Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What can Ret pallys solo nowadays?

In terms on soloing content. What can a ret pally solo? Im torn between a Paladin or Warlock. Help me out.

60 raids, 70 raids, 80 raids, onyxia etc etc

you can solo most things as ret, and if the damage is to high go to a prot spec using ret gear.

you can do all the classic content such as

AQ20
    AQ40 (up to twins and skipping visc)
    MC
    TK
    SSC (4/6)
    Magtheridon
    several bosses in naxx10
    EoE
    2 older bosses in VoA
    all 5mans for the mounts
    Karazhan
    gruul's lair.
    DLK/DW
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

10+ Year Old Account
    lvl80 content : Naxxramas, Sartharion 3D, Malygos, Onyxia, Ulduar, VoA, TotC, ICC.. Looking for some numbers for these ones as well. Trying to get my new MoP main ready.

Quote Originally Posted by friggo View Post
    you can solo most things as ret, and if the damage is to high go to a prot spec using ret gear.

AQ20
    MC
    TK
    SSC (4/6)
    Magtheridon
    several bosses in naxx10
    EoE
    2 older bosses in VoA
    all 5mans for the mounts
    Karazhan
    gruul's lair.
    DLK/DW
    It's *possible* to do twins, issue is you have to exploit it (See Jider's video, it does work, I've done it). Although, with enough sustained (Read: Not burst) DPS you CAN kill them and out damage their healing (See Mione's video).

Some of VoA may be soloable now for a ret, like Archavon, and maybe Emalon since he's a joke now too, its all about minimizing your damage taken from their AoE effects though. Sarth 3D isn't going to happen OP, although a Warlock has done it. Onyxia won't be done by a ret anytime soon due to the air phase and being unable to hit her. Malygos is a MAYBE, I have yet to try that on my retadin, a warlock may be able to do it, spriests have. Ulduar is a no except for Flame Leviathan. TotC and ICC are also gigantic no's for now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awake709 View Post
    lvl80 content : Naxxramas, Sartharion 3D, Malygos, Onyxia, Ulduar, VoA, TotC, ICC.. Looking for some numbers for these ones as well. Trying to get my new MoP main ready.
    Most of Naxx should be possible. I'm not sure about Patchwerk, Gluth, Thaddeus, Four Horsemen (I've gotten close!) and Kel'thuzad, though. If KT iceblocks when you're the only one there, I'm inclined to say it's not possible, otherwise, it may be.

Sarth 3D is a no. Malygos may be possible - I've done it on my Hunter but my pet took a beating. Onyxia, I doubt it, the air phase will take you 14 years without solid ranged attacks.

VoA - at least Archavon and Emalon should be. I took down Koralon once (I can't repeat the kill), but you need to have incredible damage for that one as beyond 2-3 of his damage stacks he'll start to kick your ass so I'd say no.

FL in Ulduar is possible. I haven't tried Ignis, but XT-002 is a pain in the ass and I don't think it's quite possible yet.

ToC and ICC aren't probable right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the replys guys.

To solo Ashes as ret, do I need a prot spec? Or can I go ret with my 407 ret gear

for ashes you don't need a prot spec. there's several tactics on youtube you can look up, they give you a good view on how to position the mobs and macros you can use for the legendary items.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by Reakash View Post
    It's *possible* to do twins, issue is you have to exploit it (See Jider's video, it does work, I've done it). Although, with enough sustained (Read: Not burst) DPS you CAN kill them and out damage their healing (See Mione's video).
    Yup can definitely solo twins now in decent dps gear. Did it on my Dk just through sustained dps. Took about 10 minutes but got it done slowly but surely.

for ashes you don't need a prot spec. there's several tactics on youtube you can look up, they give you a good view on how to position the mobs and macros you can use for the legendary items.
    Don't even have to use legendary items, just spread the elites out across the whole instance, and then have your cooldowns available for the last phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Reakash View Post

Some of VoA may be soloable now for a ret, like Archavon, and maybe Emalon since he's a joke now too, its all about minimizing your damage taken from their AoE effects though. Sarth 3D isn't going to happen OP, although a Warlock has done it. Onyxia won't be done by a ret anytime soon due to the air phase and being unable to hit her. Malygos is a MAYBE, I have yet to try that on my retadin, a warlock may be able to do it, spriests have. Ulduar is a no except for Flame Leviathan. TotC and ICC are also gigantic no's for now.
    Twins are soloable nowadays. Just stack em together, do at least 25k dps and they'll go down steadily.

All soloable as Retribution unless commented otherwise. There are a couple fights where you can do it as Ret w/ a high ilvl but its a million times easier as Prot (I'm thinking Ony, Razorscale, Hodir and Freya).
    Also, there are all sorts of tricks with neat items and with the engineering profession, couple bugs to bypass some mechanics etc. Not really worth diving into as a pally imo.

Classic:
    Molten Core
    AQ20
    AQ40 (except Viscidus and C'thun)
    BWL (except Razorgore - I believe they patched the Razorgore exploit...)

Burning Crusade:
    Tempest Keep (Do not engage the Kael phase with a Gurth sword. If it procs in that phase where he can MC you, you're done son!)
    SSC (except Vashj)
    Gruul's Lair
    Karazhan
    Magtheridon's Lair
    Hyjal Summit
    SWP - (except Kalecgos, maybe Brutallus). Brutallus should be soloable as a prot paladin simply because they can reset the debuff with divine shield. Would need a very high ilvl dps of dps gear. I think if it were to happen you'd have to pull out some tricks like pooling max vengeance before you pull the boss and get good a timing of chaining CDs very well.
    Black Temple - All bosses aside from Reliquary are doable. Burn Gurotgg down, bubble of debuffs heal as needed.
    Najentus just burn down.
    There seems to be a bug with Illidari council where if you pull them and do whatever % of damage... On the 2nd pull their health pool shows 100% but when in combat it goes right back to whatever you got it down to from the 1st pull.

Wrath of the Lich King:
    EoE - Ret
    VoA - Archavon as Ret. Emalon and Koralon as Prot. Toravon probably doable as Prot, haven't tried, too much of a pain to reset stacks.
    Ony - Done as ret
    Naxx - Do Thaddius, Razuvious and Patchwerk as Prot spec. Cannot do Gluth.
    Ulduar - Most of the bosses in here should be done as Prot. Ones that are doable in Ret spec are Hodir, XT, Freya (3 trees down), Razorscale. However, they should be done as prot if your gear sucks.
    Ignis, Mimiron, Iron Council, Kologarn, Auriaya, Vezax should be done as prot as well.

Thorim... Save yourself the time and do this with a friend. My pally is not an engineer and it sucks if you screw up pulling the big add to the arena with using swift boots and potion of swiftness. There's a 20min CD on the boots and really makes it a waste of time to keep trying.
    That's just one issue with Thorim... His stacks get high and damage output is crazy, you'd need good DPS to burn him down. Even some DKs have trouble with him.

Yogg-Saron: This guy is a pushover with 4 lights. Farther down you go with less keepers its more of a pain in the ass RNG fest (P2 tentacle placement, Type of brain room you get etc.) and not worth it to keep trying... Unless you like that kind of thing.

Yogg-Saron 4 lights - Easier to do as Ret than Prot.
    Yogg-Saron 3 lights - Done as ret. Maybe as prot if you have high dps gear to meet dps req in the brain room.
    Yogg-Saron 2 light - Got to p3 as ret once while I was lucky, but took too much damage from the adds while trying to deal with debuffs and lack of Freya / Hodir buff. Couldn't meet dps req in brain room as prot.

Icecrown Citadel - Done Marrowgar as Ret. Haven't tried other bosses.

Ruby Sanctum - Maybe as prot in DPS gear. P3 would get hectic.

Obsidium Sanctum - Havent really tried other than all drakes dead.

ToC - Lol... stay away from this place. I hate it even as a DK.

Cataclysm

Omnitron Defense System: This was done by 2 different DKs with a mix of tank/dps gear and max stam / survival build with dual wield souldrinkers.
    I'd love to try this as a full BiS prot pally to see how far I could make it.

--on a side note, you can invis potion past the trash and engage the boss.

edit: updated
    Last edited by Equalizer; 2012-05-11 at 07:07 PM.

I do 3/4 VoA bosses, Onyxia 10, Kael, and of course Attumen. All the ones I care about. The 4th VoA boss, the frost fella puts a DoT on you that you can't out heal. The fire fella you have to do insane damage, I have almost full BiS and gotta double pot for it or else his stacking buff does too much and ends up killing you.

I do all of these as prot with ret gear and H Souldrinker. Only use BoM and no Kings

I would get a ret solo spec but am so used to going as prot and I barely need any heals.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did Kazzak the other night...
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Most of Naxx should be possible. I'm not sure about Patchwerk, Gluth, Thaddeus, Four Horsemen (I've gotten close!) and Kel'thuzad, though. If KT iceblocks when you're the only one there, I'm inclined to say it's not possible, otherwise, it may be.
    KT never ice blocks his tank.
    Ruby Sanctum - Maybe as prot in DPS gear. P3 would get hectic.
    P3 doesn't look possible. Tried it with going to shadow realm and on start of P3 dragon just healed himself to full. Berserk was kicking in shortly after. But I heard there is a way, specific trick for P3, to solo it?

Deleted
    I'm currently trying to solo my way through Ulduar, but the Iron Council already stops me, since we can't dispel the Fusion Punch anymore.
    Any tips for the council?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If nothing more Equalizer you gave me a way to kill time when I'm bored between now and Pandatime. Thanks for the informative post.

Armory : Fear@Cho'Gall UI Screen : Elv UI Wow Progress : Vindictive
    Cpu : Intel I7-2600k Mem : 16gb Corsair Vengeance Psu : Corsair HX1050 Gfx : EVGA GTX 770

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    All soloable as Retribution unless commented otherwise. SNIP
    Thanks for the info Equalizer, just curious though whether any of the Wrath runs were on 25 or mostly 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    snip
    Naxx is a joke tbh. Ret can do almost all bosses as Ret that I listed. The ones that are sketchy as Ret are, Kel'Thuzad, Anub'Rekhan, Grand Widow Faerlina and Maexxna. You can go Prot for those to play it safe. 4 Horsemen was actually easier as Ret for me.

P3 doesn't look possible. Tried it with going to shadow realm and on start of P3 dragon just healed himself to full. Berserk was kicking in shortly after. But I heard there is a way, specific trick for P3, to solo it?
    I am only speculating that it might be doable with a very high ilvl since I've done it on my DK. Paladin tanks lack the DPS death knights have so you might be pushing the last phase way later and hit the enrage. Getting the boss down is having the Corporeality stack high so you out DPS his heals. He hits like a truck though once he reaches this point.

Quote Originally Posted by fears View Post
    If nothing more Equalizer you gave me a way to kill time when I'm bored between now and Pandatime. Thanks for the informative post.
    Np. If you're looking for more specifics on how to do certain fights, you can check the DK sub forum - Blood Solo Thread. I posted alot of specific stuff in there and others as well. Might be a different class, but most mechanics are the same.

The only reason why I stopped trying for the way harder stuff on my pally was gear issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt66 View Post
    Thanks for the info Equalizer, just curious though whether any of the Wrath runs were on 25 or mostly 10.
    Wrath raids were strictly 10man. 25man can probably be done as prot on some fights (probably just Naxx bosses), but I haven't bothered since I do those on my DK.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaith View Post
    I'm currently trying to solo my way through Ulduar, but the Iron Council already stops me, since we can't dispel the Fusion Punch anymore.
    Any tips for the council?
    This is one of the harder fights so make I suggest you can get as many buffs as you can (Drums of Kings, Strength flask - stam flask if needed, Strength food, Runescroll of Fortitude). Having these goes a long way. Golemblood pots help too. Souldrinker is awesome for pally soloing btw, get that if you can.

For Iron Council I did this in mostly tank gear with a couple DPS pieces (2pc ret). I probably could've used alot more DPS gear but I played it safe. Trinket variation helps alot here. I used a stam trinket w/ dodge proc and although I didn't have Mirror of Broken Images, I used Stay of Execution instead. Think of it as another CD in your arsenal.

Kill order should be Steelbreaker > Rune Master > small caster guy. Most damage is from fusion punch and melee hits. So make sure you're CTC capped or close to it. DPS steelbreaker hard as you can while chaining CDs to deal with fusion punches. You want glyphed divine protection for the magic reduction.

To deal with fusion punches I did something like DP > Sit on 3HP and heal up w/ WoG right after the DoT ticks off > Stay of Execution > DP > Ardent defender + WoG > LoH > DP > GoAK > Divine Shield etc. etc.
    I will switch to seal of insight and spam flash of light myself for some "oh shit" heals. With the WoG cd, its good to sit on 3HP if you can time when you're going to take alot of damage, but using it on CD does also work.

Once steelbreaker is down, the rest is a joke.

Brutallus might be doable
    Tried this last night got 30 something % with some key buffs missing. Gonna try more once I get more offspec gear ;]

AQ20
    MC
    TK
    SSC (4/6)
    Magtheridon
    several bosses in naxx10
    EoE
    2 older bosses in VoA
    all 5mans for the mounts
    Karazhan
    gruul's lair.
    DLK/DW
    You can do 5/6 in SSC, Karathress is soloable but as Equalizer said, you need high ilvl gear to do so. I did it at 390 and I still had a ton of close calls. I frapsed it you're interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj5_8OzYCyo&