Poll: Would you push the button on the Box and take 1Million

Thread: The Box

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Box

Yes I'm ripping this off a movie. But the moral choice still stands. Let's say you were struggling with your job. You needed money for something and a man showed up at your house. He offered you the chance of a lifetime.

He said all you would have to do is press a red button and someone whom you don't know will die. You will also get 1 million dollars in cash tax free. If you don't accept his offer he takes the box, simply leaves. That's the end of it. No more offers. That was your last and only one.

The million dollar question, do you press the button and take the money or say so. And try to be sincere how you would be in that situation.
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2012-09-06 at 11:53 AM.

I'd push it, maybe keep $100,000 for myself and donate the rest to charity to benefit others. End of the day in my scenario it's one life to help thousands of others.

Can't harm someone else for my own greedy benefit. No button for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    I'd push it, maybe keep $100,000 for myself and donate the rest to charity to benefit others. End of the day in my scenario it's one life to help thousands of others.
    $1 000 000
    - $100 000
    $900 000
    /1000 'thousands of others'
    =$900 per person.

End of the day... someones life > $900...

No, i wouldn't push it.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    snip
    Way I see it it's one life to help many others. If I HAD to keep the money for only myself then no I woudn't press it but assuming I can do what I like with it, if I were to donate that $900,000 to UNICEF that could go a very long way and save well over 100 other people.

So im viewing it as 100 lives > 1.

It's a interesting hypothetical since there is alot of variety in the decision as to why they would push it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    Way I see it it's one life to help many others. If I HAD to keep the money for only myself then no I woudn't press it but assuming I can do what I like with it, if I were to donate that $900,000 to UNICEF that could go a very long way and save well over 100 other people.

So im viewing it as 100 lives > 1.

It's a interesting hypothetical since there is alot of variety in the decision as to why they would push it.
    Yah...unicef, so the money could be used to buy guns and kill more people....nice choice /facepalm
    FYI everyone else on the planet, since the 80's has known unicef is a scam to buy more guns in a place where the flag has an AK47 on it and the moral high ground is a shifting sand dune, and said guns were used to kill innocents.

OT:Personally, I don't know, have to think on that some more.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably press the button

15+ Year Old Account
    No. A life is worth more than that to me.

Deleted
    Someone you dont know will die anyway.
    Might as well get a million bucks for something that happens all the time.

Deleted
    But what if your life was the one the button ended... ...ooooooo do you see?

Tbh I'd probably "accidently" lean on it, or pretend I thought it was an ashtray or something.
    Last edited by mmoc53a5d0407d; 2012-09-06 at 01:03 AM.

I wouldn't press it. You would probably lose the money anyways as the government would assume you stole it and they would take the money away from you.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't press it. I'd need to know who I was killing deserved it. I'd push the button if I could choose who dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerra View Post
    But what if your life was the one the button ended... ...ooooooo do you see?

Tbh I'd probably "accidently" lean on it, or pretend I thought it was an ashtray or something.
    You know yourself....

No I would not, heard this a couple times and each time came to the conclusion. I can't put a money value on an innocent's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    No I would not, heard this a couple times and each time came to the conclusion. I can't put a money value on an innocent's life.
    You can't make that assumption, you could be doing good as it might be a rapist or murder that dies.

I would do it, I mean unless the guy gave me proof that me pressing the button killed someone, I would just think it's some twisted high stakes experiment.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-09-06 at 03:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, I'd press it more than once if I was allowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because the people who push the button become the next target... I watched the movie... So no... now if I was told I wasn't going to be chosen ever or see the person ever again... yea I would. Not like this planet would be endangered if another human died.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

No, I would not.
    ——————▲—————▲———
    ————————————————
    ———▼—————▼——————
    —Ⓐ—————Ⓐ————————

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    You know yourself....
    The logic behind what he's saying is that you "don't know yourself", because you're stooping to such a low, that you're becoming a "monster", doing things you didn't know you're capable of. Or something along those lines.

Either way, I've answered this thread four different times, and my answer remains the same: No, I wouldn't push the button. A life, no matter who it is, is more valuable than money.