e) by disconnecting my currend hdd and then once the install is complete, reconnect my hdd and just point and click transfer things to the ssd that I want on it (warcraft, bf3, w/e).

Obviously I'd have to delete windows then on my hdd at some point, I don't really know when or how to do this.

I'd love any help people can offer Thanks!
    "We are dwarfs, but dwarfs who stand on the shoulders of those giants, and in our insignificance we are able then to see further than they over the horizon." Umberto Eco - Il nome della rosa

A fantastic guide to what's not in the constitution! http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#life

Deleted
    Most of those games will need to be fresh installed as you are putting a new copy of Windows on it. Its not just a case of moving the files, Theres loads of registry keys that need to be in registry for the things to work that will be missing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't even have to take out the old HDD out when you install windows. Just boot from your CDRAM drive with the Windows CD in there and select the SSD when it asks where you want to install. You can take out the old HDD if you so wish but I didn't when I got my SSD. As for deleting windows on the old HDD it's as simple as just deleting the file "WINDOWS" I believe.
    Last edited by Promethieus; 2012-08-22 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Most of those games will need to be fresh installed as you are putting a new copy of Windows on it. Its not just a case of moving the files, Theres loads of registry keys that need to be in registry for the things to work that will be missing.
    I can't speak for BF3, but I do know for a fact that WoW/SC2/D3 can just have their directories copied over and work fine. In the past (and recent past at that) have copied them to and run all of them off of an external HD on a work laptop while traveling for business.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

this used to be a big deal but it's not anymore. lots of games you can easily just copy and paste.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    this used to be a big deal but it's not anymore. lots of games you can easily just copy and paste.
    BF3 works fine aswell. Its WINDOWS in itself you do not want to copy over imo. Again this is an opinion but still it can be done w/o huge issues.

Really? Was just reading a wow blue post that said you just can just drab and drop wow and it will auto update through the launcher. TBH I don't mind fresh installing the other games, and now that I look at the post again it looks like it only works with wow b/c of the launcher which updates everything automatically. So, migrate wow, fresh install BF3 and w/e I feel like putting on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Runecapeman View Post
    You don't even have to take out the old HDD out when you install windows. Just boot from your CDRAM drive with the Windows CD in there and select the SSD when it asks where you want to install. You can take out the old HDD if you so wish but I didn't when I got my SSD. As for deleting windows on the old HDD it's as simple as just deleting the file "WINDOWS" I believe.
    Oh, excellent! Although deleting the windows folder sounds moderately terrifying! Is that really all there is to it?
    Last edited by Tandrius; 2012-08-22 at 04:34 PM.
    "We are dwarfs, but dwarfs who stand on the shoulders of those giants, and in our insignificance we are able then to see further than they over the horizon." Umberto Eco - Il nome della rosa

A fantastic guide to what's not in the constitution! http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#life

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Due to registry being less relevant.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    I've just bought a new SSD aswell and i'm very happy with it. Although i reformated my old HDD. But if you can't be bothered to reinstall all your games etc, theres alot of software, norton ghost for example (haven't actually tried this one so i can't say if it's good or bad), that lets you copy things on your old hard drive and put it on another.

Thanks everyone, you answered before I finished my reply. Any answer to deleting windows on the old hd? Is it really just as simple as deleting the windows folder?

Edit: I heard Norton Ghost was terrible. Technically I can get it with my hard drive for an additional 10 dollars, but everyone said don't bother it's junk.
    Last edited by Tandrius; 2012-08-22 at 04:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandrius View Post

Oh, excellent! Although deleting the windows folder sounds moderately terrifying! Is that really all there is too it?
    Yeah just make sure to change the boot order in the bios so that it will boot from your SSD instead of your old HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    Yeah just make sure to change the boot order in the bios so that it will boot from your SSD instead of your old HDD.
    Perfect, thanks! It's funny, I used to be terrified to work with hardware before I realized it was mostly plug and play. Now it's the software I'm afraid of. Especially since I don't know a lot about partitions and working with the Bios, etc. But I imagine a lot of it is as easy to pick up as building my computer was in the first place.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Thanks everyone, you answered before I finished my reply. Any answer to deleting windows on the old hd? Is it really just as simple as deleting the windows folder?
    Well, I would recommend you format the drive instead of just deleting the Windows folder. There are hidden system files and folders such as Program Data, pagefile.sys, recycle bin entries, system restore points, etc. If you have a large enough external hard drive, move all of your stuff there and then format the old hard drive (should be quick). Then you can move everything back. There's also another way to format a hard drive by itself without losing any data, but its inconvenient and requires a certain amount of free space.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-08-22 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Well, I would recommend you format the drive instead of just deleting the Windows folder. There are hidden system files and folders such as Program Data, pagefile.sys, recycle bin entries, system restore points, etc. If you have a large enough external hard drive, move all of your stuff there and then format the old hard drive (should be quick). Then you can move everything back. There's also another way to format a hard drive by itself without losing any data, but its inconvenient and requires a certain amount of free space.
    The computer is only a year old so the hard drive is still pretty empty. I'll transfer to my external and then reformat.

15+ Year Old Account
    For me when I mirrored my drive, I had my games on another hard drive. And windows repair fixed 95% of my problems. All my other problems were very easy to fix.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The computer is only a year old so the hard drive is still pretty empty. I'll transfer to my external and then reformat.
    I would recommend formatting as well. There are a lot of system files outside of the windows directory and lots of stuff that you may end up having doubles of.
    make sure there's nothing in your c:\users\ folder that you want to lose as well.

Deleted
    I just moved to an SSD recently and I just installed windows onto the SSD, while leaving my old OS drive as it was before. it doesn't matter that it has windows installed if you have the SSD first in the boot order as it will use that to boot up and ignore your old copy of windows. after booting up on the SSD I then used device manager along with my old windows installation to install all of my drivers. it was a really easy process which actually saved a lot of hassle regarding drive installation as I don't have a CD drive and the ethernet port wasn't working without the motherboard drivers installed.

regarding games, I just copied and pasted all of the folders onto my second storage device and they all run and work fine. the only game that wasn't working was league of legends although that was easy to fix with the repair function on the launcher. the only downside to copy and pasting the games is that they will not technically be installed and will therefore not show up on control panel. there may be a way to do this but it doesn't bother me so I never looked it up.
    Last edited by mmoce6d6d6a277; 2012-08-22 at 07:36 PM.

Definitely unplug the old hard drive when you install windows. Also move your SSD so that it's plugged into the first HD slot on your motherboard. These steps aren't technically necessary, but they will make it simpler and easier.

Enable AHCI in the bios as well.

You can copy your personal files from your old windows directory (desktop / my documents, etc), but I wouldn't copy anything else from windows. You can delete the old windows with admin priveleges.